Official studs and duds Eagle game

D

Deleted member 6794

Great game by the offense and defense. The special teams had a return for a TD and were able to contain the Eagles return game. Two missed extra points in an NFL game is odd, can´t remember ever seeing something like that. We have to improve the blocking on punts, a block one could cost us a close game at some point.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team is looking like the one that squeaked into the playoffs after an ugly loss in Detroit and plowed its way to the Championship in 2010. Excellent offensive line and defensive front 7 play remain the keys, in addition to the best QB in football. Here's hoping it continues.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Studs:
O-line
, for keeping Aaron upright all game long. Not an easy task versus Philly.

Lacy, for that TD run. Highlight film quality.

Rodgers, for being himself. MVP. MVP. MVP.

Nelson. The league keeps disrespecting him, and he keeps laughing all the way to the end zone.

Cobb. He's going to be rich soon. I hope it's with Packer dollars.

Peppers, for the Pick-6, his second of the year. Had a quiet game otherwise, but he not only continues to make big plays, but it's awesome to get a guy like this from the Bears trash heap. Double bonus, in my book.

Hyde. Loved this guy from the start. Great to see him producing at this level. Made some nice plays on D. Also, his TD return hopefully cements his role as punt and KO returner (with D. Harris). In other words-- no Cobb on returns-- he needs to be preserved for the offense.

L. Guion. A castoff from the Vikings. Who-da-thunk? He is filling a giant hole on the team reasonably well. Not great, but maybe just good enough to get by.

Matthews. Not as many tackles as last week, but was all over the place. Brings energy to the whole team.

Capers. His D kept a very good offense to 6 points, before the 2nd team came in.

Duds:
FOX
, for moving over to the Lions-Cards game in the 3rd quarter for all us out-of-staters. I don't give a damn about any other game. I don't care of the Packers are winning or losing by 200 points. I want to watch the Packers. I get very grumpy otherwise.

Aikman. Anti-Packer announcer. Only had to listen to his drivel for three quarters, though, due to the item listed above.

Questions:
  1. Why is Starks so limited in playing time recently? Is he in MM's dog house?
  2. Any injuries? I didn't notice any, except that I saw Matthews limping a little...

Sky King

Reaction score
I heard Aikman specifically praise the City of Green Bay and it's citzens, Lambeau Field, the Packers organization, Bart Starr, current players, and even Kroll's. I must have missed something. What did he say that was anti-Packer?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta be kidding me guys! The unit ranks in the bottom half year after year and yet somehow the old "it's the players" argument surfaces. Players come and go in today's NFL and as my original post stated the one constant in this equation is Coach Slocum. This is no one game overreaction as this man's units have a track record of below average performance. This team can be special and I am simply saying that I hope the ST unit doesn't cost us in a big spot. I am thrilled with how this team is playing and you can tell from my posts that I am usually a half full kind of guy. Yes, there were some positive, explosive plays yesterday but there were also some gaffs and I am done making excuses for Slocum unlike some it seems. Also, there was not too much to complain about from the performance so maybe in retrospect I was a touch harsh on SS but as I keep saying I am done making excuses for his units performance. Below are the units NFL rank each year since SS has been running things to justify my frustration. I also want to reiterate my belief that there is more than enough talent to field a top level unit opposed to middle of the road or pedestrian.

NFL Special Teams Rankings:
2014: 15th
2013: 19th
2012: 18th
2011: 8th (anomaly)
2010: 26th
2009: 32nd

Since SS has been running this unit we have averaged finishing each year with the 19.6 ranked unit and I just don't think that's good enough. Like I said maybe my rant was a tad much but the facts are the facts and I think it is time to get some new blood in that position and I feel comfortable the evidence supports my belief. GPG!

D

Deleted member 6794

You gotta be kidding me guys! The unit ranks in the bottom half year after year and yet somehow the old "it's the players" argument surfaces. Players come and go in today's NFL and as my original post stated the one constant in this equation is Coach Slocum. This is no one game overreaction as this man's units have a track record of below average performance. This team can be special and I am simply saying that I hope the ST unit doesn't cost us in a big spot. I am thrilled with how this team is playing and you can tell from my posts that I am usually a half full kind of guy. Yes, there were some positive, explosive plays yesterday but there were also some gaffs and I am done making excuses for Slocum unlike some it seems. Also, there was not too much to complain about from the performance so maybe in retrospect I was a touch harsh on SS but as I keep saying I am done making excuses for his units performance. Below are the units NFL rank each year since SS has been running things to justify my frustration. I also want to reiterate my belief that there is more than enough talent to field a top level unit opposed to middle of the road or pedestrian.

Since SS has been running this unit we have averaged finishing each year with the 19.6 ranked unit and I just don't think that's good enough. Like I said maybe my rant was a tad much but the facts are the facts and I think it is time to get some new blood in that position and I feel comfortable the evidence supports my belief. GPG!

The Packers have been one of the most injured teams in three of the last four seasons before this one and special teams have suffered a lot because of it, having to play guys who shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been one of the most injured teams in three of the last four seasons before this one and special teams have suffered a lot because of it, having to play guys who shouldn't be on an NFL roster.
We will just agree to disagree on Slocum. I think we can get a lot better and believe a coaching change would be a good start. Bottom line is we both just want our team to win and that we CAN agree on. Like I said maybe I went too far with my original post. I was still "high" from the Eagles drubbing and may have been a touch too harsh on Coach S but that doesn't change the fact I still think it's time for him to go. I like a lot of what you write and you seem to be very knowledgeable and level headed. I am curious to know what you think this current teams biggest "must fix" issue is and the best way to remedy it? Thanks man and always, GPG!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think another Dud is D. Harris on kick returns. That guys awful at it. And just looks slow getting out of the end zone. Doesn't seem to attack the holes

D

Deleted member 6794

I am curious to know what you think this current teams biggest "must fix" issue is and the best way to remedy it? Thanks man and always, GPG!

The team has been playing great coming out of the bye week so far and it´s pretty obvious moving Matthews inside has helped the run defense tremendously.

My biggest concern at the moment is that the defense hasn´t been able to contain a top QB over the last few seasons. The Patriots and Tom Brady will be a huge test with the most important things being able to apply constant pressure on him without having to blitz and stopping the run with only seven guys in the box. I´m still not convinced the current defense is capable of doing that vs. an offense like that.

Other things I´m concerned about is the run blocking by the OL, not having a proven backup there, the production of the TEs and special team breakdowns late in games.

I like a lot of what you write and you seem to be very knowledgeable and level headed.

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy reading your posts as well.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs: the entire green bay franchise this week lol
duds: Fox 5 for cutting my team off at 3rd qtr and putting the cardinals game on, not only that i have direct tv nil package and i couldn't watch my packers play on there neither do to fox 5 having the rights. I like to see my packers games in full idc if we beating a team buy 100 points. GOPACKGO

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Peppers, for the Pick-6, his second of the year. Had a quiet game otherwise, but he not only continues to make big plays, but it's awesome to get a guy like this from the Bears trash heap. Double bonus, in my book.
Not that quiet. According to McGinn, “He led the team with four pressures; on the last, he power-rushed Johnson deep into the pocket before raising an arm to obscure Sanchez' vision on the lollipop that Tramon Williams picked.” http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-eagles-b99392094z1-283016051.html
Duds: FOX, for moving over to the Lions-Cards game in the 3rd quarter for all us out-of-staters. I don't give a damn about any other game. I don't care of the Packers are winning or losing by 200 points. I want to watch the Packers. I get very grumpy otherwise.
OR Duds: All the Packers fans living outside the state of Wisconsin – bring your tax dollars fandom to Wisconsin and you won’t have this problem! ;)
Aikman. Anti-Packer announcer. Only had to listen to his drivel for three quarters, though, due to the item listed above.
I disagree. I've only re-watched the first half but so far I haven’t heard anything that can fairly be called anti-Packer. I didn’t have any questions about the Guion hit being helmet to helmet and while Aikman properly pointed it out, he also said he disagreed with the rule. He also provides effusive praise for Rodgers.
Rick Gosselin has done STs rankings for years and I believe he’s pretty well respected. He has the Packers ranked 13th in 2011, 12th in 2012, and 20th in 2013. That’d be two of the previous three seasons in the top half of the league. (But I don’t know what the difference is between the rankings you list and Gosselin’s.) I was happy to see the performance of the coverage teams against the highly ranked Eagles team and surprised to see Hyde’s PR for a TD against them. Obviously two missed extra points and a blocked punt earn the Dud rating but it wasn’t all negative. BTW, while I agree with captainWIMM’s point about injuries but I wouldn’t be upset if Slocum were replaced after the season. I don’t expect it but the position could be upgraded IMO.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
...Duds: All the Packers fans living outside the state of Wisconsin – bring your tax dollars fandom to Wisconsin and you won’t have this problem! ;).

Not everyone can live in God's country!

... I disagree. I've only re-watched the first half but so far I haven’t heard anything that can fairly be called anti-Packer.

Fair enough. I guess I am tilted against broadcasters who were players from other teams. I mean, a Cowboy is a Cowboy, no? Next time I hear Aikman announce a game, I will try not to start off by assuming he is anti-Packer and see if I hear it differently.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team has been playing great coming out of the bye week so far and it´s pretty obvious moving Matthews inside has helped the run defense tremendously.

My biggest concern at the moment is that the defense hasn´t been able to contain a top QB over the last few seasons. The Patriots and Tom Brady will be a huge test with the most important things being able to apply constant pressure on him without having to blitz and stopping the run with only seven guys in the box. I´m still not convinced the current defense is capable of doing that vs. an offense like that.

Other things I´m concerned about is the run blocking by the OL, not having a proven backup there, the production of the TEs and special team breakdowns late in games.

Sorry for the delayed response as me, the wife and the urchin were hit with the plague the last few days! All better and ready to talk Pack!

First, I completely agree with your upper echelon QB comment. If we didn't have such proven veteran leadership and team continuity I would actually be concerned about us overlooking the Vik's this week in anticipation of "The Other 12" coming to town next Sunday. This is a BIG game for us this week and I expect us to show up and take care of bidness. Back to the QB though as I do fear this is something that could hurt us come PO time. Time and time again you see that almost every PO team that makes a decent run is lead by a good to great QB. Today's NFL almost demands high level play from that position and I hope we are able to rise to the occasion. Matthews to the middle will hopefully continue to stymie the run and allow us to keep teams in favorable down and distance situations. I feel the 2 best ways to slow a great QB are #1 and most obvious, a good pash rush. Not a pass rush with the house being brought but a solid pass rush from the front 4 and some others via blitz on calculated plays. The other goes back to my down and distance point. Keeping teams in obvious passing downs will allow us to be more prepared from both a personnel and scheme standpoint. If we are consistently allowing teams like the Pats to be in 3rd and short the entire playbook is still available to them and Dom and the boys will have a lot more to consider on said plays. Slow the rush and get to the QB. These are my keys to slowing elite level throwers.

I have been pretty happy with the run game of late and love the fact that the screen game seems to have been revived! I am with you on the depth concern however and I HATE being so thin at this so very crucial position. Have you or anyone else reading this heard anything about Tretter and whether or not he looks to be "game ready" or as much GM as a guy who's never played before can be? Man I sure would love if Mr. Barclay were still healthy as I just love the fire and flexibility he brought to the OL. As they say he's not walking back through that door so next man up I suppose! Here's to hoping everyone can stay relatively healthy and that J-Sit and Lang can continue to man up and play through their respective injuries.

I am calling a better game than most expect this week but I still see the Good Guys winning somewhat easily with a final score of 38-20. GPG!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts