Opinion VS Fact

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't mind a good conversation or debate, when it comes to differing opinions, but I am tired of some posters not understanding what an opinion is and how it differs from a factual statement.

Do we need to add "In My Opinion" (IMO) before or after every statement that we make, that is just that, an opinion?

Or do we leave it up to the reader to understand what a fact is and what an opinion is?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and we're just as tired of some who don't understand how to present an opinion vs a statement of fact and then get upset when someone calls them on it. It's easy. "Rodgers would love to win a Super Bowl, but do you know what else I think he'd love even more...

VS

I think Rodgers would love to win a Super Bowl, but do you know what he would love even more? To win one on another team.

One is a statement of opinion, one is passing an opinion off as a statement of fact. Subtle, yet meaningful. It's called syntax, and it is important when conveying meaning with the written word.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aha, multiple cans of worms. What is 'the fact' above - that AR wants to win another SB? If that's the case, why bother taking up the space to say so? And, when people ask for links/quotes, that presupposes that we believe what the individual/organization says, and I put most of them in the same category as politicians and used car salespeople.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Aha, multiple cans of worms. What is 'the fact' above - that AR wants to win another SB? If that's the case, why bother taking up the space to say so? And, when people ask for links/quotes, that presupposes that we believe what the individual/organization says, and I put most of them in the same category as politicians and used car salespeople.
My point was this. An internet forum is a place where people can exchange ideas on topics of interest. Its members can post discussions and read and respond to messages written by other participants. People can post articles that can be both factual and opinion pieces or a combination of the 2.

People that cannot separate statements of opinion VS statement of facts are either really daft or just get off on trying to poke the bear, as well as always be right. Anytime I have to remind a poster that a statement I made was in fact, just mine or someone else's opinion, a kitten dies somewhere. Oh and that was SARCASM, not a fact, for those who don't know the difference of those 2 things either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably right...

pretty much every single player since the advent of the Super Bowl has told us their ultimate goal is to win the championship. It wouldn't even be hyperbole to say, I don't think a single player has ever said that they would not want to win one. But leave it to this board, someone, somewhere likely believes Rodgers would love an MVP and not a Super Bowl.
But no, that wasn't the statement of fact. none of it was. that was kind of the point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was this. An internet forum is a place where people can exchange ideas on topics of interest. Its members can post discussions and read and respond to messages written by other participants. People can post articles that can be both factual and opinion pieces or a combination of the 2.

People that cannot separate statements of opinion VS statement of facts are either really daft or just get off on trying to poke the bear, as well as always be right. Anytime I have to remind a poster that a statement I made was in fact, just mine or someone else's opinion, a kitten dies somewhere. Oh and that was SARCASM, not a fact, for those who don't know the difference of those 2 things either.
oh, the Irony LOL

Members online

Latest posts