(over)reaction season is finally here!

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing OT is all about the footwork and handwork. His footwork is so bad, out of position or off balance, that we cannot even tell if handwork is any good.
The irony is that we gave up a 4th and 7th in order to jump the Bears and take Spriggs before they did, and he looks awful. In response, they traded back and picked up an extra 4th and Whitehair, who looks like a Pro Bowl caliber player. So we are getting out-drafted by nearly every other team in our division, and little to no talent is being acquired in FA. Looks to be a promising future.

I didn't see the game the other night, but I just watched the Wentz TD. I would have fired Capers after the game. It's a preseason game, but that is what we have become used to seeing from this group over years, and it's an embarrassment.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the overreaction time is during ota's and the offseason when crazy projections are made about guys who look good in shorts. Once the pads come on in the preseason the balloon starts to pop for some of the overhyped players. Spriggs is a perfect example. People raved about his athleticism at first but he has been garbage with the pads on. Janis is another example of offseason hype. While its difficult to make predictions about a team based upon preseason games, these meaningless exhibitions do tell a lot about a team's depth and how it will fare if injuries take out starters.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The irony is that we gave up a 4th and 7th in order to jump the Bears and take Spriggs before they did, and he looks awful. In response, they traded back and picked up an extra 4th and Whitehair, who looks like a Pro Bowl caliber player. So we are getting out-drafted by nearly every other team in our division, and little to no talent is being acquired in FA. Looks to be a promising future.

I didn't see the game the other night, but I just watched the Wentz TD. I would have fired Capers after the game. It's a preseason game, but that is what we have become used to seeing from this group over years, and it's an embarrassment.

Out drafted by the division?

Maybe by the Vikings on defense, but that's all. The Bears are one of the league's worst rosters and the Lions are average.

And speaking of drafting, Kenny Clark looked very good Thursday.

Fire Capers for that TD makes no sense. The play was perfect. Clay had a free run at Wentz and whiffed. Love to know how that was on Capers.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out drafted by the division?

Maybe by the Vikings on defense, but that's all. The Bears are one of the league's worst rosters and the Lions are average.

And speaking of drafting, Kenny Clark looked very good Thursday.

Fire Capers for that TD makes no sense. The play was perfect. Clay had a free run at Wentz and whiffed. Love to know how that was on Capers.
Can you name any impactful picks made by GB over the past few years? I can't, and certainly not at the same level as our division rivals. Danielle Hunter and Stefon Diggs for Minnesota, Whitehair and Howard for Chicago, and Decker for Detroit have all played at Pro Bowl levels, which is far more than you can say for any of our players. Most of the guys we have picked since 2015 are barely rotational caliber. Montgomery has been the closest thing we've had to a bright spot in the past couple of drafts, and he's a bit of a hybrid and not an every down staple like the other guys mentioned. If you can provide examples of how swell we are doing in the draft as of recent years, especially considering we basically ignore FA, I'm all ears.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First team defense being very good makes me think we watched different games. They look like almost the same defense as last year to me, with a bit worse LBs and a bit better DL.
I agree. Same old, same old. Secondary getting burned and looking clueless against Philly's #1 offense.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so tired of this act, as well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you name any impactful picks made by GB over the past few years? I can't, and certainly not at the same level as our division rivals. Danielle Hunter and Stefon Diggs for Minnesota, Whitehair and Howard for Chicago, and Decker for Detroit have all played at Pro Bowl levels, which is far more than you can say for any of our players. Most of the guys we have picked since 2015 are barely rotational caliber. Montgomery has been the closest thing we've had to a bright spot in the past couple of drafts, and he's a bit of a hybrid and not an every down staple like the other guys mentioned. If you can provide examples of how swell we are doing in the draft as of recent years, especially considering we basically ignore FA, I'm all ears.

Ty was clearly impactful last year. Randall and Rollins were very good as rookies. Rip and Ryan and contributed. Lowry and Clark both look side solid starters right now.

If you can't think of a single impactful player, you're either not trying or exaggerating.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So what about the missed sack by Clay was on Capers?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Now THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is overeaction!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will say this about the Jason Spriggs pick, even had it worked out and he was playing decent, I still go back to the 2016 draft and ask; Why the pick and giving up 2 additional picks to move up 9 spots to get a guy projected to play tackle when you have Bahk on a new contract (through 2020 season) and Bulaga locked in through 2019? That is a steep price to pay for a guy slated to be a backup for at least 4 years.

The fact that he doesn't look very good so far in his second year, just adds more to that question of why did the Packers use 3 picks to get him as a backup, especially when there were more pressing needs at the time?

Stick with your original plan that was successful TT, let Campen develop mid to late round guys or UDFA's for the future and stop throwing away high picks for a guy that wasn't really needed anyway.

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this about the Jason Spriggs pick, even had it worked out and he was playing decent, I still go back to the 2016 draft and ask; Why the pick and giving up 2 additional picks to move up 9 spots to get a guy projected to play tackle when you have Bahk on a new contract (through 2020 season) and Bulaga locked in through 2019? That is a steep price to pay for a guy slated to be a backup for at least 4 years.

The fact that he doesn't look very good so far in his second year, just adds more to that question of why did the Packers use 3 picks to get him as a backup, especially when there were more pressing needs at the time?

Stick with your original plan that was successful TT, let Campen develop mid to late round guys or UDFA's for the future and stop throwing away high picks for a guy that wasn't really needed anyway.
Look no further than the 2015 season. Having a quality backup is KEY when you need it.

Spriggs needs to get better for sure though, he looked bad in the Eagles game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a guy isn't really needed, until he is. he did not look good on Thursday. Looked worse than when he was a rookie I thought. But they obviously liked him and think he can be good. We've had more than a few guys play right and left tackle NOT named BahkT or Bulaga. Having a quality backup, which was obviously their plan, is hardly a stupid thing to do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would still contend that having a quality backup Tackle, although nice, was not a luxury the Packers could afford to spend 3 picks on in the 2016 draft when they had other more pressing needs. This was debated before, so silly to debate it again. My opinion then and now haven't changed, so far the results just strengthen my view of the risks of gambling on 1 pick VS 3.

I won't even play the hindsight card and list all the guys we could have used those picks on instead of Spriggs. ;)

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is overeaction!
The defense has been average at best, pathetic at worst in the regular season, and horrific in the playoffs. How is firing the guy responsible for the defense an overreaction? Is he suddenly going to become good at his job?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The defense has been average at best, pathetic at worst in the regular season, and horrific in the playoffs. How is firing the guy responsible for the defense an overreaction? Is he suddenly going to become good at his job?

My 2 cents.....the thread and timing of your post (after 1 preseason game) kind of "holds you on high grounds".....now had you posted THAT in the Fire Capers thread.....well...now you have company. ;)

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what about the missed sack by Clay was on Capers?
Maybe because it would send a message that there is actually some sort of standard to be held in the organization. Instead of the second highest paid player on the team performing like a backup for years, with no actual attempt to restructure his contract to pay him what he's actually worth or replace him with a starting caliber player. Or the DC keeping his job despite ending playoff run after playoff run.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 2 cents.....the thread and timing of your post (after 1 preseason game) kind of "holds you on high grounds".....now had you posted THAT in the Fire Capers thread.....well...now you have company. ;)
Just look at what Tampa Bay did... they cut a guy who they had invested a lot in after one preseason game. Every game is meaningful, even the preseason ones. Especially if players are showing the same struggles that they did in the regular season.

"Overreacting" in terms of personnel decisions in the NFL is that nature of the league. Maybe the fans of GB are complacent and happy just to be getting a participation trophy by going to the playoffs each season, but no other team in the league would accept this complacency or lack of attempt to improve the team if they had the key ingredient to winning a championship in Rodgers. The message is that failure is acceptable, and myself and other fans are sick of it. We are overreacting about the defense and Capers because it is a change which should have taken place about half a decade ago.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at what Tampa Bay did... they cut a guy who they had invested a lot in after one preseason game. Every game is meaningful, even the preseason ones. Especially if players are showing the same struggles that they did in the regular season.

"Overreacting" in terms of personnel decisions in the NFL is that nature of the league. Maybe the fans of GB are complacent and happy just to be getting a participation trophy by going to the playoffs each season, but no other team in the league would accept this complacency or lack of attempt to improve the team if they had the key ingredient to winning a championship in Rodgers. The message is that failure is acceptable, and myself and other fans are sick of it. We are overreacting about the defense and Capers because it is a change which should have taken place about half a decade ago.

Not sure we should model anything after TB. They player they cut was a kicker they drafted....in the 2nd round. That was a terrible decision in the first place.

Anyway, yet another thread becomes off topic in order to complain about the organization. I would think people would get tired of complaining about the same things over and over.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would still contend that having a quality backup Tackle, although nice, was not a luxury the Packers could afford to spend 3 picks on in the 2016 draft when they had other more pressing needs. This was debated before, so silly to debate it again. My opinion then and now haven't changed, so far the results just strengthen my view of the risks of gambling on 1 pick VS 3.

I won't even play the hindsight card and list all the guys we could have used those picks on instead of Spriggs. ;)

I didn't have a problem with it at the time, but the urgency TT showed by moving up to take him and the timing of Bahk's contract led us to believe that he would be the replacement. The fact that they were so quick to extend Bahk and basically designate Spriggs as a backup or Guard for the foreseeable future gave me the impression that he wasn't as good as they had thought, and probably never would be. That's on them.

The 3 RB haul in the last draft was pretty amatuerish, as well. Williams and a flier on one in the 7th is fine, but Aaron Jones was completely unneccesary. He doesn't have the size or athleticism to carve out any sort of a niche that a thousand undrafted guys or FAs couldn't fill. If we were going to load up at any position in the draft, it should have been CB.

You have a cite for this? Both sides need to agree. I'm Clay, I tell TT via my agent to take a hike.
Then cut him.
Yep, the fans in Indy and New Orleans are rioting in the streets demanding a change. :rolleyes:
No, because they have actually made changes. Indy has had more than one GM and NO more than one DC in the past few years. And guy with the highest QB rating of all time>Guy with not the highest QB rating of all time.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we have a problem...Jason Spriggs? And Don Barclay? Barclay has ALWAYS sucked...but he wasn't a 2nd rd pick. I knew it would be a mistake to let Lang walk.. but you usually don't trade up to grab a guy in the 2nd and leave him on the bench. Plus he's cheaper. The o line depth is an issue every other year on this team I swear.

I like King. We didn't have any corners who could tackle last season, so I'll take a couple coverage mistakes from a rookie. I know he's going to get better...all the tools to be a pro bowl caliber player are there.

I'm still feeling the need to score 30 a game. This defense just needs a new voice and young coach with fire. Dom's style is old and stale.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with it at the time, but the urgency TT showed by moving up to take him and the timing of Bahk's contract led us to believe that he would be the replacement. The fact that they were so quick to extend Bahk and basically designate Spriggs as a backup or Guard for the foreseeable future gave me the impression that he wasn't as good as they had thought, and probably never would be. That's on them.

The 3 RB haul in the last draft was pretty amatuerish, as well. Williams and a flier on one in the 7th is fine, but Aaron Jones was completely unneccesary. He doesn't have the size or athleticism to carve out any sort of a niche that a thousand undrafted guys or FAs couldn't fill. If we were going to load up at any position in the draft, it should have been CB.

Then cut him.

No, because they have actually made changes. Indy has had more than one GM and NO more than one DC in the past few years. And guy with the highest QB rating of all time>Guy with not the highest QB rating of all time.

So just making changes, even if they don't work, is good?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Good players from classes 2010-2014, i.e. a five year sample starting from the first class we can adequately judge with three years of play.

GB: Bulaga, Burnett, Cobb, Perry, Hayward, Daniels, Bakhtiari, Tretter, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, Adams, and Linsley.

MIN: Griffin, Rudolph, Smith, Floyd, Rhodes, Barr, and Bridgewater.

CHI: Jeffery and Long.

DET: Suh, Reiff, Ansah, Slay, and Warford.

I think it kind of speaks for itself. 2015-17 may or may not be a different but it's too soon to say.

Latest posts