Packernation Speaks Out

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From PackerChatters.com -----

Friday, August 05, 2005
Aaron Rodgers

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

by Mark Quarderer (a.k.a. - Packernation)
PackerChatters Staff

It's been a little while since I perpetrated my last act of heresy, so here I go again.......

Aaron Rodgers has been in camp for less than a week now and you can see people jumping on the bandwagon. I'm not going to say I'm the guy driving that bandwagon, but you all know that I've argued for quite a while now that the Packers would benefit from having a QB that was smart, mobile, and a good decision maker, especially in big games and in the clutch. It's something that I think is lacking in the team currently.....and I've taken a lot of heat for saying it....but nonetheless I still believe it is true.

Right after the Rodgers choice, some poster (I forget who) said "PN's going to love this guy".

And so far, I do. Yesterday in the scrimmage against Buffalo Cliff Christl succinctly stated: Rodgers looked sharp, maybe sharper than Favre.

It's just one sentence and it's just one scrimmage. But it echos other comments such as Peter King's "Favre looks old" (actually, I believe that Favre is the oldest starting QB in the league this year). Darrel Bevell and Tom Rossley have both praised Rodgers' accuracy, poise, and decision making. He's learned the playbook and is showing why he scored a 35 on the Wonderlich.

The reality is now that for the first time in his career Favre will go out to the practice field every day and share snaps with a guy who is younger, more mobile, smarter, and who is accurate, poised, and has good judgement. And the coaches will be there watching and comparisons are going to be inevitable.

Nobody expects Rodgers to be Favre but I suspect that Rodgers is going to bring things to the table that Favre doesn't and the team is going to benefit from that. He'll clearly make mistakes as he learns and we'll just have to live with that while he does. I suspect he'll learn and adapt quickly.

It has been opined, or flatly stated, by some that Rodgers will be no more than a #3 QB this year and will not see the field. I flatly reject that. Not only is Rodgers in all likelihood a better QB than Nall but the Packers have an enormous investment in him and it is in their best interests to give him every opportunity to develop at a pace which is suitable to him. That means you don't throw him in until he's ready but you DO play him when he is ready instead of handing him a clipboard and telling him to stand over there.

The difference in developmental opportunity during the season between the #2 and #3 QB is stark----the #2 share snaps with the #1 offense and the #3 guy runs the scout team. The #2 guy prepares as though he's only one play from being in the game whereas the #3 guy prepares knowing he's most likely not going to play.

I am aware, as Mark Lawrence pointed out, that Sherman likes to play vets instead of rookies. But he will play rookies. Clifton and Tauscher both started as rookies. So did Barnett and ultimately Carroll. Thomas, Davenport, and Walker are all guys who got time as rookies.

I believe that Rodgers will outperform Nall in training camp and will be the #2 QB by the opener. I further believe that Rodgers will get on the field this year more than Nall has in three years, and that when he's on the field he's going to play well enough that some people are going to understand that they're seeing the future.

Rodgers is the real deal. He's in an incredibly favorable situation in the sense that he's surrounded by offensive talent. It's unenviable in the sense that' he's replacing a legend but he'll have an opportunity to make his own reputation. All he needs to do is come in and play well and help the team win and the fans will welcome him with open arms.

Change is frightening to people, and we've had an unparalleled period of stability at QB, but change is on the horizon and it's not a bad thing.

[You can respond with comment to Mark, but clicking on the link and posting on the PackerChatters web site.... --- IPBprez]

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too soon to tell. Nall has been in the action...for real...and Rodgers has looked fairly good within a week's practice time.

Big deal.

We'll see if he can cut it when the games are for real.(And 300 pound linemen are looking for his cranium).

I've long argued that Brett SHOULD hang it up after this year, so he doesn't become a remake of Bart Starr. Bart hung around a year or two too long.
But to simply be jumping up and down about Rodgers at this point is like saying Santa Claus is bringing you Pam Anderson for Christmas.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad Rodgers slid to the Packers. It gives us a chance to continue on with a great QB after Brett retires. As you notice I said "a chance". It's a long ways from having a few good days in camp to being a solid starter for years. I've seen too many backup QBs who looked like world beaters in games, become huge disappointments as starters.

Hopefully it will be like SF going from Montana to Young, one HOF QB to another HOF QB. That would be great. That would really be great.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya, i hope aaron pans out. i'm too young to remember too far past majik so i don't know if i can deal with musical trent dilfer type qbs.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a long discussion with this guy. He thought I was too supportive of Craig Nall, which is likely, and I thought his expectations for Rogers were overenthusiastic and could lead to disappointment. I thought Rogers should be the #3 and take it slow this year.

Let's just be cautious. He has a chance to be brought at the right pace for him. The coaches have the luxury of determining how fast it should be not has to be. Let's just let things happen at the best pace - not hold him back and push him too hard.

Rogers has a sense of humor that may get him into "media controversy" sooner than later. There are other nonfootball things to learn that come with experience.

For being one of the players the NFL invited to the Draft he really has a good situation to start an NFL career. The Lord controls the affairs of men and often what we think are bad events (getting drafted lowere than expected) can become blessings.

Let's not expect too much and we won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking into consideration Rodgers "Wonderlic Score" - which some don't put much stock in - and it being something like 35.. has the Coaching Staff in a tizzy - Apparently, he's learned the Playbook already.. That being said - variations of plays are still something that only OJT (on-the-job-training) can take care of...

I know that as long as I'm the one drivin' (?) Then, I'll be able to find my way back to wherever I went - but if I'm just a passenger (?) - Then who knows what'll happen the next time....

I think Aaron will do just fine.... He reminds me of a cross between both Brett Favre (watching some film from his college play) and Tom Brady - with his ability to learn quickly and pickup the nuances.... You guys remember the Patriots had the highest Wonderlic average, right? Sometimes, that measuring stick doesn't bear the right fruit - but for the most part - Coaches stand by it....

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've known PackerNation for several years via email. He's from the town where I work. He's a dude like the rest of us. He's pretty good with his pen, er, keyboard, but he has no special insights beyond what the rest of us read.

He lives in San Antonio.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Net - we all gab over on the FrozenTundra Board.
Him & I have been opening some lines as well....

SOme of his contacts (of late) are startin' to gel... so that's a good thing!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
MARK MY WORDS...

RODGERS IS GOING TO TURN OUT TO BE THE NEXT RYAN LEAF!

Doesn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is a little harsh on Favre, but I cautiously agree with him on Rodgers. I don't think it's going out on a limb to project him as the #2 this year. To me, he already looks like he's as good as Nall on the field and ahead of Nall in the eyes of the coaches. And of course he has WAY more upside. If Rodgers does well it will give the team a shot of energy, even if he's not able to get any real playing time this year. It will increase confidence in the management, the coaching staff, and the team's future. Think of the QB merry-go-rounds that teams like the Bears have had for the past decade or more. It would be great to be able to avoid that.

As for Peter King's comment that Favre "looks old," I wonder if that was taken out of context. Did King mean that Favre looks old when he's out on the field playing or just that he looks old in the face? (Which he clearly does, at least by professional athlete standards.)

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
MARK MY WORDS...

I take it that P@ck66 is now drinking the "Chase" kool-aid.....

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
MARK MY WORDS...

I'm just curious to hear about what you've seen that Ted Thompson missed.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
This guy is a little harsh on Favre, but I cautiously agree with him on Rodgers. I don't think it's going out on a limb to project him as the #2 this year. To me, he already looks like he's as good as Nall on the field and ahead of Nall in the eyes of the coaches. And of course he has WAY more upside. If Rodgers does well it will give the team a shot of energy, even if he's not able to get any real playing time this year. It will increase confidence in the management, the coaching staff, and the team's future. Think of the QB merry-go-rounds that teams like the Bears have had for the past decade or more. It would be great to be able to avoid that.

As for Peter King's comment that Favre "looks old," I wonder if that was taken out of context. Did King mean that Favre looks old when he's out on the field playing or just that he looks old in the face? (Which he clearly does, at least by professional athlete standards.)

I agree that he was harsh on Favre. I do not agree that Favre looks old. Last year his QB rating was above 90 I believe. And another 30 TD season.

The guy also said Rodgers knows the playbook and he is smarter. Hmm. He may a good portion of the basics of how the Packers run the WC offence but, it does take a year to get a good grasp of it. Is he smarter in general than other QB's, than Favre? Because he took a wonderlick test?

I do like Rodgers and think he has a great opportunity to show his talents and skills but, it will take time.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
orelse....

i say this because the QB who he has been compared to the most has been Chad Pennington....whom I like...

but who NEEDS to run a true west coast passing offense to be successful in the NFL....which the Packers do NOT do....

Members online

Latest posts