Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember well probably, but it seems 10-20 years ago your studs played almost every down. How often did Reggie white come off the field? I would need someone to look that up, I don't know.

How many plays do teams run these days compared to then? I would assume it's higher, but I'm not sure.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I didnt like the Gary pick, and still dont, but yeah that was definitely the plan to have 3 guys at minimum to rotate

Well let's just say that IF it does turn out to be a great pick, having Gary, Smith and Smith for the next 4 years, is going to help this defense a lot more than having Mathews, Perry and fill in the blank. If the Smith Brothers keep playing like they have and Amos does the same, the 3 of them could have been one of the best combined FA moves we have seen in Green Bay ever. Add Alexander and Savage into that mix, sign Kenny Clark and this defense could really be something over the next 4 years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many plays do teams run these days compared to then? I would assume it's higher, but I'm not sure.
I don't know, it's not like it's double, at least I wouldn't think it was. I guess my point is athletes never seemed to have to come off the field before. Role players in specific situations did. Sometimes big men might be limited, but not this 50% stuff we see today. STuds played. I think they still can and should be expected to.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here is a good sign of team unity!

Za’Darius Smith said yesterday he was treating the entire defense to dinner last night. Guys asked him: “Z, what’s the limit?’ There was none, and Smith said the bill was about $5,000 at Republic Chophouse in Green Bay -- not as bad as he thought it would be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone that's ever wrestled should understand just how much energy it takes to try an maneuver another person all while expending extra energy creating to where the play is going
funny you should mention a sport i was very good in :) I understand it, I know what it is

But I don't even know if it was different, just seems like it was. I'm not sure it's "better". They aren't rotating offensive linemen. and Reggie never looked worse in the 4th quarter than he did in the first. I think the studs can still play without much fall off.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
funny you should mention a sport i was very good in :) I understand it, I know what it is

But I don't even know if it was different, just seems like it was. I'm not sure it's "better". They aren't rotating offensive linemen. and Reggie never looked worse in the 4th quarter than he did in the first. I think the studs can still play without much fall off.

Guessing due to the energy you expended in your wrestling matches, you often had to tag in your sister? :whistling:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, it's not like it's double, at least I wouldn't think it was. I guess my point is athletes never seemed to have to come off the field before. Role players in specific situations did. Sometimes big men might be limited, but not this 50% stuff we see today. STuds played. I think they still can and should be expected to.

What studs are playing 50% of snaps?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What studs are playing 50% of snaps?
I wouldn’t call them studs, it was hyperbole. But I see no problems with your starters playing 90% or more of the snaps either.

Anyway, I may very well be misremembering all of it. But historically, I just never remember people having such angst about players needing more rest and not being expected to stay on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's absolutely exhausting.
Far more so than football, and it’s not even close. A 6 min match, 2 min periods at a time was exhausting. Yet we’d do 3 man drills with up down and neutral with 20 second goes for an hour straight rotating in and out.

Then we’d do our conditioning lol

Football is a piece of cake by comparison.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Gary got his first sack and....nothing? At this rate he'll finish the season with 5, but I say 6.5 since I believe that the more he gets comfortable at the position the more he'll show up in the rotation to keep the Smith's fresh. If Gary can get 5 or more sacks with his limited usage in 2019, I would hope that finally puts to bed all this talk about what he did in college, which should have been dead anyway.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Gary got his first sack and....nothing? At this rate he'll finish the season with 5, but I say 6.5 since I believe that the more he gets comfortable at the position the more he'll show up in the rotation to keep the Smith's fresh. If Gary can get 5 or more sacks with his limited usage in 2019, I would hope that finally puts to bed all this talk about what he did in college, which should have been dead anyway.

The kid flat out is doing awesome in limited work. No joke, between the Smiths and then Gary and Fackrell...I'm extremely comfortable with this position group! EXTREMELY.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope Gary proves me wrong on him being overrated. Does anyone know how long the QB held the ball on his sack? I don't want to call it a coverage sack without knowing that (trying to be responsible).

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid flat out is doing awesome in limited work. No joke, between the Smiths and then Gary and Fackrell...I'm extremely comfortable with this position group! EXTREMELY.

Which is exactly how to handle a converted player, limited reps with a limited area of focus to start with. Slow the game down as much as possible and let him get his feet under himself. I was leery about the pick at first but I'll be damned if he didn't look like an absolute load on that sack.

I was thinking about scheme and players and the fit of the current players and Clay Matthews. Matthews hasn't been terribly impressive for the last several years and suddenly in a new scheme he's been playing at a level that we haven't seen since... 2014 atleast if not 12. Likewise Smith and Smith have given us an outside presence that quite frankly we just haven't had. IMO the difference is that while Matthews still has gas in the tank he's a 255 pound edge rusher who gets by on quicks finesse and technique with an added wrinkle of physical intensity. In contrast the Smiths are just bigger stronger men at 265 pounds and 272 for Z, they just work better in a scheme that prefers its rushers to take direct routes to a quarterback.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope Gary proves me wrong on him being overrated. Does anyone know how long the QB held the ball on his sack? I don't want to call it a coverage sack without knowing that (trying to be responsible).

Even if deemed a "coverage" sack, he would have had a pressure...even if not a pressure he bull rushed the crap out of that tackle.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flacco takes snap, dropping back at 3:05. King to Flacco’s left covering Sutton on a deep middle route. Sets at 3:03 scanning right, then center, right again, checks left, center at 3:02, pulls it down at 3:01. Gary sacks him at 2:59 mark. Beautiful play where Gary just destroys RT Wilkinson 68... ran right through him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. I was mainly curious if it was a coverage sack or not.
I get your angle, but really all you have to do is watch Gary and you can already see the progress he has made. Is he a FHOF player? Who knows, but at least he is trending upwards, the shoulder injury that many seemed overly concerned about hasn't flared up and his motor just keeps running despite some of the criticism thrown his way.

Reaction score
I don’t know the timing. But he #1 beat the outside block, then flat out manhandled #2 an OL pushing him back 2 yards into the pocket where he just #3 engulfed Flacco. I was proud of him, that was a flash of that Michigan D he helped anchor.

I’m not taking away a nice play, but he also has the advantage of being fresh. Maybe that’s the plan all along IDK. He’ll only get better. I suspect a year or two to peak.

PS. How about that Keke kid. He’s not far behind.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
that was a flash of that Michigan D he anchored

Careful, the Badgers just manhandled that Michigan D on Saturday. :tup:

I’m not taking away a nice play, but he also has the advantage of being fresh. Maybe that’s the plan all along IDK.

I think that is definitely a side benefit of bringing him along slowly and the reason it makes perfect sense to have the Smith Brothers and Gary. We saw how tired Matthews would get, having to be THE guy to make the plays. Now we see Matthews in LA and he appears to be playing less snaps, along side better players and he already has 4 sacks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flacco takes snap, dropping back at 3:05. King to Flacco’s left covering Sutton on a deep middle route. Sets at 3:03 scanning right, then center, right again, checks left, center at 3:02, pulls it down at 3:01. Gary sacks him at 2:59 mark. Beautiful play where Gary just destroys RT Wilkinson 68... ran right through him.

I mean, 6 seconds from snap to sack doesn't sound like he ran right through the tackle, unless I'm misreading this? He's young and I'm looking forward to him proving Gute (and others) right, but I'm glad he showed the hustle to stick with the play and keep going after the QB. He appears to be earning more playing time from Gute and if he keeps it up he might prove he was the 12th best player in the draft.