Packer Free Agents: What should the Packers do? Track Their Decisions

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone on earth can see that Perry being cut is a very real and likely thing that will happen in the coming week.
I see no possible way. He was signed to a 5 year deal and he played .1?. The dead cap would be hurting us for 2 or 3 years yet.

Maybe I'm thinking like Thompson. But Perry is still a productive player when healthy. Just can't stay healthy.

H

HardRightEdge

He has 1 year played or two?
He is the New mathews Cobb hawk. Right?
I don't know what "1 year played or two?" is supposed to mean. Phone typing I guess. As for the rest, that's not a reason. It is contingent on getting a starting edge in FA, as stated.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see if we had some stud break out and was pushing him for time. But we don't.
We going to let Mathews go too in this scenario?
Cuz yikes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s what I thought, though I can’t imagine he’d be anything more than a minimum contract re-sign if they wanted to.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We can't cut Perry yet. Probabally not next year either.
Why not? The dead cap is just what it is, which is currently an $11.1M sunk cost. Cutting him now saves $10,737,500 this year, $10.6 M in 2020 and $10.4 M in 2021.

We definitely can, should and probably will cut him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought he'd at least make it training camp and have to be beaten out by someone. He's limited in what he can do, but at least he provided a thump when he was in there. Hardly a guy they can't replace, but also a guy good for competition. Though maybe they saved more by cutting him now?

It's possible the Packers bring back Morrison on a more team friendly deal.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have high hopes for him. He really should be #2 TE, maybe even #1.
Maybe eventually, but I don't really see it this season. 4 NFL catches for 77 yds, with one of those catches being the 54 yard bomb, seems for now more like Jeff Janis like numbers to get too exited about.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe eventually, but I don't really see it this season. 4 NFL catches for 77 yds, with one of those catches being the 54 yard bomb, seems for now more like Jeff Janis like numbers to get too exited about.

How many times was he targeted?

Reaction score
Don’t steal our thunder! Someone’s gotta fill those big Janis’ shoes.

PS. At least it didnt take Tonyan 3 years to put up those huge reg season stats ;)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How many times was he targeted?
6 Targets. 1 more than Janis had in his final season in GB. Again, I'm not trying to say Tonyan can't be a great TE, I think its just way too early to anoint him as a starter or even a #2 TE.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 Targets. 1 more than Janis had in his final season in GB. Again, I'm not trying to say Tonyan can't be a great TE, I think its just way too early to anoint him as a starter or even a #2 TE.

But he had that one 54 yard TD catch. Surely that makes him a legit #2 at the very least.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should give him the chance and let her know m decide his own fate. I reckon he's ready to shoulder the responsibility. Gradually increase his workload throughout this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....since my first thread was just shut down, before one single decision concerning current Packer Players has been made, I guess I will try it again and hope this one doesn't get closed due to being a repeat.

****************************************************************************************

Lots of talk about the draft and who to sign in Free Agency, but before all that happens, the Packers will need to make decisions on 21 current players on the roster.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
OLB Clay Matthews
WR Randall Cobb
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
TE Marcedes Lewis
TE Lance Kendricks
OL Byron Bell
CB Davon House
CB Bashaud Breeland
LB Jake Ryan
S Eddie Pleasant

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Geronimo Allison
S Kentrell Brice
S Ibraheim Campbell

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS
OL Lucas Patrick
OL Justin McCray Resigned
OL Adam Pankey
OLB Reggie Gilbert
TE Robert Tonyan Resigned
WR Jake Kumerow
DL Fadol Brown Resigned
RB Lavon Coleman

Other Packers Released:
  • Antonio Morrison

UFA: I would like to see Wilkerson and Breeland brought back.

Cobb, Mathews and Kendricks: Wouldn't bother me either way, but think Randall and Mathews still have something to contribute, at the right price.

RFA: Brice and Allison should be brought back.

ERFA: Backups, camp bodies and potential depth. McCray, Kumerow and Tonyan for sure you bring back. Gilbert might be worth giving another year.

I’m with ya on everyone except Cobb. He’s had four years (just counting his last contract) and he makes too few big plays, which tells me he’s not getting open, and he’s certainly slowed down. And he’s injured a lot. I’m ok keeping CMIII on a team friendly deal and playing him exclusively inside. I’d also like to see them part ways with Perry. It’s not the 3.3 mil in cap space, he’s just not a player, little more than “just a guy” with mileage.

I’d rather they load up the DL in the draft and have a healthy rotation of decent rushers. As for the secondary, maybe move Jackson to S (this year or next) and Williams back to corner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well depending on free agents they sign and who they are targeting in draft it will probably shape the whole thing meaning one domino falling could make several others fall and/or create several other subsequent moves.

I'm expecting a busy busy free agency. My feeling is Cobb will be gone with a clear vision on how to replace him. Perry should be gone and Matthew's retained only at league vet minimum if he wants to retire a Packer. The direction they go with Perry and Matthew's should point largely how they want to move. Safety needs to be at the top of priority list IMO heading into free agency as I dont trust a rookie back there.

I am in agreement with re-signing both Wilkerson and Breeland. Kendricks wouldn't be a bad depth guy to bring back. T. William's and Mason Crossbar need to go.

The biggest decision for me is what to do with Bulaga.
Bulaga’s fate will be determined by the draft or FA. I like the guy, he’s given his all, but is injured too much. I was amazed how quickly he came back from his last torn ACL. And yeah, if they’re gonna spend big money in FA, then get Collins day one. That’ll probably take $10-$12 mil, but they need it.

D

Deleted member 6794

All in the eye of the beholder. Lots of talk even this year, with $3+ mil in net savings. Next year, it'd be about twice that.

As Poker has correctly pointed out the Packers would save a total of $10.7 million in cap space by releasing Perry before March 15.

I’m ok keeping CMIII on a team friendly deal and playing him exclusively inside.

The Packers lining up Matthews inside wouldn't improve their defense at all.

And yeah, if they’re gonna spend big money in FA, then get Collins day one. That’ll probably take $10-$12 mil, but they need it.

Collins doesn't fit the Packers biggest need in the secondary for a free safety.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers lining up Matthews inside wouldn't improve their defense at all.

I agree. While I wouldn't mind seeing Clay remain a Packer and play a supporting role on defense, I highly doubt the Packers will be in any kind of negotiations if other teams show much interest.

For those who would be fine with the Packers resigning Clay, what kind of contract would be acceptable? 2 year $6 M/year?

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. While I wouldn't mind seeing Clay remain a Packer and play a supporting role on defense, I highly doubt the Packers will be in any kind of negotiations if other teams show much interest.

For those who would be fine with the Packers resigning Clay, what kind of contract would be acceptable? 2 year $6 M/year?

The Packers shouldn't offer Matthews a contract averaging close to $6 million a season.