On Fox at the end of the game they said....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimension

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was still possible we could miss out on the playoffs even if we beat the bears, something to do with strength of victory

I can't find this confirmed anywhere and looking at it it seems wrong to me. Does anyone know?

Also if three+ teams are tied then do the four games in common have to be the same 4 for all teams or can you win a tiebreaker by having a better record against 4 common teams which are different for each team you are tied with?

packerbackerUGA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was still possible we could miss out on the playoffs even if we beat the bears, something to do with strength of schedule

I can't find this confirmed anywhere and looking at it it seems wrong to me. Does anyone know?

Also if three+ teams are tied then do the four games in common have to be the same 4 for all teams or can you win a tiebreaker by having a better record against 4 common teams which are different for each team you are tied with?

Yeah it has to do with the Strength of Victory, it would have to come down to some specific numbers for that to come in to play

OP
OP
D

dimension

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any idea where I can find exactly what needs to happen so that this would happen?

it seems to me our strength of victory is better than the giants, Saints and Bucs

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Think it was stats inc that came up with it..

Aikman said it isnt a real chance of happening

packerbackerUGA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was still possible we could miss out on the playoffs even if we beat the bears, something to do with strength of victory

any idea where I can find exactly what needs to happen so that this would happen?

it seems to me our strength of victory is better than the giants, Saints and Bucs

Here are some numbers after the 12/21 games. Not completely updated, but gives you a sense:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's patently false and was bad information.

A GB win gives us a playoff spot. That's it.

We also get in with a loss provided the Bucs and Giants lose too.

We hold head to head tie breaker over Giants and strength of victory tie breaker over the Bucs based on our beating more quality opponents than they have.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I trust guys over at Stat inc than 2 posters on a forum lol

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Buck said they would need an expert in the Pythagorean theorem (or something like that) to explain how it could not happen. The math nerd in me is really curious how it could happen despite how unlikely. Or at least what is the % of it happening.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes all the teams we beat must lose and all of the teams tampa beat must win lol also tampa must beat the saints

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Joe Buck said they would need an expert in the Pythagorean theorem (or something like that) to explain how it could not happen. The math nerd in me is really curious how it could happen despite how unlikely. Or at least what is the % of it happening.

Yup he said it

Even if it is 1000000 to one PAck win and still miss playoffs, its still a possibility

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've tried playing around with the ESPN playoff machine, having all the teams we beat lose and all the teams either New York or Tampa Bay beat win. Even then I can't get a scenario where the Packers would miss the playoffs with a win.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've tried playing around with the ESPN playoff machine, having all the teams we beat lose and all the teams either New York or Tampa Bay beat win. Even then I can't get a scenario where the Packers would miss the playoffs with a win.
I really dont think this it is possiable for us to win and not get in. I think someone was talking outa their @ss. We hold the first tiebreaker that we are not tied at and that is SOV so the only we lose is if the bucs some how win SOV but we are already so far ahead in SOV and beating the bears is just going to increase our SOV. Also the Bucs are DEAD LAST in SOV in the entire NFL #32..

Maybe that outside chance they were talking about was if the bears were to somehow buy the NFL and just not allow us into the playoffs lol

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think it was just Buck & Aikman looking at the tiebreakers and thinking that strength of victory was something so volatile that it could swing easily from one team to another. It really isn't that hard to figure out when you've got that playoff machine. For example, I played around with that machine last week long enough to figure out a scenario where the Colts could win a bye (it would have taken a combination of nearly 20 results to get strength of victory in their favor). But there aren't that many scenarios this week, and I don't think there's one that puts the Packers out as long as they win.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 2 teams that could be involved with us for a SOV tie breaker, New Orleans & Tampa...we own the tie breaker with the Giants because we beat them.

GB SOV=.429
NO SOV=.371
Tampa SOV=.286

These numbers move very little in ONE game...not to mention, NO will probably win the 5th seed based on their record.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

They were idiots to even bring it up!

felpasb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually if NO loses twice (@ATL and Vs. TB) we get the 5th seed with a win and would play Rams/Seattle. Best scenario the Packers so far

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone called into the radio after the packers game and said they heard the packers could miss the playoffs with a win next week and the host had no idea what they were talking about

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I really dont think this it is possiable for us to win and not get in. I think someone was talking outa their @ss. l

Please LISTEN

Troy and Joe said it came from STATS INC

That place would not admit to something unless they were sure..

Again its probably a 1,000,000 chance but as Joe and Troy said its still a chance

I too have tried the playoff generator, on yahoo AND espn, cant get it to show me..

Anyone EVER think teams could end in a tie? and would included POINTS scored?

Not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to figure out what STATS INC came to that conclusion

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Update: NFL now says Packers are in playoffs with win Sunday

The update says that we WIN we're IN.

The scenario where all the teams that we played lose and all teams that TB played win can't happen, because a lot of those teams play between themselves. PHI plays MN then DAL, MN plays DET, NYG plays WAS...

The are only 2 matchups with such occurence (a team that BOTH GB and TB played, against a team that didn't play them). It's ATL vs CAR and ATL vs NO. And, after doing the playoff machine, even if ATL loses both games, we're still in with a win.

So, Stats Inc. missed badly.

Here's what I used:
GB schedule: Packers.com | Season Schedule
TB schedule: Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Season Schedule
ESPN playoff machine: 2010 NFL Playoff Machine - Simulate Matchups and Scenarios - ESPN

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please LISTEN

Troy and Joe said it came from STATS INC

That place would not admit to something unless they were sure..

Again its probably a 1,000,000 chance but as Joe and Troy said its still a chance

I too have tried the playoff generator, on yahoo AND espn, cant get it to show me..

Anyone EVER think teams could end in a tie? and would included POINTS scored?

Not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to figure out what STATS INC came to that conclusion
It's not about ties LTF.

It's that everyone plays each other. Like I said, the only games that have teams that we faced playing against teams we didn't are the two I mentioned, and, even if ATL loses both, it doesn't impact.

There are no games where teams that TB faced play teams that they didn't...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
ok so now that we know for a FACT they win they in, time to lock it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts