(over)reaction season is finally here!

Reaction score
Stop me if you've heard this one before:

So, there's this first team defense which has an apparently pretty good run coverage, pretty bad pass rush, bad tackling, horrific pass coverage, and gets hurt a lot.

Oh, you have heard it before?

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My reactions are
trevor davis is the punt returner
Jeff janis is on the team as a gunner/battle for 4 slot
Michael clark is at worst the #7 reciever
Deangelo yancy is also in that competition
Max mccaffery can play but is on outside looking in
Geronimo allison might get cut
Damarious randall is too small and fraile
Malachi dupre needs a year on the practice squad
TT might have something in devante mays
The first team defense will be very good
Kenny clark is gonna break out
Perry/matthews are gomna provide pressure
Lowry is gonna be solid
Clinton dix is gonna take the next step
Jones is gonna take awhile to start making plays
King looks real lanky and skinny nice tacle though
Taysom hill seems like a better version of joe callahan

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
My reactions are
trevor davis is the punt returner
Jeff janis is on the team as a gunner/battle for 4 slot
Michael clark is at worst the #7 reciever
Deangelo yancy is also in that competition
Max mccaffery can play but is on outside looking in
Geronimo allison might get cut
Damarious randall is too small and fraile
Malachi dupre needs a year on the practice squad
TT might have something in devante mays
The first team defense will be very good
Kenny clark is gonna break out
Perry/matthews are gomna provide pressure
Lowry is gonna be solid
Clinton dix is gonna take the next step
Jones is gonna take awhile to start making plays
King looks real lanky and skinny nice tacle though
Taysom hill seems like a better version of joe callahan
Not sure if these qualify as over reactions (grumble grumble). Alright, let me put on my serious hat for a second...
-Davis as punt returner is not yet fully annoited for me, but at worst he provides nothing less than other punt returners.
-Michael Clark has a lot of development to do, but dear god is he talented. We absolutely must ensure that he is on the team in some facet or another. I'm not sure I'd put him on the 53 yet, but if he keeps looking that good I'm starting to fret over who we DO keep on the 53 at WR (though, unfortunately, the Dupree hit might make that a bit easier)
-Agreed on Randall. My fear all along after how last season panned out was that he would come back scared, and that's just how he looks to me.
-First team defense being very good makes me think we watched different games. They look like almost the same defense as last year to me, with a bit worse LBs and a bit better DL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hundley was fine, but will need to show better if he's going to become a trade chip.

Williams seems to have the #2 job (at least) all but sewn up.

The WR battle is crazy. Davis probably did more than anyone to lock down a roster spot with his PR performance.

OL depth could be a problem.

Kevin King is not ready yet.

That's what I took away from the game.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
Hundley was fine, but will need to show better if he's going to become a trade chip.

Williams seems to have the #2 job (at least) all but sewn up.

The WR battle is crazy. Davis probably did more than anyone to lock down a roster spot with his PR performance.

OL depth could be a problem.

Kevin King is not ready yet.

That's what I took away from the game.
Yeah, Hundley didn't worry me at all. It's pretty much been 2 years since he played. It's gonna be okay.
Agree on all the rest as well, but about Williams... I'd kinda joked a few weeks back in the "is Monty special" thread that I was wondering if Williams might totally unseat Monty by start of the season. I said that because of the reports that Williams was already pass blocking better than Monty in practices, and given the fact that his body and abilities seem pretty decent. After last night, I'm not sure how much of a joke that might be. Granted, the line looked awful, and this is just preseason - glorified practices - but I'm going to have to keep an eye on Williams. Really would love to see him get some first team snaps so we can see what he does against first team defenses.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest concern coming out of the 1st preseason game was the poor play of the OL and the injury to Don Barclay.

Jason Spriggs did not look good out there at all. There's no JC Tretter to plug in when someone goes down, and that's going to hurt I think.

Last year the OL was rock solid. This year it might be the one thing that holds the offense back. Too soon to panic though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark does need to develop but he already knows how to use his size. Because of that and the fact that he is a unique weapon that isnt currently present in the wr room. For that same reason i think mccaffery ends up on the practice squad no matter how good a pre season he has. Right now i think the recivers gotta be. 87, 17, 18, janis, davis, yancey, and clark. When you start 3 wr keeping 7 really not over kill eapecially when you have a group with such diverse talent. I think dupre may end up on injured reserve as it looks like he needs to get stronger or the same things gonna happen again. Then i think you keep mccaffery and allison on practice squad. As for montgomery he is far too dangerous of a weapon with the formation flexiabilty he offers mm so theres no way he doesnt start

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah, Hundley didn't worry me at all. It's pretty much been 2 years since he played. It's gonna be okay.
Agree on all the rest as well, but about Williams... I'd kinda joked a few weeks back in the "is Monty special" thread that I was wondering if Williams might totally unseat Monty by start of the season. I said that because of the reports that Williams was already pass blocking better than Monty in practices, and given the fact that his body and abilities seem pretty decent. After last night, I'm not sure how much of a joke that might be. Granted, the line looked awful, and this is just preseason - glorified practices - but I'm going to have to keep an eye on Williams. Really would love to see him get some first team snaps so we can see what he does against first team defenses.

I agree. I've said for quite a while that I thought pass pro was a big reason why they drafted Williams and would be the primary way by which he might steal carries.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
Jason Spriggs did not look good out there at all.
Yeah, that's the one thing that I saw which I didn't think was something about which I could say "no biggie." Spriggs has NEVER looked good, and right now he looks like pure garbage. He's gotten bigger, but he has showed absolutely nothing to justify him as a 1st rounder, let alone being kept as depth. He's a pure liability both as a lineman and as a roster spot. Too soon to bail on him, but damn but if he doesn't look more like a PS guy than anything else.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One part of preseason I always try to temper my enthusiasm or disappointment over a guy is this. When the starters for both teams are done for the night or not even out there, it's really hard to determine if a brilliant play made by someone, was simply because the guys playing against him aren't so good or even the opposite.....is this guy actually better than this, but the guys he is relying on are not that good. We see this every year, a guy looks like a stud in the 4th quarter of a preseason game because he caught a long pass or made an interception, against an UDFA who will be selling cars next week.

I still love watching preseason, just to get a taste of Packer Football, but I bow to the coaches for deciding just what it all means in the evaluation of talent. From memory, once certain guys start showing potential, we get to see them rotated in with the starters in game 3, give them a solid test of what kind of player they really are.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
Good thing he wasn't drafted in the first round then, eh?
Looks to me like both defensive lines were ahead of the offensive lines last night. Also looks like MM wanted to see what he had for receiving depth. Young depth guys didn't drop much.
doh! XD well, he doesn't even look like a 5th rounder, let alone a 2nd lol.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just rewatched first half.

Janis dropped on the WR depth chart. One good play against a borderline CB does not change that.

Williams outplayed Montgomery. Ty is going to be a change of threat novelty. Jamaal is going to be starting, soon.

Starting defense got a lot of pressure. Wentz is a very talented, mobile qb and impressed me a great deal. Eagles hit the jackpot. We would have had another 2 sacks against an average qb. Also, I saw an obvious not-called hold that saved a sack.

King did better in coverage than my first impression. He has a way to go, but didnt look bad for a rookie with only a limited offseason. Give him some time.

Burnett has turned up his game a notch.

H

HardRightEdge

Good energy and speed on defense. That's progress. The DBs were attacking downhill all night, run, blitz, screen. I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Here's an overreaction for you. Anybody else think Hill was the best looking QB on the field yesterday?

Sure, it was third stringers against third stringers but his balls zipped with accuracy. He's got the best arm strength among these guys and as an emergency replacement he might go all Kaepernick on a defense not prepared for his speed. Yeah, he's 27 years old. Still, Callahan better watch out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an overreaction for you. Anybody else think Hill was the best looking QB on the field yesterday?

Sure, it was third stringers against third stringers but his balls zipped with accuracy. He's got the best arm strength among these guys and as an emergency replacement he might go all Kaepernick on a defense not prepared for his speed. Yeah, he's 27 years old. Still, Callahan better watch out.
Maybe I had too many Apple ciders by the fourth quarter, but I was not that impressed. Thought he made bad decisions with the ball. Too raw. Does not make sense too spend a few seasons developing a guy that age. Thought Callahan looked better than Huntley, but you have to give Huntly another go before drawing any conclusions.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe I had too many Apple ciders by the fourth quarter, but I was not that impressed. Thought he made bad decisions with the ball. Too raw. Does not make sense too spend a few seasons developing a guy that age. Thought Callahan looked better than Huntley, but you have to give Huntly another go before drawing any conclusions.
I'd like to see Hill play when he's not under constant duress from sh*tty second/third team pass blocking, but that probably won't happen. He looked a lot better than Callahan dealing with it. Anyway, how many bad decisions can there be in 4-5 with a TD, two runs for 14 yards and an 8 play, 82 yard drive. I didn't see any.

When in comes to age, we should look at QBs differently. The rules are such that if they play smart longevity does not reach a decision point age 30 as at other positions. Besides, what difference does it make how old a guy is if you develop him and he's gone in 4 years? Or if he stays after 4 years for lack of interest then the development is not so special.

Hundley did a couple of things that bothered me. Call me a nit picker. After throwing the TD to Janis, Williams was in Janis' face giving him congratulatory rah-rah. Hundley comes up and shoves Williams out of the way, like "rook get out of my spotlight". Then he invites a guy to a Lambeau leap who had nothing to do with the play, as if to say, "I wish it were you, man." I had no idea Hundley might be a ****. Maybe he is. Guys don't work hard for you if you're a ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Hill play when he's not under constant duress from sh*tty second team pass blocking, but that probably won't happen. Anyway, how many bad decisions can there be in 4-5 for with a TD, two 7 yard runs and an 8 play, 82 yard drive.

When in comes to age, we should look at QBs differently. The rules are such that if they play smart longevity does reach a decision point age 30. Besides, what difference does it make how old a guy is if you develop him and he's gone in 4 years. Or if he stays after 4 years for lack of interest then the development is not so special.

Hundley did a couple of things that bothered me. Call me nit picker. After throwing the TD to Janis, Williams was in Janis' face giving him congratulatory rah-rah. Hundley comes up and shoves Williams out of the way, like "rook get out of my spotlight". Then he invites a guy to a Lambeau leap with a guy who had nothing to do with it as if to say, "I wish it were you, man." I had no idea Hundley might be ****. Maybe he is.
Good points. I have now shifted to a wait and see stance.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Hill play when he's not under constant duress from sh*tty second/third team pass blocking, but that probably won't happen. He looked a lot better than Callahan dealing with it. Anyway, how many bad decisions can there be in 4-5 with a TD, two runs for 14 yards and an 8 play, 82 yard drive. I didn't see any.

When in comes to age, we should look at QBs differently. The rules are such that if they play smart longevity does not reach a decision point age 30 as at other positions. Besides, what difference does it make how old a guy is if you develop him and he's gone in 4 years? Or if he stays after 4 years for lack of interest then the development is not so special.

Hundley did a couple of things that bothered me. Call me a nit picker. After throwing the TD to Janis, Williams was in Janis' face giving him congratulatory rah-rah. Hundley comes up and shoves Williams out of the way, like "rook get out of my spotlight". Then he invites a guy to a Lambeau leap who had nothing to do with the play, as if to say, "I wish it were you, man." I had no idea Hundley might be a ****. Maybe he is. Guys don't work hard for you if you're a ****.

Aaron rodgers is definitely a ****. I think most really good nfl quarterbacks are. I guess to be that good you kinda have to love yourself a little too much. But i also noticed hundley push dude like that and it rubbed me the wrong way too

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one thing that I saw which I didn't think was something about which I could say "no biggie." Spriggs has NEVER looked good, and right now he looks like pure garbage. He's gotten bigger, but he has showed absolutely nothing to justify him as a 1st rounder, let alone being kept as depth. He's a pure liability both as a lineman and as a roster spot. Too soon to bail on him, but damn but if he doesn't look more like a PS guy than anything else.
Despite his athleticism which have been praised by the scouting community, Spriggs can't seem to play in space. He supposedly did a decent job filling in at guard last year, but trading up for an average guard in the 2nd is disappointing.

H

HardRightEdge

Despite his athleticism which have been praised by the scouting community, Spriggs can't seem to play in space. He supposedly did a decent job filling in at guard last year, but trading up for an average guard in the 2nd is disappointing.
Playing OT is all about the footwork and handwork. His footwork is so bad, out of position or off balance, that we cannot even tell if handwork is any good.

H

HardRightEdge

Aaron rodgers is definitely a ****. I think most really good nfl quarterbacks are. I guess to be that good you kinda have to love yourself a little too much. But i also noticed hundley push dude like that and it rubbed me the wrong way too
When you're the CEO, being something of a **** is earned as is part of the job description. When failure falls to you, then the job is to be demanding of your minions.

When you're the under assistant west coast promo man, some humility is required. Hundley will have earned the right to be a **** when he gets a starting job.

Members online

Latest posts