Pack cut & trade vets Franks, Fergy, KGB, Barry, Manuel...?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Will Pack cut & trade vets KGB, Franks, Manuel & Ferguso

apparently KGB got pulled out after jumping offsides a couple times in the OTAs.

he was playing on second string.

If a guy gets sat down because hes not playing well on the second string, and he earns more than the entire second string defense.... then we have a serious problem there.

i think in order of probability of being cut its thist.

1. Ferguson
2. KGB
a wide gap
3. Franks
an even wider gap
4. Manuel.

I have to disagree with that. If a guy making X amount of dollars is on the second team. I don't think that's a problem per se. I think its excellent! Not that we are overpaying a second team talent, BUT that we are NOT putting people on the field simply based on their income. To me this is a sign that no matter who you are, what you make if you do not perform you will not play.

Ala Bubba Franks on second team.

A wise man once said "Fear is one helluva motivator" You can say they dont care cuz their making their money, sure. But as you implied its a problem if they are making so much money on the bench. You can bet they won't be on the bench for long, or on the team for long if that continues.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Pack cut & trade vets KGB, Franks, Manuel & Ferguson?

Fergy was the only player that sat in the parking lot and signed autographs after the Packs last training camp session last year.
That doesn't make him a lock to make the team but it sure makes the fans like him.

That's my son in the Gado jersey waiting to talk to Fergy.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Pack cut & trade vets KGB, Franks, Manuel & Ferguson?

I think Fergy is on his way out unless Clowney or Jones falters which is possible. KGB will stay on and so will Franks and Manuel but beyond this year I don't expect either of them to be on the team. Manuel I think has an outside chance getting cut but Aaron Rouse will need to step up which I think he will. However I see them keeping him on because they need a veteran backup.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Will Pack cut & trade vets KGB, Franks, Manuel & Ferguson?

I think Fergy is on his way out unless Clowney or Jones falters which is possible. KGB will stay on and so will Franks and Manuel but beyond this year I don't expect either of them to be on the team. Manuel I think has an outside chance getting cut but Aaron Rouse will need to step up which I think he will. However I see them keeping him on because they need a veteran backup.

INTERESTING.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fergy was the only player that sat in the parking lot and signed autographs after the Packs last training camp session last year.
That doesn't make him a lock to make the team but it sure makes the fans like him.

I like when a player takes the time to do that for the fans. It REALLY turns me off when they blow off the fans that just want their autograph. These guys make all that money because of the fans, why can't they be like this and give a little time for us?
Guys that were like Fergie were Ahman Green and William Henderson. They stopped after practice at the fence and signed for me and alot of other people.
One guy that stood out on the opposite end was Mike Flanagan. He wouldn't sign anything, even when there was only about 10 of us waiting. And he was parked right by the fence where we were standing. I saw him do this 3 times, just blow off the fans. And it's not like he was a big star, he was a CENTER.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yooperfan said:

I like when a player takes the time to do that for the fans. It REALLY turns me off when they blow off the fans that just want their autograph. These guys make all that money because of the fans, why can't they be like this and give a little time for us?
Guys that were like Fergie were Ahman Green and William Henderson. They stopped after practice at the fence and signed for me and alot of other people.
One guy that stood out on the opposite end was Mike Flanagan. He wouldn't sign anything, even when there was only about 10 of us waiting. And he was parked right by the fence where we were standing. I saw him do this 3 times, just blow off the fans. And it's not like he was a big star, he was a CENTER.

Two "stars" that did that to me (and many others) were Kirk Gibson at County Stadium and "Pistol" Pete Maravich in Phoenix.
Those were the days when you could go right down by the dugout and players would come up and sign autographs and let you have your picture taken with them.
Not Gibby, he wouldn't even let me take his pic.
What Gibby didn't know was that I had a long lens in my bag and I got a great pic of Al Kaline interviewing him at home plate

At least Gibby didn't swear at me like Maravich did.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yooperfan said:

That's actually something I consider when having favorite players. After all, WE pay their salaries.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
yooperfan said:

Two "stars" that did that to me (and many others) were Kirk Gibson at County Stadium and "Pistol" Pete Maravich in Phoenix.
Those were the days when you could go right down by the dugout and players would come up and sign autographs and let you have your picture taken with them.
Not Gibby, he wouldn't even let me take his pic.
What Gibby didn't know was that I had a long lens in my bag and I got a great pic of Al Kaline interviewing him at home plate

At least Gibby didn't swear at me like Maravich did.
Wow.....a couple of real jerks, hey?
Back in 1990 i went to a Brewers game at County Stadium. I got there right when the gates opened. I had my camera, and just wanted to get a few photos. The Brewers were playing the Seattle Mariners, and when i got in I saw Ken Griffey Jr. sitting on top of the visitors dugout. Two young boys ran up to him, with baseballs in their hands and said "Mr. Griffey, could we please have your autograph?" They were the only 2 people there, so it would have taken him all of 20 seconds maybe to sign for them. They were very polite. He glanced at them and said "Not now, I'm busy." He was just SITTING there, yet he couldn't take the few seconds for them. I DID get a great photo of him, but didn't bother to ask for an autograph. Had I been older, i would have confronted him and asked him why he couldn't take a few seconds for them. That will stick with those kids for their whole life. I could see they were very dejected.
If i saw that now, i'd tell him off. (Like i did Flanagan......it didn't make a difference, but made me feel better)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
yooperfan said:

That's actually something I consider when having favorite players. After all, WE pay their salaries.
Me too! If it wasn't for us rabid fans, they wouldn't be millionaires!
I took a real nice photo of Robin Yount and Paul Molitor at the stadium, and a friend of mine knew some of the guys on the team. We went to the game early, and he asked them if they could sign the photo for me. They both signed it in blue sharpie! It's one of my favorites, as I took the picture myself, and I have 2 hall of famers on it.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO SURPRISE: BARRY CUT FIRST

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

An Unsurprising Cut

It's not a surprise, but the Packers finally parted ways with T Kevin Barry. He initially showed some promise at the beginning of his career, but never showed up when Mike Sherman actually gave him a chance. However, GM Ted Thompson gave him a two year deal in March 2006, probably because the Packers were so thin at OL that he felt he needed to keep who he already had, but it was known that they were switching to a zone blocking scheme and keeping a 330 lb. immobile tackle seemed like a bad idea. After missing the 2006 season with an injury and the drafting of three quality offensive linemen in 2006 (Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, and Tony Moll), plus Allen Barbre in 2007, it is time to part ways with the man. Hopefully his release in June will give him enough time to find a home before training camp. Maybe a team that employs a power running game is looking for a giant right tackle.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: NO SURPRISE: BARRY CUT FIRST

According to TK at Scout.com, Barry failed the team's physical. We will miss the U-71 man. Hopefully, new talent depth along with a year's experience will lead this mobile line to be stronger and more consistent. Even Starr said it.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=650324

Barry failed team's physical

Offensive lineman Kevin Barry was released by the Packers on Friday because he failed the team's physical, PackerReport.com has learned. Barry missed all of last season with a quadriceps....

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packnic said:
apparently KGB got pulled out after jumping offsides a couple times in the OTAs.

he was playing on second string.

If a guy gets sat down because hes not playing well on the second string, and he earns more than the entire second string defense.... then we have a serious problem there.

i think in order of probability of being cut its thist.

1. Ferguson
2. KGB
a wide gap
3. Franks
an even wider gap
4. Manuel.

I have to disagree with that. If a guy making X amount of dollars is on the second team. I don't think that's a problem per se. I think its excellent! Not that we are overpaying a second team talent, BUT that we are NOT putting people on the field simply based on their income. To me this is a sign that no matter who you are, what you make if you do not perform you will not play.

Ala Bubba Franks on second team.

A wise man once said "Fear is one helluva motivator" You can say they dont care cuz their making their money, sure. But as you implied its a problem if they are making so much money on the bench. You can bet they won't be on the bench for long, or on the team for long if that continues.

Potentially, it's a huge problem...starters in the NFL who are on their rookie deals are looking for the huge payday. Most likely, the $$$ will be there if production is high. It doesn't make sense to have backups that are making starter money...I think this is a way to put a team into cap hell a la San Fran after their SB and playoff-winning ways ended a while back. I think Bubba on the 2nd string making the money he's making won't cut it for long...he either decides to step up his play or will most likely head back to Miami until another team picks him up. I guess I feel the same way about KGB and Fergy...the only thing saving them right now is the cap situation the Packers are in. They can afford to keep all of these guys at their current salaries and sign their rookies.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE: YOUNGER OL LOOKING GOOD!

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/packers/

Packers Release Kevin Barry and Josh Bourke

The Green Bay Packers have parted ways with two of their reserves on the offensive line. Both guard Kevin Barry and tackle Josh Bourke were released yesterday after they began to slip down the depth chart. Coming into the offseason, both had a chance to earn primary back-up rolls but were unable to impress Packers coaches. Both were still recovering from injuries that caused them to miss the entire 2006 season and were not helped by some of the younger offensive linemen who were having exceptional camps. In addition to releasing those two, the Packers also agreed to an injury settlement with linebacker Marcus Randall. Following the agreement, he was released as well.

Devil_Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the only way Franks goes is if we packaged him in a deal during the draft, he survived that, and I think he'll survive one more season. KGB got lucky with our first pick of the draft, being that Harrell should help lighten the load on him and Kampman. Ferguson, I think he'll also stick around, more for the fact he's got a bit more knowledge of the game, and he's a bit of a vet. Or WR depth chart is pretty young, I don't see him getting cut either. With that, I think they all stay one more season.

Members online

Latest posts