Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

H

HardRightEdge

Must I say this again?

Never doubt...

Grape. Fruit. Gute.
It's funny how you always see it spelled "Gute", but the way Packer people say it the spelling should be "Gutey" or "Gooty" or "Gudy" or somesuch. So your thing does not actually rhyme.

You'd have to go with something like, "Tutti frutti, oh Gudy", but I wouldn't sing that to his face. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
It's funny how you always see it spelled "Gute", but the way Packer people say it the spelling should be "Gutey" or "Gooty" or "Gudy" or somesuch. So your thing does not actually rhyme.

You'd have to go with something like, "Tutti frutti, oh Gudy", but I wouldn't sing that to his face. ;)
Funny.
I once had the honor of eating dinner with former Circuit City President; Richard Sharp and EVP;Richie Birnbaum, (before Sharp left for Carmax). I was a 21 year old punk with a Billy Crystal flair. There was a silence and tension at our table, so likely out of my nervousness.. I asked Richard Birnbaum (to my right) “So... do we call you Richard, Richie, Rich? Or... Richie Rich? (True story) :roflmao:
I do not know where that came from.. and it was completely impromptu.. but Richard Sharp started laughing first and the whole table couldn’t stop chuckling for a minute. Everybody was suddenly relaxed and grinning. . Needless to say I think Gute would find it amusing.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Didnt find that about Jackson.

In their video they say he is their top ranked cb of the draft.

They say he doesnt have experience in press but he does have the physical tools to do it. They do not say he is good at press coverage.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As far as the accuracy of their numbers, they say they have a correlation of 0.6 when it comes to predictive success of pass rushers.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-college-grades-and-nfl-correlation-for-pass-rushers

This is a surprisingly strong value. If course it is self reprted and would require close examination to put too much credence into.

I definitely recall PFF putting it out that Jackson was really good in press man coverage.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he will start to show his potential soon. He is young and still wet behind the ears!

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No idea how well Gary will turn out to be, but as a comparison to how simple stats can be less than the be all, end all, J.J.Watt has a total of 11.5 sacks at UW, was drafted 11th and had a grand total of 5.5 sacks his first year at Houston. Imagine the hand wringing there over using such a high pick on a combine workout warrior.

Let the year play out and enjoy his development. He will allow for a great rotation so our guys don’t get tired. Just enjoy for now. Not saying he is the second coming but he has some incredible tools to work with. Let’s see how it works.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm afraid to try to use Gutey's entire name. Mispronouncing or mis-speaking it entirely could get your mouth washed out with Lifebouy. Generally I refer to him as the new kid. Drives my son nutz.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Im not completely sure what people thinks this shows but its speaks larger about Denvers Pass rush then it does about Gary.

This is just grasping at straws if people think this helps a pro Gary argument

The only thing I would take away from it is that it's really early.

Reaction score
Okay that sounded a little weird. :coffee:
No doubt. Every time I see his username, I dint know why but I hear that song playing in my head “if you’re happy and you know it clap your hands... if you’re happy and you know it then your face will surely show it”... you get the drift :laugh:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
J.J.Watt has a total of 11.5 sacks at UW

While I am totally on board with you about Gary and his stats and being patient, I do have to jump in here about my man J.J.

That 11.5 sacks is a bit misleading, since he only played 2 years at the UW. He played his Freshman year at Central Michigan as a TE. The Badgers switched him to DE and it really wasn't until his second and last season at Wisconsin that he began to soar playing the position. The Texans and a lot of other Pro Teams envisioned how much potential he had and they were all correct.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Gary is going to end up being just fine. I have been encouraged by his performance in his brief appearance so far. However, both he and others are going to need to pick up the pace. They are going to need to be trusted enough to earn more playing time in the near future, because the idea of the Smiths playing over 90% of the snaps every week is not sustainable.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Wood @ PackersNews.com said:
Pettine says Rashan Gary is "developing well" as a rookie. He knows the transition has been frustrating, but says "he's close" to clicking: "He's doing some good things, it just hasn't paid off for him yet."

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Gary is going to end up being just fine. I have been encouraged by his performance in his brief appearance so far. However, both he and others are going to need to pick up the pace. They are going to need to be trusted enough to earn more playing time in the near future, because the idea of the Smiths playing over 90% of the snaps every week is not sustainable.
Gary's snaps have been extremely limited. Why not? We have the Smith Bros. tearing it up completely. Let the guy learn from some guys who know their way around opposing OL... I like that they are moving him along slowly, and, man, he's had big production on the pressures side of the ledger, with somewhere around 10 snaps total...

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am totally on board with you about Gary and his stats and being patient, I do have to jump in here about my man J.J.

That 11.5 sacks is a bit misleading, since he only played 2 years at the UW. He played his Freshman year at Central Michigan as a TE. The Badgers switched him to DE and it really wasn't until his second and last season at Wisconsin that he began to soar playing the position. The Texans and a lot of other Pro Teams envisioned how much potential he had and they were all correct.

While I like most of your posts, you do sometimes take a bit of a post and when quoting it lose the total context. You did this here. My point being (in the entire post I made) was that taking just stats for a point can be misleading. I follow the Badgers every game, loved JJ and knew what he was. But if you only went on his stats, you would have no idea how much he impacted every game. Our FO obviously feels similar here. But stats do not tell you everything about a player, Brady being a 6th rounder.
TL;DR, I think you just agreed with me.

On Wisconsin! My guess is there are not many here that have followed the Pack and Bucky longer than me, although I am happy that there is a larger number than I would have thought here that have.

Next up, Brat, T.J.? Can you outlove me on him? J/K. But Derek? J/K, he is one of the few reasons I watch the Chargers if the Pack is not on. Badger homer here and not ashamed to say it.