Officiating the Packers vs 49ers Game

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I had to go to bed to work early in the morning. I got to watch the first half, but only got to see the highlights of the second half. Does anyone have footage of the Alexander roughing call? I can't find it on the interwebs. Thanks Packer Nation!

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
Feel free to complain about the refs here as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs had a night like Green Bay had in their opening game this year. At least I hope they're better than they were last night. They sucked big time. From spots, to penalties, they were off all night.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Found it

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes the refs were terrible last night! Packers did deserve to win that game! The offensive line considering the lack of experience some of them had did a pretty darn good job overall! Plus I take back all the not nice things I said about Rodgers. He really is a great quarterback and Crosby deserves kudos too along with Adams!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It was an abomination.

They gave the 49ers 35 yards on 3rd & 14 because Aiyuk fell down within Stokes' vicinity.

They gave them a 1st down after a 3 yard pass because Alexander touched Garoppolo.

They gave them a 1st down after a sack because of tripping (what the heck??).

They declined to throw a flag on the most egregious real penalty of the entire night (Adams' hit).

They called a ticky tack PI on Stokes in the endzone on a 3rd down incompletion.

They were carrying water for the 49ers all night. This game, if called straight up, would be a 37-14 romp.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was an abomination.

They gave the 49ers 35 yards on 3rd & 14 because Aiyuk fell down within Stokes' vicinity.

They gave them a 1st down after a 3 yard pass because Alexander touched Garoppolo.

They declined to throw a flag on the most egregious real penalty of the entire night (Adams' hit).

They called a ticky tack PI on Stokes in the endzone on a 3rd down incompletion.

They were carrying water for the 49ers all night. This game, if called straight up, would be a 37-14 romp.
Don’t forget the favorable spots they kept giving the niners. I’d have to go back and watch the game to find it… but there was one particular reception where the niners receiver caught the ball in the air on a 3rd down and came down a good two yards behind the line to gain and yet they gave him forward progress beyond the marker.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Don’t forget the favorable spots they kept giving the niners. I’d have to go back and watch the game to find it… but there was one particular reception where the niners receiver caught the ball in the air on a 3rd down and came down a good two yards behind the line to gain and yet they gave him forward progress beyond the marker.

Yeah that was also garbage. Also upholding Sanu's catch. They were just straight up in the bag for SF. Maybe the wonderful residents of that human-feces filled homeless village threatened to sick antifa on them or something.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
It was an abomination.

PLUS the missed intentional grounding by Garoppolo right before half. Led to an additional seven points.

PLUS the challenge on the completion call where the ball clearly hits the ground and moves around in the SF receiver’s hands.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
It was an abomination.

This had to have been the worst roughing the passer call I've ever seen. There's been some really bad one's, but Jimmy never even fell to the ground.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This had to have been the worst roughing the passer call I've ever seen. There's been some really bad one's, but Jimmy never even fell to the ground.
I’ve seen worse … how about the one against rashan Gary where he just barely brushed his hand past the Dallas QBs head affecting nothing but overturned a pick….

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
I’ve seen worse … how about the one against rashan Gary where he just barely brushed his hand past the Dallas QBs head affecting nothing but overturned a pick….
I don't remember that one.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to the ground is not a criteria in the rule for roughing the passer.

What is in the rule is making contact with the QBs head. J'aire clearly did that but I don't think anyone could argue that it was forcible.
In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects).[\quote]

J'aire put himself in a spot where it became a questionable call by the ref. He didn't have to put his arms up there by Garrapolo's head, and even though it should not have been a foul, he made it a possibility.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score

What is in the rule is making contact with the QBs head. J'aire clearly did that but I don't think anyone could argue that it was forcible.
I think he put his arms up in an effort to block the ball. Horrible call in general.

Reaction score

It’s the only borderline call they could’ve argued. The game has gotten so soft.

No consistency between that call and the Adam’s head shot. The Adam’s intentional head punishment should’ve been an ejection and post game fine (possible 1 game suspension). There’s no call for intentional spearing in this game. That leading helmet hit could’ve ended a career.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No consistency between that call and the Adam’s head shot.
I think this is the money statement. When it all gets boiled down, the league's stated goals for roughing-the-passer and defensless-receiver penalties is to improve safety. The penalty serves as a disincentive (negative punishment) for dangerous play. In this instance, the on-field judges rewarded the more dangerous player and penalized the player that avoided a dangerous play. Clearly incentive and disincentive are backward.

Now the league's off-field judges have an opportunity to rectify the on-field errors. As usual, we will wait and see if the media can claw a response out of the league office.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts