OTA 3: HIGHLIGHTS

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Pressure? What pressure?: Cornerback Charles Woodson said he didn't get pressure from the coaching staff to show up at the OTA sessions. "There wasn't any pressure," he said in the locker room after today's practice. "I think probably more pressure from you guys, wondering what I am oing and where I âm at. I âm here, mainly letting everybody know I am doing all right. I told the coach I would be here and here I am." Woodson said he's in good shape but has a ways to go. "I've got a few more weeks in Houston in the workout program," he said. "So by the time I come back, I will be a little bit lighter. I will be ready to go." Woodson works out at least once a day at a gym in Houston. "They have a lot of different groups in there," he said. "They have NFL players, volleyball, martial arts, all kind of things. I go in there in the morning, work out for a few hours, every day. "I do work on the track, long distance work, some footwork, agility, that type of thing. But I don't really specifically work on defensive back things till training camp starts."

Who is Chad Clifton's backup?: If the Packers played a game today and left tackle Chad Clifton went down, his replacement would be starting left guard Daryn Colledge, according to McCarthy. McCarthy is hoping someone else emerges at left tackle. "You never have enough left tackles," he said. "That will take care of itself in its place and time. I think Daryn is definitely a guy that has proven he can play there, on short notice like he did in Miami (last season). Orrin (Thompson) has done a nice job. He'll have an opportunity. Tony Moll is a guy that I think if we had to, we could move him over there. "We've talked about this before, and I think it's important, particularly with young linemen, and we have a number of them, is to get them established in one position, or left side or right side. We've had to move a number of our young players around last year, and I'm hoping to get away from that as much as I can in the future. Versatility is important, but I think when particularly linemen in the earlier stages, the more you can keep them in one position, I think they will progress quicker."

When asked why offensive lineman Kevin Barry was cut last week, McCarthy said: "Well, number one, the numbers. We were obviously high there as far as our numbers going into camp. And Kevin was coming back. But to say he wasn't a fit or he was a fit, frankly I didn't have enough information because he really didn't participate very much in the time that he was healthy. In my view it was more of the time on his clock ran out here. He was a player that did some positive things, but when you talk about offensive line, and when people talk about being a third tight end, I wasn't looking for another tight end. We were looking for offensive linemen that particularly can play multiple positions, and really his opportunity just did not happen because of his injury situation."

Ferguson says he's 100%: After sitting out the first two weeks of OTA sessions, receiver Robert Ferguson said he is 100% and has been practicing all week. Ferguson missed most of last season with a foot injury. "He's fine there," said McCarthy. "He's sore like a lot of the guys coming back from the injuries."

Rodgers gets the football: In Favre's absence, Aaron Rodgers received a significant amount of work. He made an impressive bullet pass to James Jones between two defenders in team drills, but also missed a couple of open receivers in 7-on-7 competition. Said McCarthy: "I thought he was solid today. He missed a couple throws that were there, that he clearly was capable of making. "I think when he practiced yesterday, he had a very good start, and it wasn't his best finish. But this is exactly what Aaron needs. He needs reps. He's had a good spring."

Woodson's appearance pleased McCarthy: McCarthy has been pleased to see cornerback Charles Woodson practicing in Green Bay this week. "I think it's great anytime your younger players can get the work that's needed with your veteran players," McCarthy said. "I was very happy to see him, very pleased with the shape he's in. He's ready to go. He's further ahead than he was at this time last year. So we had a good week of work with Charles." Woodson said he promised McCarthy he would show up at the OTAs and is keeping his word. Woodson said he didn't plan to attend the team's final two OTA sessions next week.

Blackmon still out of commission: Cornerback Will Blackmon has missed the last week of OTA practices with what coach Mike McCarthy called a groin injury. When asked if it's serious, McCarthy said: "No, I don't think so. I'm hoping he'll be ready ... hopefully next week he can get some work. But I don't think it can go much longer than that." Blackmon, a second-year pro, missed all but four games last season with foot and rib injuries. He was expected to compete for the nickel cornerback job.

Favre has sore shoulder: Brett Favre didn't practice today or Wednesday at the Packers' OTA practices because of a sore shoulder. At a press conference following today's practice, Favre said: "My shoulder was just a little sore. (I) could practice, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense to make it any worse. I think it's tendonitis or something like that." Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Favre would not participate in the final two OTA sessions next Monday and Tuesday. McCarthy said Favre's shoulder was routine soreness and there was no cause for alarm. "I'll probably take a week off or something and see how it feels," said Favre, "and then start gradually throwing and get back into it." Favre is scheduled to appear in his celebrity charity softball tournament Sunday at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute. He said he might be relegated to designated hitter status for the game. "I don't even know if that's a smart thing to do," he said. Favre had off-season surgery for bone spurs on his ankle, but said it feels fine.

Other absences: Besides Favre, other players not in attendance at practice: cornerbacks Will Blackmon and Al Harris, linebackers Abdul Hodge and Nick Barnett and wide receiver Donald Driver [including Moll and Jolly].

Favre a no show, but Woodson attends: Brett Favre was not on the field for practice today. Coach Mike McCarthy had previously said Favre would take part in 9 of 12 OTA sessions. Favre is scheduled to hold a press conference this afternoon, and his celebrity softball tournament is on Sunday. Cornerback Charles Woodson was in attendance for the first time at an OTA open to the media. Woodson didn't attend any of the OTA sessions last year.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PICS

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbc...0614&Kategori=PKRCAMP&Lopenr=706140808&Ref=PH

[align=center]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson (right) knocks a pass away from wide receiver Robert Ferguson during Organized Team Activities practice[/align]

[align=center]

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre holds a news conference at Lambeau Field Thursday.[/align]

[align=center]

Green Bay Packers safety Aaron Rouse defends a pass in the end zone during practice[/align]

[align=center]

Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson talks with quarterback Aaron Rodgers during Organized Team Activities [/align]

[align=center]

Green Bay Packers defensive end Cullen Jenkins takes a break during practice[/align]

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA: THURSDAY

Who'd you steal from this time, Tophat?

(Kidding)

Favres shoulder is sore, and he thinks he doesnt need mini camps\OTAs? Or is it sore BECAUSE of them...

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BF, Notes & Injuries

http://packers.scout.com/2/651791.html

Favre sits out of practice. Quarterback, team 'not concerned' about shoulder soreness.

Brett Favre was in Green Bay, but did not participate in practice today or yesterday in the team’s practices. The quarterback has experienced some shoulder soreness, but neither coach Mike McCarthy nor Favre nor the team doctors are very concerned. As scheduled, Favre participated in nine of the days and seven of the team’s nine practices thus far. The Packers finish up their OTA practices next Monday and Tuesday in Green Bay. “Conditioning wise, he’s probably in better shape than last year,” said McCarthy, who downplayed the shoulder soreness. “(Dr.) Pat McKenzie is not concerned about it, so I’m not concerned.”

Favre’s presence in practices and meetings in the past few weeks has been invaluable, McCarthy said. It has given both Favre and the younger receivers a better chance to get familiar with each other, on and off the field. Favre, addressing reporters after practice, says that the OTA practices have been helpful, and that is conditioning for this time of year is somewhat ahead of schedule. “Obviously, I’m not in opening day shape right now, but I feel pretty good,” Favre said. Favre plans to work out with personal trainer, like he did last year, when he returns to his home in Hattiesburg, Miss., next week. He will be in Green Bay through the weekend when he hosts his annual charity softball game Sunday in Grand Chute.

“I’d like to think that I’m in as good, if not better shape right now (than last year). My weight is probably as good as it’s been.” Favre said that he currently weighs 220 pounds, way down from his weight of 236 pounds when the Packers won the Super Bowl after the 1996 season. “I probably had a little different weight on me at the time,” Favre deadpanned. “I feel great. I’ve probably taken better care of myself,” said Favre. “I have to admit that I kind of eat what I want. I just don’t eat a lot of it. I don’t kill myself in the weight room, or cardio, but I do enough. Once training camp gets closer, I’ll increase it (workouts) more.” Favre said that he threw the ball better with each of the seven OTA practices that he has participated in the past few weeks. “I didn’t come away from one practice thinking I’ve got a ways to go,” Favre said. “I came away with the thought after each practice of, ‘That was good, physically and mentally.’ I got out of it what I wanted to get out of it. I wasn’t going to the Pro Bowl after any of these practices, but I got a lot out of it.”

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070614/PKR01/70614216/1989

Favre sits out practice, but wants to get moving

Brett Favre always has liked playing quarterback on the move and wants to do more of it this season than last year. To that end, he’s again working this offseason with Phoenix-based personal trainer Ken Kroener on a core- and quarterback-oriented conditioning program. He’s also talked with coach Mike McCarthy about calling more movement plays for the Green Bay Packers this season. “We didn’t do enough of it, in my opinion, movement stuff, move me around,” Favre said Thursday after the Packers’ organized team activities practice. “I think that’s what I do best. Mike -- we’ve talked about it numerous occasions, he’s going to go to it, so I have to be ready for that. I get tired a lot quicker now than I used to. So, after a play, I have to be able to regroup and move on to the next play.”

McCarthy said some unidentified concerns prevented him from putting Favre on the move more last year. McCarthy might have wanted to keep things as simple as possible for his three rookie offensive linemen who played regularly in 2006, and he also might have worried about Favre’s mobility because of the sore left ankle he played on most of last season. However, McCarthy appears inclined to use more of the movement-type plays this year even though the 37-year-old Favre is well past his prime as a runner. “I think he’s still a very effective player when he is on the move,” McCarthy said Thursday. “And frankly, the people that know him fairly well, the people who have competed against him from a defensive standpoint, a number of them play with a wider (defensive) end, rush the ends up the field, try to take that away from him.”

Favre didn’t practice Wednesday or Thursday this week because of soreness in his throwing shoulder, which he said probably is tendinitis. As McCarthy planned heading into the offseason, Favre was with the team for nine of the 12 voluntary OTAs -- he participated in all meetings on those days and seven practices but missed the final two on-field workouts because of his shoulder. “I found out with my elbow (in 2000) that tendinitis, several years back, I just kept on throwing and it almost cost me the opening-day start,” Favre said. “I’ll probably take a week off and see how it feels and then start gradually throwing and get back into it....”

http://www.packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=editpost&p=161230

On the shelf. Favre pulled from Packers' OTAs with sore shoulder

Brett Favre won't be doing any heavy throwing again for a while. Swinging a softball bat also might pose a challenge. The Green Bay Packers quarterback said Thursday that he has a sore right shoulder -- his throwing shoulder -- which prematurely ended his participation in the organized team activities. "I probably could practice, but it really don't make a lot of sense to go out and make it any worse," Favre said. "I think it's probably just tendinitis or something like that." The team held Favre out of practice Wednesday and Thursday. Coach Mike McCarthy said the medical staff doesn't consider the injury to be serious.

Favre, however, won't be on the field next Monday and Tuesday, when the Packers conclude their workouts. That means Favre will have been on the field for seven of the 12 organizied-team-activity practices, which have been spread out over three weeks. He also was held out of the first workout May 30. Despite the physical setback, McCarthy was pleased with Favre's work both on and off the field as the team turns its sights to the start of training camp in late July. "The biggest thing we got out of Brett being here No. 1 is to be around the younger guys (and) doing the adjustments we've made in our scheme getting ready for the season," McCarthy said. "I was late for practice today because I was with Brett going through some of the red-zone and third-down adjustments that we've made, just finalizing that and making sure were on the same page."

Favre will remain in the area through the weekend. His annual celebrity softball game, which pits the Packers offense against the defense, is Sunday outside of Appleton. Favre typically plays shortstop in the game, which raises money for the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, but he said Thursday that he would probably be limited to being a designated hitter. "I don't even know if that's the smart thing to do," Favre said. After he returns home to Mississippi following the game, Favre said he would ease back into throwing a football in the six weeks leading up to training camp. "Last year, I threw at my daughter's high school, with some of the kids there. I expect to do that again," he said. "I had a lot of fun doing it. Plus, it helped me out a great deal...." "I feel good. I've taken better care of myself, not great, but better care of myself," Favre said. "I have to admit I kind of eat what I want, I just don't eat a lot of it. I don't kill myself in the weight room or (doing) cardio, but I do enough, and as training camp gets closer, increase it a little bit more."

NOTES: CB Charles Woodson rejoined the team Monday for the OTA practices this week. Woodson had said last month at the team's mandatory minicamp that he wouldn't be returning for the voluntary workouts. What changed? "I told Coach (McCarthy) I would come back," Woodson said. "So, I'm just trying to keep my word. I'm here." Woodson, though, said Thursday that he would be leaving Green Bay on Friday morning and miss the final two practices next week. He plans to resume working out on his own in Houston. Woodson's starting mate at cornerback, Al Harris, was a no-show Thursday after arriving late for the OTAs last week. Also absent from practice Thursday were WR Donald Driver and LB Nick Barnett. ... DT Corey Williams practiced this week after being away the first two weeks of the OTAs for personal reasons. ... Notable players who returned from injuries were WR Robert Ferguson, OT Chad Clifton and RB Brandon Jackson, the team's second-round draft pick this year. ... DE Aaron Kampman (knee), WR Greg Jennings (hip) and CB Will Blackmon (groin) remain out. DT Justin Harrell, the team's first-round draft pick, has yet to be cleared for team drills in practice. Harrell suffered a ruptured biceps tendon early last season at Tennessee.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OTA: THURSDAY

Fergie is healthy, lets see if he can stay healthy for 16 games. Could a healthy Fergie challenge GJ for #2?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fergie is healthy, lets see if he can stay healthy for 16 games. Could a healthy Fergie challenge GJ for #2?

No. While Fergie is a beast physically, GJ has intangibles that Fergie doesn't. Plus, Jennings can take a short slant and get a TD out of it, Fergie can't. Jennings is much better in the open field, and when he's healthy, you'll see just how good he is, especially since he'll be one year wiser. I can't wait to see a healthy Jennings. This year is going to be awesome.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA HIGHLIGHTS

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

OTA highlights

Receiver Shaun Bodiford had some rough moments on Thursday. He was knocked to the ground in the end zone by safety Tyrone Culver on an incomplete pass from Aaron Rodgers in a 7-on-7 drill. Bodiford also dropped a pass from Rodgers. Cornerback Jarrett Bush produced a juggling, leaping interception on an underthrown Ingle Martin pass in a 7-on-7 drill. The offense worked on Hail Mary passes, with Rodgers and Martin heaving up 50-yard bombs into the end zone. None of the desperation passes was completed.

The kickoff return job appears to be wde open. Working on that specialty were running backs Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron, P.J. Pope and DeShawn Wynn, plus receivers Bodiford, David Clowney and James Jones.

Charles Woodson broke up a Rodgers slant pass to Robert Ferguson in tight coverage in 7-on-7 drills. Members of the offense were looking for a penalty flag for interference, but no call was made. Linebacker Spencer Havner, a first-year free agent, made a nice play breaking up a short Rodgers pass intended for Bubba Franks. Rodgers later completed a touchdown pass to Franks in a red zone drill with Havner in coverage.

Safety Charlie Peprah intercepted a pass in the end zone after linebacker Desmond Bishop tipped a Martin pass. But a penalty flag was thrown, presumably for interference on Bishop. Practice was completed in 1 hour, 50 minutes, which was approximately 25 minutes shorter than the open OTA session last Thursday. Unofficial passing statistics went as follows: Aaron Rodgers completed 6 of 8 in the team 11-on-11 drill, 2 of 6 in the 7-on-7; and 1 of 4 in the red zone. Ingle Martin's stats: 4 of 7 in team; 2 of 4 in 7-on-7; and 1 of 2 in the red zone. Paul Thompson was 1 of 1 in the 7-on-7 and 0 for 1 in the red zone. Jerry Babb was 1 for 1 in the 7-on-7 and 0 for 1 in the red zone.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA PICS

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photog...e=JPG&Source=Thumbnail&catid=641&PageNumber=0

Receiver Robert Ferguson discusses a play with coach Mike McCarthy

Fullback Korey Hall catches a short pass Thursday

WR James Jones pulls in a pass during the Green Bay Packers'
organized team activities

Wide receiver Carlyle Holiday hauls in a pass at Ray Nitschke Field
in Green Bay

Safety Marquand Manuel, left, gets a laugh with Charles Woodson
at Ray Nitschke Field

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA NOTES

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=620149

[align=center]Notes[/align]

Favre bothered by sore shoulder. QB is cautious, but not concerned: Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre has missed the last two practices with a sore shoulder, but the veteran entering his 17th season doesn't think the injury is serious. I probably could practice but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go out and make it worse," Favre said Thursday at a news conference inside Lambeau Field. "I found out with my elbow and tendinitis several years back. I kept throwing and it almost cost me the opening-day start. So I will probably take a week off and see how it feels, and start gradually throwing to get back into it." Coach Mike McCarthy was not alarmed, either. "(Team physician) Pat McKenzie is not concerned about it, so I'm not concerned about it," McCarthy said. Favre's ankle, meanwhile, has been fairly healthy aside from the expected soreness. He had surgery on the ankle after the end of the season. Favre participated in nine of the 12 practices that McCarthy scheduled him for, practicing in seven sessions overall.

Ferguson back: Receiver Robert Ferguson has been able to practice with the team all week after coming off a foot injury that sidelined him for most of last season. The fact that the Packers are giving Ferguson a look and a chance to do some team work is promising to the seven-year veteran. "I've been playing every position we have in the book, which is new," Ferguson said. "Since I have been here I have been primarily the 'X.' " He also continues to embrace his role as the written-off player. "If it is up to me, I am definitely going to be here this season," Ferguson said.

Actions speak louder than words: Despite 10-year veteran Charles Woodson's grousing about being in Green Bay in June for a voluntary workout, he was here all week. He didn't attend these practices last year. Coaches have noticed that he's in excellent off-season shape: Woodson works out every day for 2 to 2½ hours. He'd prefer to work alone this time of year but decided to keep a promise. "I just told the coaches I would be here. I'm here, that's that," Woodson said. He joked that he and fellow cornerback Al Harris conferred beforehand and worked out their schedules so that at least one of them would be here to appease the coaching staff. Harris wasn't at practice Thursday.

Final word on Barry: General manager Ted Thompson released offensive lineman Kevin Barry late last week, and he said the move was made in part because it gave Barry a chance to find another team this summer. "Kevin's a good guy and he's done a great job here. It's just that we just felt, with the number of young offensive linemen that we had, that maybe it was going to be tough for Kevin," Thompson said. "We knew there were two or three teams that were pretty interested in maybe taking a look at him, and this way, it gives him an opportunity to maybe lock on with someone else." When asked if it was clear that Barry was a run blocker and not a zone blocker, Thompson sort of laughed. "We're not (going to) get into that," Thompson said. "It's just we felt we had a number of other guys that we wanted to take a look at and certainly Kevin is going to go somewhere, and we wish him well."

No change likely: When rookie running back Brandon Jackson was unable to attend the team's minicamp in May because the National Football League and the NFL Players Association required him to attend photo and promotional shoots in Los Angeles instead, many fans criticized the league for having backward priorities. Jackson is in the running for a starting job with the Packers, and the missed time could have set him back. But the NFL considers Jackson's dilemma an isolated case, and it doesn't sound as if it will make any changes, such as making the trading card event optional for players. "It's an annual event and we sent a note to the clubs notifying (them) when the event was taking place, and that the players should attend it," said Brian McCarthy, director of corporate communications for the NFL. "Teams are notified well in advance of when that (event) is and, evidently, the Packers were unable to schedule the one minicamp around it." Asked if the league office has debated Jackson's case and if it might consider making exceptions in the future, Brian McCarthy responded: "It was one player in 12 years that we weren't able to accommodate. It was unfortunate, but the team has moved on and so has the player, and that was pretty much the end of it."

Father's Day with No. 4: Favre said it was possible he might pitch and play Sunday in his Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game, despite the possible consequences for his sore shoulder. "I don't even know if that's a smart thing to do," Favre said. The fund-raising event, which has raised more than $1 million to help disadvantaged or disabled children in Wisconsin and Favre's home state of Mississippi, will take place at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute, near Appleton. As of Thursday afternoon, the game was not yet sold out; some $10 general admission seats remain available. For more information, call the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' ticket office at (800) WI-TIMBER or (920) 733-4152.

Roll call: No. 2 receiver Greg Jennings did not practice Thursday because of a hip flexor injury. Backup cornerback Will Blackmon has missed the last six days with a groin injury that McCarthy did not think was serious. No. 1 receiver Donald Driver, linebacker Nick Barnett and Harris were apparently excused.

Family night tickets: The Packers will begin selling their Family Night tickets for $8 each starting at 10 a.m. Saturday. They can be purchased by calling (920) 494-3401 or (800) 895-0071 or by logging on to www.packers.com.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dhpackr said:

No. While Fergie is a beast physically, GJ has intangibles that Fergie doesn't. Plus, Jennings can take a short slant and get a TD out of it, Fergie can't. Jennings is much better in the open field, and when he's healthy, you'll see just how good he is, especially since he'll be one year wiser. I can't wait to see a healthy Jennings. This year is going to be awesome.

I hope so.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA Notebook: Special teams improvement

http://packers.scout.com/2/651837.html

Packers OTA notebook ...Special teams a priority

...The Packers seem determined to improve their special teams units this season. Green Bay has ranked near the bottom of the league in various categories over the last couple of seasons. The Packers spent about 10 to 15 minutes on kickoff returns in practice today, and have paid more attention to the punt and kickoff units throughout this off-season. “I treat it just like I do offense and defense,” said McCarthy. “I make sure Mike has his 30 minutes every day to meet and he has his three periods during practice. You can't balance it with offense and defense, but we make sure he has the appropriate time to get everything taught, has the fundamentals, time for fundamentals, to get that taught, in situations. Everything I do from a practice environment the focus is on fundamentals and situations. That's prominent in everything we do, and I make sure Mike has the time to get that done.”

McCarthy feels that the Packers have the type of players that will help special teams get better. “I think we have the size, the combination of size, speed and athletic ability you're looking for, and that's something you're always striving for as far as personnel matchups,” said McCarthy. “So I think we've definitely improved in that area. The understanding schematically, we're very much-improved there. I thought we started the season very slow, tentative to a point. We've talked about the youth of our football team, I thought it was highlighted in our special teams, the inexperience specifically in some of the areas. So from that part of it, I think we've had a lot of improvement, so I'm excited about that. “And once again, special teams is a big part of it, just part of our game period, is mindset, attitude, approach, and that's something I think we'll see taken to the next level when we get to preseason.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PICS

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/photo_galleries/2007_nongame/2007-06-14/#

Justin Harrell

David Clowney & Junius Coston

Zac Alcorn

Brady Poppinga

Aaron Rouse

Tracy White

Tory Humphrey

Aaron Rodgers & Ted Thompson

Larry Birdine

Colin Cole

Charles Woodsen

Greg Jennings

Vernand Morency

Juwan Simpson

Aaron Kampman & Justin Harrell

James Jones

Ryan Pickett

A.J. Hawk

Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Dendy

Offensive Line

Jarrett Bush

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA: FAN BLOG VIEW

http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/

Favre Sore, Fullback Trials, OTAs Continue.

As the optional organized team activities continue in Green Bay, the biggest news to report is that QB Brett Favre sat out yesterday's practice with a sore throwing shoulder. That news came from Brett himself who spoke with the media. He indicated that he thought it was probably tendinitis. He also said he learned his lesson a few years ago when he had a sore elbow, kept throwing anyway, and almost missed his start because of it. With age comes wisdom, Brett! Now, rest. The other news from yesterday was that Brett was actually late for the first practice session. He had a good excuse, though: Coach Mike McCarthy was reviewing new plays with him and must have lost track of the time...or just decided it was important enough to do that review, especially since he knew Brett would be sitting out anyway. McCarthy told the media that he didn't think he used Brett as well as he could have last year, indicating that generating more movement in the pocket was something he probably should have done, and would be doing this year. So look for plays that are designed to move Brett around...intentionally...we all know that he can do that very well on his own. Now they are going to apparently design these schemes to utilize Brett's ability to make plays on the move. Given the changes and questions about the backfield, that's probably a good thing.

Speaking of backfield, we all know that the solid and long-time combination of William Henderson opening holes for Ahman Green is gone, Green to Houston and Henderson to retirement. While much of the focus has been on who will replace Green, no less important is who will replace Henderson, a player renowned for his work ethic and reliability. Brandon Miree was the newcomer last year who unseated Henderson until an elbow injury returned the starting job to Henderson. Miree was solid, if not spectacular. Now a third-year pro, Miree has the advantage of working in a zone blocking scheme his entire pro career, first with Denver and last year with the Packers. Other candidates are playing catch up in that effort, and all are rookies. Korey Hall, whom the Packers are trying to convert from linebacker, is one of the possibilities. He was a special teams demon at Boise State and the Packers are having him practice with all those units as well. Combine that with having to learn a new position, a new stance, etc., and Hall has his work cut out for him. But according to reports, the Packers like what they see from him so far. Other candidates include draftee Ryan Powdrell, who was rotating in the second- and third-string offense, and free-agent signee Corey White.

Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game: If you aren't doing anything special this Sunday -- Father's Day -- and just happen to be in the neighborhood of Appleton, WI, drop in at Fox Cities Stadium for the Eighth Annual Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game. It starts at high noon. As noted on the official site, "The event will feature Brett Favre and members of the Green Bay Packers. The annual game traditionally matches the Packers offense against the Packers defense. All proceeds will benefit the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, whose mission is to provide aid to disadvantaged or disabled children residing in Wisconsin and Mississippi." This is one of the major fundraising events for Brett's foundation. And, as retirement looms, you wonder how many more of these events there will be, particularly in Wisconsin once Brett retires back to Mississippi. Take advantage of these opportunities if you can.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: OTA: FAN BLOG VIEW

This is one of the major fundraising events for Brett's foundation. And, as retirement looms, you wonder how many more of these events there will be, particularly in Wisconsin once Brett retires back to Mississippi. Take advantage of these opportunities if you can.

I have heard it will keep going, in fact it might be passed on to his oldest daughter

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's my Dendy Report, Tophat?

I demand a Patrick Dendy report...DAILY...no, no...HOURLY!

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA FAN REPORT

http://www.mytvisonfire.com/packersnation/

I attended the Packers public OTA yesterday and this is what I saw. Jarret Bush had an amazing practice. He had two interceptions and covered well. David Clowney looks like he will be a great returner and speed receiver. He is one of the fastest players I have seen. At this point he looks like our best returner. Brandon Jackson looks like he will become a great running back. He is quick and seems to be good with his cuts and finding holes. One thing I noticed was that he is really small. It looked like he was the smallest player on the field. He is really short as well. (I am bigger than he is). Carlyle Holiday had a nice day with several good catches.

I didn’t see much of the defense (they practiced on the other side of the field) but it looked like they were in good shape. The secondary (even the backups) were great in coverage.

James Jones continues to shine. He caught every pass that came to him. He was also faster than I anticipated. He looks like he has a good shot at the #3 receiver spot. His returning skills aren’t that good though.

DeShawn Wynn appeared to be a lot faster than I thought. He looks like he might be an overall good back.

Aaron Rodgers was the starter at the practice. He appeared to have more zip to his throws.

The kickers and punters didn’t have much to do in the practice so they mostly stood on the sidelines and talked to the fans about their golf plans after the practice. Dave Rayner seemed like a nice guy and was the most talkative. Mason Crosby appeared to be shy and talked the least. On the field the kickers and punter got to practice kickoffs and punts. Mason seems to be able to kick the ball on average 5 yards further than Rayner.
Everyone has commented on how huge Harrell is.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OTA FAN REPORT

http://www.mytvisonfire.com/packersnation/

David Clowney looks like he will be a great returner and speed receiver. He is one of the fastest players I have seen. At this point he looks like our best returner.

That's good to hear. We need a KR/PR badly. I remember the '03 season watching the difference Hall made in a game. Imagine starting ten yards farther on average. Would do wonders for morale as well.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OTA FAN REPORT

Great pictures, Tophat! I appreciate it a lot. We've got some young stars just waiting to break out. It will be exciting once we get this darn season going. Every year the off-season gets longer. Players like Clowney, Jones, Harrell, and Hall(I've got to get his name out every chance I get) will lead the rooks on this team. I can't wait to see Rouse level a bunch of our opponents this year. TT sure knows how to pick 'em!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts