Official Game Day Thread: Green Bay Packers @ Carolina - 9/18: Win 30 - 23

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We need to average about 37 points per game from here on out to break the record, and about 33-34 points to be considered better than the "Greatest Show on Turf".

DOABLE!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Even as a 2-14 team last year we didn't give up 40+. Mid 30's should be pretty easy though.
Welcome, Happy Panther.

Your guys are going through a transitional season. New coach...probably a new system. It's going to be tough to watch as a Panthers' fan -- been there. One thing is for sure though, Panthers fans could be the nicest group of fans that I've come in contact with going back to the '96 NFC Championship Game. Just a great group of folks I met that weekend in Green Bay.

Gotta tell ya, back in '08 (maybe)...the Panthers were in Green Bay and there was a guy sitting in the seat in front of my son, me and two of his buddies. He was a solitary guy...all bundled up in maybe 30-degree weather (which is balmy for a November game). Didn't say much...just sat there and froze. As I recall it was one of those games where the Pack seemed to be hell-bent on giving it away and ultimately did - a gift from our special teams and our defense to the Panthers...and once the Panthers scored to get the win, the guy came to life...took off his coat and produced a stuffed Panther -- talk about your "Dead coming to life". Throughout the game, he gave NO indication he was a Panther's fan until the bitter end.

That was my cue to start baggin' on him. If he had been sitting there with his Panthers' jersey on the whole game it would have been different...but....he set himself up for the "fair weather fan" schtick. Couldn't resist...invited him back to the parking lot for some post game beer and brats and gave him a lift back to his hotel afterward...thing is...the guy came up from North Carolina alone...on the hopes of scoring a ticket...THAT is a Panthers fan.

Happy Panther

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's cool, thanks for the note. We are all expecting a 3-13 season with the hope that the team comes together at the end of the season.

We are a friendly fan base but part of it is many fans aren't true fans yet. So many of the guys I tailgate with are Panthers and Bills, or Panthers and Steelers or Panthers and Packer fans. These guys will wear a panthers Jersey and a bills hat or some such nonsense. Once we get the kids going to games who have grown up with the panthers as their only team we will have a more rabid fanbase.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
That's ok. When the Pack were stinking up the joint in the 70's and 80's ... my second favorite team was the 49'ers. In the 70's they had a QB/WR tandem of John Brodie and Gene Washington that used to light up the scoreboard through the air (though not like today) AND, I loved their colors...hahaha... plus, in the 80's I had a team I could root for in the playoffs after the regular season. I still have a soft spot for the 9'ers and would love to see them doing better.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's cool, thanks for the note. We are all expecting a 3-13 season with the hope that the team comes together at the end of the season.

Well, here's Newton's chance to prove he's for real. He has the ball with less than 2 minutes to go, down by 7 points.

Edit: Couldn't get the TD.

HA! CHOKE ON THAT, CAM! uhh... I mean, sorry about that. Good game, though.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Would anyone be opposed to playing Alex Green more? I'd like some of our rooks, including So'oto, to get some real reg season action in.

If we're up by 20 points with 3:00 to go maybe. But don't throw backups in there just because you think you'll roll over the other team. That's a dangerous attitude.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Well, here's Newton's chance to prove he's for real. He has the ball with less than 2 minutes to go, down by 7 points.

Edit: Couldn't get the TD.

HA! CHOKE ON THAT, CAM! uhh... I mean, sorry about that. Good game, though.

I'd say that putting up 422 passing yards and 3 TDs on the road in your first NFL game proves that he might be "for real."

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are right I dont think we can underestimate this team...
Fortunately, this is too early in the season to be the dreaded "trap" game that the Packers choke up every year. I think MM and the Dom have enough tape to keep the guys focused. Would feel a bit better if the Bears weren't next. Also not keen on playing teams in their home opener, especially if they haven't won yet.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that putting up 422 passing yards and 3 TDs on the road in your first NFL game proves that he might be "for real."

Although those are great stats, and Newton surpassed my expectations, he threw against a really bad pass D, and he was targeting Steve Smith all the time. I remember the last time the Packers faced them, Rodgers threw about 5 touchdowns and over 400 yards against them. and that was WITH Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. We have a much better secondary than Arizona. Keep in mind that this is the same secondary that held Michael Vick, a proven points machine, to 20 and 16 points respectively, and Tom Brady to 24 points (the only reason the Patriots won was due to bad ST).

Happy Panther

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Happy Panther what is your take on why the Panthers are were they are?

Fun to see our new QB set an NFL record and frankly look stunning. Cam is already in the top 3 all time QBs for Carolina. The questions of accuracy are gone.

Having said that ARI was in the bottom 5 in both O and D last year and we gave up 21 points on lightening broken plays.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I bet the Jets fans wish Sanchez played as well Newton did, even though one was playing a decent rebuilding defense and the other was playing a bottom of the bucket defense that has let teams burn them for years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts