Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Traits and film matter more than stats, every single time.
Absolutely. But YouTube highlight clips are not a realistic cross section to form an accurate opinion.

Heres a guy who watched four complete games:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a...19-green-bay-packers-michigan-scouting-report

I saw a few games and he didnt stand out to me. Cant say I looked for him, but he didnt stand out much.

Sorry, but it just doesnt add up. No matter how many excuses you throw out there. The guy played over 1400 snaps in his career and had 9.5 sacks despite being significantly more physically talented than everyone else on the field.

Believe what you want. I have seen with my own eyes and have my own opinion. I'm going to root for this guy, just like I do for every packer player. If you want to believe he is a sure thing, have at it. I am going to remain skeptical because very low production to me is a big red flag.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. But YouTube highlight clips are not a realistic cross section to form an accurate opinion.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a...19-green-bay-packers-michigan-scouting-report

I saw a few games and he didnt stand out to me. Cant say I looked for him, but he didnt stand out much.

Sorry, but it just doesnt add up. No matter how many excuses you throw out there. The guy played over 1400 snaps in his career and had 9.5 sacks despite being significantly more physically talented than everyone else on the field.

Believe what you want. I have seen with my own eyes and have my own opinion. I'm going to root for this guy, just like I do for every packer player. If you want to believe he is a sure thing, have at it. I am going to remain skeptical because very low production to me is a big red flag.

If what you've taken from what I said is that I think he's a sure thing, then you clearly aren't reading what I'm saying. That's the kind of thing Brandon does, and you're better than that.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score

The thing is, how many people on this forum have even watched 4 games of Gary? 2? but have formed an opinion by what they read or from someone else's conclusions? Michigan is my team, I live in Michigan so its easy to watch games. I may be a little biased due to my allegiance to this team, but I think many on this forum have pounded the table for Wisconsin guys, because they are Wisconsin guys. I've watched at least 20 games the past 2 years. Does he have flaws, yes, everyone does, but I also think he excels against the run game, and we need to get better at that. Hopefully he can develop another pass rush move, and if so, I see his sack production going up. When he was picked, I actually was hoping for OL with what was left, or trade back a little. We didn't, and the rest is history and Rashan Gary is a Green Bay Packer, and I'm going to support and root for him everyday, 24/7

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

To be clear, I didn't post the GIF highlights because I think they're a complete cross section of his strengths and weaknesses. I was just throwing out some of his splash plays in the thread dedicated to him as a drafted prospect. I formed my opinion of him based on watching complete games... again, months before he became a Packer. I'm not doubting that you watched games yourself and came to a different conclusion. I don't think it's fair to assume that people who like Gary as a prospect only watched highlights.

I also don't know of anyone who has called Gary a sure thing, or who has denied that his production is a red flag. I, for one, have just pointed out that there weren't any prospects left at #12 that I considered anything like a "sure thing" and they all would have had red flags, except for perhaps Christian Wilkins, who most regard as a high floor, low ceiling prospect.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I hope they have a plan for him, instead of just drafting him for his physical traits
I read on twitter earlier that Pettine was pretty giddy over adding him in the draft....Hopefully Pettine has a plan to develop Gary into a force. Here's a snippet of something when he was the DC for the Jets.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read on twitter earlier that Pettine was pretty giddy over adding him in the draft....Hopefully Pettine has a plan to develop Gary into a force. Here's a snippet of something when he was the DC for the Jets.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
FWIW, he pounded the table for Justin Gilbert as well

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've also noticed that a lot of the nay-sayers are members that barely post, or even names a few years old that even i don't know as a semi-regular visitor/poster here. not saying their opinion is invalid, but hard to take them as seriously as others who are involved in discussions
Some are long time members that only come in to complain and then disappear.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The questions about Gary are within his technique. His stats are explained by his positional role.

If you think he didn't play well, you're not watching the tape.

The MAJOR PROBLEM with GARY is he can't consistently win one on one and you don't draft players this high that can't. I don't care how fast or how high they jump.

There is a certain instinct along with talent that certain guys have that can win one on one. Gary is a lazy entitled player and for his skill set is soft. He just doesn't have it.

He is in the Ra'Shede Hagmen, Malik Mcdowell company. These type of players very rarely ever live up to there talent level. The bust rate is through the roof.

Gute made a rookie mistake here and its gonna cost us big time. Then again he did succeed in adding a PIPE DREAM PLAYER to our PIPE DREAM DEFENSE.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing about the way Gary plays says that he's soft.

His technique and polish is very lacking though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why is the slobbering Parris Campbell zombie complaining about guys he thinks can't win one on one matchups? The wide receiver he's been hammering into our heads for five months literally has to have his touches manufactured because he doesn't know how to run a route and win a matchup.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary had 3 sacks in 2018 vs a cupcake schedule where most of the time the opposing team was behind and the Michigan defense could pin their ears back and rush the passer. If he can't rush the passer in college, then what are the chances he excels in the pro's? What a massive bust pick. My prediction is that he will such a non factor that he will be stashed on the IR at some point this season out of embarrassment. 80% of Big 10 d linemen are busts. If I can do the math why can't Gute and company figure that out.
?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we're considering moving to a 4-3 and plan to keep him on the field as an OLB, a la Anthony Barr. He seems to have absolutely no athletic limitations to prevent him from doing so . And as a Blitzer , we see what happens to TEs and RBs who attempt to block him. Seems like someone who could be a dangerous and disruptive see ball, get-ball player who may legitimately shut down half of the field in the running game

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I wonder if we're considering moving to a 4-3 and plan to keep him on the field as an OLB, a la Anthony Barr. He seems to have absolutely no athletic limitations to prevent him from doing so . And as a Blitzer , we see what happens to TEs and RBs who attempt to block him. Seems like someone who could be a dangerous and disruptive see ball, get-ball player who may legitimately shut down half of the field in the running game
I remember when Pettine was hired, a reporter asked him if he will run a 3-4 or 4-3.... his answer was YES...as in BOTH.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Pettine was hired, a reporter asked him if he will run a 3-4 or 4-3.... his answer was YES...as in BOTH.
At the time, we really didn't have the personnel for a 4-3. With the new D line acquisitions, we do. Which should create more opportunities inside for Daniels and Clark as well. Would be funny if we convert both Gary and Fackrell to OLBs in a 4-3

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good summary. I was surprised at the pick as well. Not really because of the player, more the position. But IMO this is one of those situations when Gute totally stuck with BPA and it is very obvious from Gute's Presser as well as what I have read online, Gary was a guy that the Packers have had on their radar for a long time and they absolutely love him. I'm anxious to here Pettine's comments on Gary. But I have a feeling this is the exact guy that Pettine wanted and needed for what he plans on doing on defense. Adding Savage could be the final piece to a big improvement to the Packer defense.

As you said, if Gary lives up to his abilities, this guy could be phenomenal. I think the Packers are pretty confident that they will be able to get the best out of him. Also, lets face it, the goal for these guys is to make it to the NFL in one piece. Some of them knowing that before they even play one snap of college ball, the NFL is definitely in their future. I love Nick Bosa, but it wasn't like the guy was tearing up college football last year.

We can't really bank on anything Gute or Pettine will say about either of the picks we took in round one. They aren't gonna say "we messed up and this kid will bust". We have to wait and see. I don't recall a lot of folks on other forums I post on were giddy about Kenny Clark either. I'm not saying Gary will be just as good. I'm saying you can't tell how a player will perform until he actually is out there in pads. Some were monsters in college and ended up being not so hot in the NFL and vice versa.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We can't really bank on anything Gute or Pettine will say about either of the picks we took in round one. They aren't gonna say "we messed up and this kid will bust".

I am 1000% sure that neither of them feel that way currently. Especially Gute and I would imagine Pettine was in on the conversations about Gary and Savage. Obviously, that can change over the course of time.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and in a small way, this kind of hit me last night like the Rodgers pick. Not saying it will work out the same. But all I could think of was "WTF, we just paid big bucks for 2 FA OLB's, why are the Packers taking this guy?" I would have felt the same or maybe even more upset, had they traded up and gotten Josh Allen. The more I look at Gary, the more I like. I trust Gute, Pettine and the Packers, that they got not just the BPA but a guy that they feel fits well in their defense.

Is Gary a risk? Sure, but so is most everyone else. I will wait to pass full judgement on the pick until after a year or 2 when I see how it has worked out.

This.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tbh, we don't really run either that much.

We run nickel, and a mix of a 4-2-5 pretty frequently. Nobody runs in just base anymore. It's all about being multiple and flexible, hence the focus on drafting versatile players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts