Packer Breakout players of 2021

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OFFENSE I was tempted to joke around and say Mason Crosby, but I didn't want to draw CaptainWMs ire. My real choice is Alan Lazard. I think that he was starting to figure it out when he got that injury last season. If we have a stable QB situation then my pick is Lazard. If not, then I am actually going to pick Blake Bortles....for real.

DEFENSE I would like to say Kamal Martin but I think that injuries will continue to plague him, so I'll go with the rookie and choose Eric Stokes. It might not be until later in the season but he seems like he will figure it out sooner than later.

p.s. IMO rookies should never be relied upon to contribute significantly in their first year. No matter where they get drafted or their position, they are still first year players adjusting to the highest level of football at a relatively young age. Therefore, a rookie can break out and play beyond my expectations.

Love the Lazard pick, in all honesty I truly believe one of either him or MVS is going to have a breakout year. Honestly, both could be massively improved but only one "statistically" breaks out. Tonyan is going to eat even more targets, healthy Josiah some too and now Amari...but I still think Lazard or MVS are the strongest offensive candidates for a break out

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love for any of those guys to break out. I feel like MVS hasn't made the strides to show that trajectory to a breakout season, but I hope to be wrong.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love for any of those guys to break out. I feel like MVS hasn't made the strides to show that trajectory to a breakout season, but I hope to be wrong.

Have to push back there. MVS has shown amazing growth in every single category of WR play, except his catch percentage - which I understand 100% is the most easily watched and seen.

His route abilities have increased each season.
His blocking took incredible strides last year and honestly shocked me. I would have bet hard money he would NEVER be worth anything in the blocking category - dude straight proved me a fool there.
His nack for finding soft spots in zone coverage showed up especially in the second half of 2020.

I also am praying the aggressive attacking of the ball in the air towards the end of last year with his hands (even over the middle at times) was a sign of growth and not just a fluke too.

To me MVS has shown more growth than any other WR on the team presently over their time here. Lazard is a freaking steady rock of consistency when in - but I concur is a solid candidate to do more.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to push back there. MVS has shown amazing growth in every single category of WR play, except his catch percentage - which I understand 100% is the most easily watched and seen.

His blocking took incredible strides last year and honestly shocked me. I would have bet hard money he would NEVER be worth anything in the blocking category - dude straight proved me a fool there.
His nack for finding soft spots in zone coverage showed up especially in the second half of 2020.

I also am praying the aggressive attacking of the ball in the air towards the end of last year with his hands (even over the middle at times) was a sign of growth and not just a fluke too.

To me MVS has shown more growth than any other WR on the team presently over their time here. Lazard is a freaking steady rock of consistency when in - but I concur is a solid candidate to do more.
If I was MVS, I would spend 3 hrs per day on the jugs machine and 4 workouts per week strength conditioning my hands. If his catch % increases a bit he will get more throws and his impact will certainly increase.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was MVS, I would spend 3 hrs per day on the jugs machine and 4 workouts per week strength conditioning my hands. If his catch % increases a bit he will get more throws and his impact will certainly increase.

Oh no doubt. I've shared multiple times it is very rare for a guy that is as pure a deep threat as him to post 60% or better percentages. The crazy thing is if he just adds 5-10 more catches and ups his % to flirt with 60% his yardage produced is literally most likely another 100-200 yards right off the bat and a TD or more as well. MVS is easily the guy standing the closest to the edge of exploding...the issue is whether he actually does or not - even if he doesn't he is a guy with tools I want MLF to have into the future.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think MVS' yards or catch should tell you all you need to know about his route tree. MVS' yards per route was 20.9. Tyreke Hill, who I think we can all agree is a better receiver and deep threat, was at 14.7 because he doesn't ONLY run deep routes. MVS doesn't really run many short or intermediate routes and until he can prove to coaches he can do that, I just don't know how he increases his target totals

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MVS' yards or catch should tell you all you need to know about his route tree. MVS' yards per route was 20.9. Tyreke Hill, who I think we can all agree is a better receiver and deep threat, was at 14.7 because he doesn't ONLY run deep routes. MVS doesn't really run many short or intermediate routes and until he can prove to coaches he can do that, I just don't know how he increases his target totals

YPR is not yards per route. It is yards per reception.

Tyreke Hill is an incredible talent and is also a deep threat - but is used entirely different than MVS ever will and the same could be said the other way. That's like saying Davante Adams is a better receiver than MVS despite having a lower yards per reception - OF COURSE!

MVS has routinely in his time in the league as far as deep threats go proven he is elite in that specific category. I've provided countless stats comparing him and such and won't do that again here.

Also notice I never once stated MVS is some elite route runner, what I illustrated or noted was the growth we have seen in it over the time in the league. This Day 3 receiver came into the league after playing in college for a team that literally just asked him to run past people...didn't need a good route tree or release package because about 99% of the DBs he saw couldn't keep up with him.

In his few years in the league those that watch his routes, can clearly see the difference that has occurred from year 1, to 2 and last year in his third year.

He closed out the year last year with some exceptional mid and short routes - some he was than targeted others not - a few targets in the divisional game were of that short and intermediate variety where he made awesome breaks, attacked the ball with his hands and showed a strength even is fans wouldn't have predicted.

Again all this growth and he is still essentially a premiere deep threat in the league that is growing in his route tree yearly, his blocking is becoming a secondary strength of his and if he can just catch 5% more of his targets or so the dude is VERY valuable to the MLF system and our offense. VERY.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like MVS and agree that he has improved each season. I am just not as confident that he is going to figure out how to haul in all of the passes and be more effective in the intermediate routes. I'm not downing on him, I guess I am just of the belief that he isn't that far away from his ceiling. I hope that I am wrong. He is definitely already an asset to our WR corps.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like MVS and agree that he has improved each season. I am just not as confident that he is going to figure out how to haul in all of the passes and be more effective in the intermediate routes. I'm not downing on him, I guess I am just of the belief that he isn't that far away from his ceiling. I hope that I am wrong. He is definitely already an asset to our WR corps.

This is very fair. Most areas of his game has progressed every year - except his hands. Some slower than others but progressed. Many of us here have said - give MVS good hands and he literally is a living breathing cheat code. I just don't know if that will ever happen.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We may finally get our answer to just how good the receiver group is without Rodgers. A guy like MVS benefited greatly from Rodgers, I don't see Bortles or Love being able to drop some of those dimes into his hands like AR did.

I also think the offense will be more structured and disciplined if AR isn't running it. Basically, what MLF calls, will most likely be the play. This will take away some of the audibles and ad-libbing that Rodgers was so good at off the table.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YPR is not yards per route. It is yards per reception.

Tyreke Hill is an incredible talent and is also a deep threat - but is used entirely different than MVS ever will and the same could be said the other way. That's like saying Davante Adams is a better receiver than MVS despite having a lower yards per reception - OF COURSE!

MVS has routinely in his time in the league as far as deep threats go proven he is elite in that specific category. I've provided countless stats comparing him and such and won't do that again here.

Also notice I never once stated MVS is some elite route runner, what I illustrated or noted was the growth we have seen in it over the time in the league. This Day 3 receiver came into the league after playing in college for a team that literally just asked him to run past people...didn't need a good route tree or release package because about 99% of the DBs he saw couldn't keep up with him.

In his few years in the league those that watch his routes, can clearly see the difference that has occurred from year 1, to 2 and last year in his third year.

He closed out the year last year with some exceptional mid and short routes - some he was than targeted others not - a few targets in the divisional game were of that short and intermediate variety where he made awesome breaks, attacked the ball with his hands and showed a strength even is fans wouldn't have predicted.

Again all this growth and he is still essentially a premiere deep threat in the league that is growing in his route tree yearly, his blocking is becoming a secondary strength of his and if he can just catch 5% more of his targets or so the dude is VERY valuable to the MLF system and our offense. VERY.

Everything you say is correct. I just have my doubts that MVS will become a more varied route runner as well as show the consistent ability to catch the ball that would lead to MLF getting more targets for him. I'm not saying he CAN'T, just that I doubt he can.

I'd also add that MLF appears to want to run the ball a lot so there's a real possibility that his, and every other receiver's, targets actually fall this year (depends heavily on the defense).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Offense: A.J. Dillon-- There are potentially 175+ touches out there for Dillon even if Jones is in the 225-250 range. That reality should explain to skeptics why they drafted AJ and then extended Jones. I likes Jamaal, but I believe that Dillon is a significantly superior rushing talent. Given that expanded role, I think he could make a major impact.

Defensive: Rashan Gary-- He was always an investment that was going to take some time to pay off. He flashed as a rookie and then showed quite a bit more in year two. There were times down the stretch when he looked like the best player on defense. I believe he's going to make good on his promise this year and become a star.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing Rashan excelled at that was quietly under the radar was setting the Edge. He was pretty effective there it just kinda comes natural to him forcing the runner inside. He’s ideal because when he’s already fading to seal the Edge, he gets to a threshold where he’d be hard to beat around the corner. Unless your an elite level sub 4.4’s type RB it ain’t happening on his watch.
By "Edge" are you talking about this guy?:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense
Darnell Savage : I think he takes a big leap this year to become one of the best big play safeties in the league. I wish they had given him number 36...

Runner up: Rashan Gary looking for double digit sacks from dude

Offense
AJ Dillon : I think you'll be able to call it a breakout for Dillon. Even tho we saw him do it once I think we see him put up some ridiculous numbers for a backup rb...I see him getting hot and taking over some games definitely. I'm still waiting for them to feed him in the NFC championship game after Jones goes down...

Runner up : MVS agree with @tynimiller I think he gets to 1000 in contract year. Unfortunately that will price him out of GB

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine a world of Green Bay trying to keep MVS after a SOLID year and also an Adams that needs a contract....we could lose both....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine a world of Green Bay trying to keep MVS after a SOLID year and also an Adams that needs a contract....we could lose both....

Only in the offseason will you hear MVS and Adams mentioned in the same breath to illicit concern…:p

Seriously, Gute made this bed so he better have a plan for the WRs.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time for some positive Packer threads.

Pick one for offense and 1 for defense. The player who will step up his game and make the biggest impact to the team

Offense:

Josiah Deguara. I think he is a special talent for what MLF wants to do on offense. He wants to keep the defense guessing. Deguara can do it all. Run, catch, and block very well in space. I don't think you will see numbers to show his impact, because his biggest impact will be blocking, but he will be a boost to the offense. 35 receptions and 2 TDs.

Defense
Keke - he was looking good late last season. Word is he put on 17 lbs of muscle and is in outstanding shape. Clearly he is working hard and is focused. I think he can be an impact player which will help Clark as well as the Smiths/Gary. I'm thinking 12 more sacks by the defense with 7.5 by Keke.
Offense is tough to pick we have too many variables due to injury and personal (Not personnel) issues. It could be anyone from Love to any of the young O-Lineman, EQStB or even god help me cause I don't believe in him MVS.

Defense: Kamal Martin. I think he locked down a starting job last year in training camp, but due to his knee surgery he had to work his way back into the rotation. I think right now he projects with Barnes as the 2 inside, and if that's the case I look for Martin to outplay the whole room, and if that's the case who's gonna run on us with 2 thumpers at ILB.

Reaction score
Oh no doubt. I've shared multiple times it is very rare for a guy that is as pure a deep threat as him to post 60% or better percentages. The crazy thing is if he just adds 5-10 more catches and ups his % to flirt with 60%
In relation to that, I happened to be watching reruns of a few preseason/regular season games recently looking at players. MVS had several remarkable drops and remarkable catches also. Several of his catches were as difficult as I’ve seen, where he highpointed the ball and won the contests with a DB. What’s weird is he dropped several easy ones.
So in my opinion he has room for growth if he can get the easy ones.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In relation to that, I happened to be watching reruns of a few preseason/regular season games recently looking at players. MVS had several remarkable drops and remarkable catches also. Several of his catches were as difficult as I’ve seen, where he highpointed the ball and won the contests with a DB. What’s weird is he dropped several easy ones.
So in my opinion he has room for growth if he can get the easy ones.
There were posters here who wanted Devante Adams gone as well after his 2nd season as he dropped more than a few passes.

Reaction score
There were posters here who wanted Devante Adams gone as well after his 2nd season as he dropped more than a few passes.
Oh yeah I remember that. I for one was not one of those.
Ironically I was at the home opener the year Davante was drafted and he made some nice chain moving catches for a Rookie. In a come back W from an early deficit against the Jets, Davante was limited but I remember him standing out.
Amazing to think I was watching him as a Rookie and now he’s a household name in the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts