Onion: Ben Roethlisberger One Win Away From Being Good Person

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Cowboys Nate Newton as well. Got a radio gig now after getting out of prison. He said it on air, if I didn't have the football connection and was just an average guy, there is no way anybody would give me another chance.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboys Nate Newton as well. Got a radio gig now after getting out of prison. He said it on air, if I didn't have the football connection and was just an average guy, there is no way anybody would give me another chance.
Cool that he's being honest.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I remember watching that last night on Comedy Central and thinking "I know it's supposed to be funny, but it's so damn true." :icon_lol:

OP
OP
cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if folks like Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, O.J. Simpson, the Unabomber, and Saddam Hussein suddenly become football players and each win the Superbowl, we'll all magically forget their crimes against humanity and have ESPN deem winning a championship of an escapist sport their "redemption", instead of, you know, donating funds to curing cancer or AIDS or feeding starving children in Africa or some meaningless drivel.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Maybe if folks like Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, O.J. Simpson, the Unabomber, and Saddam Hussein suddenly become football players and each win the Superbowl, we'll all magically forget their crimes against humanity and have ESPN deem winning a championship of an escapist sport their "redemption", instead of, you know, donating funds to curing cancer or AIDS or feeding starving children in Africa or some meaningless drivel.

O.J. Simpson is an excellent example of this phenomenon, actually. Proof positive an NFL star can get away with quite a lot and still be absolved by a segment of the population. I personally know someone who doesn't believe O.J. killed his wife and Ron Goldman, and there is no reasoning with him at all. Won't even concede the possibility.

P.S. I love The Onion. Hilarious stuff.

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a sad but true statement about our society. We do forgive a lot if the person is famous. I do think there is a big difference between people like Vick and Leonard Little versus Kobe and Big Ben. In the first case these people were convicted. With the other two it is all innuendo and media hype where we don't know what happened. I think that is a big difference between the two.

There is also the reverse. I don't think Dante Stalworth would have been convicted or even charged except he was famous. A guy runs out in the middle of the road in front of his car. Not a lot he could do.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
There is also the reverse. I don't think Dante Stalworth would have been convicted or even charged except he was famous. A guy runs out in the middle of the road in front of his car. Not a lot he could do.

Probably having alcohol in his system (iirc, he wasn't actually legally drunk, but still...) didn't help him any, either.