Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man...none of that fits with the narrative that Gary sucks and was a bad pick! Of course some players make a big impact their rookie seasons, but its quite obvious what the plans for Gary was for the Packers. They had the Smith Brothers and could rotate Gary in as needed and to bring him along slowly in his development. Looks to me like their approach was pretty damn successful. I just hope Gary's injury doesn't knock him out for too long.

Don't forget that first year also Fackrell was here, very capable solid #3.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don't forget that first year also Fackrell was here, very capable solid #3.
Exactly! I think a lot of the people that wrote Gary off are some of the same ones that wrote Love off and maybe even Joe Barry. I know I have been down on certain players, but I at least like to give them a decent opportunity to prove themselves, before jumping into the conversation that they were a terrible pick/trade/FA signing or coach.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly! I think a lot of the people that wrote Gary off are some of the same ones that wrote Love off and maybe even Joe Barry. I know I have been down on certain players, but I at least like to give them a decent opportunity to prove themselves, before jumping into the conversation that they were a terrible pick/trade/FA signing or coach.

I'll say it to my grave, I liked the prospect Love, did not like the pick. :D

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked the Gary pick. Still do. I hated the Love pick still do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll say it to my grave, I liked the prospect Love, did not like the pick. :D
I hated the pick, when it was first made. Had nothing to do with Love, but everything to do with using high draft capital on QB. Especially when it was obvious (at least to me) we had higher immediate needs (WR). However, I did see the rationale behind it as making sense. So without rehashing through all that, I would say I was cautiously optimistic that Gute and the Packers knew what they were doing by drafting him. That verdict has yet to be fully determined.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man...none of that fits with the narrative that Gary sucks and was a bad pick! Of course some players make a big impact their rookie seasons, but its quite obvious what the plans for Gary was for the Packers. They had the Smith Brothers and could rotate Gary in as needed and to bring him along slowly in his development. Looks to me like their approach was pretty damn successful. I just hope Gary's injury doesn't knock him out for too long.
Unless Gary becomes a perennial all pro he will always be one of those guys who in some peoples eyes never lived up to his draft position. A lot of those people will be ones who hated the pick to begin with and are just using his high draft status as an excuse to not have to admit they were wrong.

You judge a player by how he plays and not by where he was drafted. For the most part after 2 years I really don't care if the guy was #1 overall or Mr. Irrelevant. If he's good it was a good pick if he isn't it wasn't

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unless Gary becomes a perennial all pro he will always be one of those guys who in some peoples eyes never lived up to his draft position. A lot of those people will be ones who hated the pick to begin with and are just using his high draft status as an excuse to not have to admit they were wrong.

You judge a player by how he plays and not by where he was drafted. For the most part after 2 years I really don't care if the guy was #1 overall or Mr. Irrelevant. If he's good it was a good pick if he isn't it wasn't
Agree with what you said. I would adjust it a bit (for me) to include "return on investment". Getting a Pro Bowler out of a 7th rounder is an enormously HUGE return on your original investment. Getting a Pro Bowler out of the #1 pick in the NFL draft, that is a good solid investment.

I know that is splitting hairs, but it is why the #1 draft pick is viewed as a very valuable commodity.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been reported he hyperextended his elbow and wants to play Sunday with a brace. Will have MRI tomorrow to confirm that there is no further damage. Knowing the Packers medical staff, I have doubts they will let him play against Vikings.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with what you said. I would adjust it a bit (for me) to include "return on investment". Getting a Pro Bowler out of a 7th rounder is an enormously HUGE return on your original investment. Getting a Pro Bowler out of the #1 pick in the NFL draft, that is a good solid investment.

I know that is splitting hairs, but it is why the #1 draft pick is viewed as a very valuable commodity.

If he reaches his potential its a huge pick, when they drafted him they were thinking young Julius Peppers. The kind of guy that cant be left to block one on one.

BTW, he wants to put a brace on and play against the Vikes next week.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what you fail to grasp is the difference between having a great player for four or five years on a rookie contract, vs having a great player who mostly rides the bench for two years and then you get two years of productivity on a rookie contract. as a fan that may not be important to you, but from a team salary cap economics viewpoint there is a significant difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
what you fail to grasp is the difference between having a great player for four or five years on a rookie contract, vs having a great player who mostly rides the bench for two years and then you get two years of productivity on a rookie contract. as a fan that may not be important to you, but from a team salary cap economics viewpoint there is a significant difference.
If that is your reality, I think you are expecting too much, too soon. While it is GREAT to have a player step right in as a rookie and perform like a $15 M/year guy, but how often does that happen?

I would say what is worse, is having a guy hit his peak in his 2nd or third year and then a team decides to redo his contract in year 4 and it is all bad play after that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last year he had one of the best win rates in the NFL down the stretch when it mattered most. I suspect that right now he's up there as well. Ever since he got into sync he's been generating a lot of pressure all on his own. He is a big part of why our defense has looked so good lately. Not bad for a second year man.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year he had one of the best win rates in the NFL down the stretch when it mattered most. I suspect that right now he's up there as well. Ever since he got into sync he's been generating a lot of pressure all on his own. He is a big part of why our defense has looked so good lately. Not bad for a second year man.

in 2020, he started only 4 games, he played less than 50% of the defensive snaps in 8 games. i'll admit that's better than his rookie season, but still not what you want to see from a top 12 pick. he is now a third year man and we are finally seeing a full-time starter playing 60-80% of the defensive snaps.

Reaction score
in 2020, he started only 4 games, he played less than 50% of the defensive snaps in 8 games. i'll admit that's better than his rookie season, but still not what you want to see from a top 12 pick. he is now a third year man and we are finally seeing a full-time starter playing 60-80% of the defensive snaps.
I think you’re talking snaps and he’s talking production. As someone else pointed out to me earlier this season. Crops are only as good as their yield.

If Gary was the 9th most disruptive pass rusher last season.. who cares if he accomplishes that in 45% of the snaps or 80%. Matter of fact one could argue he’s had the production with far less mileage. That’s universally appealing. I’d rather have 50 quality calories per day than 80 empty calories.

In addition, Gary has been a significant component in this years Defensive success.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you’re talking snaps and he’s talking production. As someone else pointed out to me earlier this season. Crops are only as good as their yield.

If Gary was the 9th most disruptive pass rusher last season.. who cares if he accomplishes that in 45% of the snaps or 80%. Matter of fact one could argue he’s had the production with far less mileage. That’s universally appealing.

In addition, Gary has been a significant component in this years Defensive success.

So top notch production on a 3rd year of a rookie deal, potentially 2 more years after that on said rookie deal with the 5th year option. I can live with this level of production.

Reaction score
So top notch production on a 3rd year of a rookie deal, potentially 2 more years after that on said rookie deal with the 5th year option. I can live with this level of production.
Absolutely. I think it’s fair to say the latter 50% of players’ production is weighted more also. Players generally ramp up and start peaking around year 3, not year 1.
Point being that we have not allowed his tenure to play out and we’re already handing out final grades and diplomas. He’s possible half way into his Rookie contract.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see. i guess y'all are just more patient than i am. every year i see other teams drafting guys in the top half of the first round who are full-time starters by mid-season of their rookie years. that's the kind of results i'd like to see from our gm.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
i see. i guess y'all are just more patient than i am. every year i see other teams drafting guys in the top half of the first round who are full-time starters by mid-season of their rookie years. that's the kind of results i'd like to see from our gm.
And you see most of these same teams doing it year after year. Maybe they are full time starters because they have no one else.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's because they are lousy teams with poor depth. That's why teams draft early. Rookies without fail make rookie mistakes. Too many mistakes result in losses. When Gary was drafted, we already had the Smiths in house. He didn't have to contribute as a starter immediately.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary's progression into the player he is now has been xlnt. I could not have wished for more. He needed some coaching and playing in the pros. Some of the other picks that a lot of Packer fans said were better started out like gangbusters and then just slowed down. He has done the opposite. He rushes and he sets an edge. And he seems to keep getting better. Anyone that says he was a bad pick just hasn't really been paying attention imho.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On draft day yes, that #1pick is a valuable commodity since the higher picks in theory have a better chance at success. However, If a GM has 8 picks and 4 are destined to be all pros with 10+ years of success and 4 are destined to be out of the league in 3 years it doesn't matter to me which ones are which.

People will say "his first second third and fourth picks were all busts". To which I would reply "yeah but his fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth picks were home runs so does it really matter.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why is it unreasonable to expect higher production from a high draft pick? Afterall, the team put more resources into the acquisition. Shouldn't they expect more from a #1 pick? Gary should be compared to other high draft pick OLB's to judge whether it was a good pick. I wasn't thrilled with the pick and was down on his lack of production his first two seasons. If Gary exceeds what other teams got for their high pick OLB's, then it was a good pick. His third year has been much better than his first two although 5 1/2 sacks in 10 games is good but not great. At this stage in his career, he looks like a better than average player at his position. If he continues to improve, the #12 pick will have been worth it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
why is it unreasonable to expect higher production from a high draft pick? Afterall, the team put more resources into the acquisition. Shouldn't they expect more from a #1 pick? Gary should be compared to other high draft pick OLB's to judge whether it was a good pick. I wasn't thrilled with the pick and was down on his lack of production his first two seasons. If Gary exceeds what other teams got for their high pick OLB's, then it was a good pick. His third year has been much better than his first two although 5 1/2 sacks in 10 games is good but not great. At this stage in his career, he looks like a better than average player at his position. If he continues to improve, the #12 pick will have been worth it.
Its been mentioned numerous times. He was a project..

You can disagree 1000% but they made the call....you shoukd admit how the talenered window

Members online

Latest posts