Official Game Day Thread: Green Bay Packers @ Carolina - 9/18: Win 30 - 23

Swarly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers fan here....

Arizona sold out on the run game today and Cam took advantage of it. That's why you saw DWill and Stewart struggle, and also why you saw Cam shatter the rookie debut passing record. I predict Cam will struggle in this game because you guys can rush 4 and provide the same/better amount as pressure Arizona did while dropping more guys in coverage.

What is the twitter feed of the Packers beat writer? I try and follow the Panthers opponents twitter every week to get an idea on how practices are going/injury statuses/interviews/etc.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

ar12fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't like him. He thinks he's going to be an elite and he needs a reality check, quick.

Newton reminds me of Tebow. The big hype quarterback that just cannot deliver as a starter.

I know it's just 1 game but he did prove he can play yesterday. Now let's see what the master Aaron Rodgers can teach the upstart kid.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tebow is a complete bust.

Newton should be better than Tebow.

I hope.
Newton can complete ANY NFL pass. Tebow can't. Not even close.

Newton can play on a traditional offense, Tebow can't and never will be able to.

The problem with Cam was the mental game, him making the key reads, playing the defense, looking out the safeties, knowing when to change the play, knowing where to go with the ball.

He didn't have to do any of that in college, he would just call the play assigned, usually a very short terminology, nothing like the NFL, he would then go through one or two reads, and take off.

You can't compete in the NFL doing only that. Now, obviously I didn't watch the game, 400+ yards doesn't tell me anything really, the little highlights I saw he made one great completion to Steve Smith for a TD, and then there were lots of "free throws".

But I'm now looking forward to our game. To seeing how Cam will handle what Dom Capers throws at him. Steve Smith has a penchant for killing us, if Tramon is nicked up and it's Shields on him, the game could be very competitive.

But you did watch your game. How was Cam Netwon? Was he patient, working his progressions, putting the ball in the right spot for his receivers to run with the ball, or was he just taking the snap, looking at his first options, if it was there he made the completion, if not he ran? Obviously it was his first NFL game, but how would you say he played the game?

Would love to hear it from a Panthers' fans perspective.

Swarly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you did watch your game. How was Cam Netwon? Was he patient, working his progressions, putting the ball in the right spot for his receivers to run with the ball, or was he just taking the snap, looking at his first options, if it was there he made the completion, if not he ran? Obviously it was his first NFL game, but how would you say he played the game?

Would love to hear it from a Panthers' fans perspective.

Was he patient? Arizona sent the house all day to stop the run, and Cam stood strong in the pocket and kept his cool. For a rookie in his first game, you expect that to rattle someone and Cam didn't look intimidated at all. He took some sacks because he held onto the ball too long(classic rookie mistake), but I was honestly shocked at how little he tucked the ball and ran.

Working through his progressions? He's definitely not Rodgers or Brady when it comes to this department, but he did about as well as you'd expect a rookie to do. 4 receivers(Olsen, Shockey, LaFell, and Smith) had more than 50 yards. Cam was definitely focusing on Smith, but only because it was working.

Putting the ball in the right spot for his receivers to run with the ball? Yes. His down field accuracy was what surprised me the most. Even though some of his passes were to wide open receivers, he was making these passes with a collapsing pocket and was placing them right on the receivers hands. Many people said he could never make the passes he made last night.

and finally...

How was Cam Newton?

Fantastic. Exceeded my expectations and that's putting it VERY lightly(I predicted about mid 100's yards, no TD's, a lot of tuck the ball & run, etc). It's disconcerting to me that despite Carolina getting the best QB performance we have had in YEARS, we still lost. It was a victory in the long run, but Arizona was one of the few winnable games on the Panthers ridiculously tough schedule.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was he patient? Arizona sent the house all day to stop the run, and Cam stood strong in the pocket and kept his cool. For a rookie in his first game, you expect that to rattle someone and Cam didn't look intimidated at all. He took some sacks because he held onto the ball too long(classic rookie mistake), but I was honestly shocked at how little he tucked the ball and ran.

Working through his progressions? He's definitely not Rodgers or Brady when it comes to this department, but he did about as well as you'd expect a rookie to do. 4 receivers(Olsen, Shockey, LaFell, and Smith) had more than 50 yards. Cam was definitely focusing on Smith, but only because it was working.

Putting the ball in the right spot for his receivers to run with the ball? Yes. His down field accuracy was what surprised me the most. Even though some of his passes were to wide open receivers, he was making these passes with a collapsing pocket and was placing them right on the receivers hands. Many people said he could never make the passes he made last night.

and finally...

How was Cam Newton?

Fantastic. Exceeded my expectations and that's putting it VERY lightly(I predicted about mid 100's yards, no TD's, a lot of tuck the ball & run, etc). It's disconcerting to me that despite Carolina getting the best QB performance we have had in YEARS, we still lost. It was a victory in the long run, but Arizona was one of the few winnable games on the Panthers ridiculously tough schedule.
Thanks a lot for the thorough reply.

I think that before that game, Capers' gameplan would certainly be towards stopping the run, but if he sells out, we'll be in a lot of trouble.

As for the game, you guys are clearly in rebuilding mode, you can't let that much talent like Peppers walk away and not suffer from it, but in the end it all comes down to the QB. This year is for him to grow. Playing a tough schedule actually helps, specially facing defenses like ours and the Saints', that blitz a lot, but also facing a team like Chicago and Detroit who're a more traditional, Cover 2 defense.

Happy Panther

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your WR corps like? I know about Steve Smith and Jeremy Shockey, but are there other "hidden" weapons that the Packers D should know about?

Shockey and Olsen are the TEs and have looked great in pretty much every game. You know about Smith. Brandon Lafell and Armanti Edwards are the next options. Lafell had some issues last year but looked good last week. Edwards is the former QB from Appalachain State who beat Michigan. He is absurdly athletic and we are all waiting for him to break out as a converted WR. You may also see some wildcat plays designed for him...

Packers4Eva

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even know why anyone is worried about the pathetic panthers. They one ONE new player who had ONE decent game play. That's it. They have no defense and are the most unorganized team, even their fan's think so. This video is all the rage in their feeds: http://bit.ly/mQBpvL

OceanPanther

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello to SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS, from the beautiful coast of NC..
I'm just hoping for the "Any Given Sunday" .. do I expect it ? no,, but that's why they play the game.
I'd expect us to try to run the ball this week more than we did against AZ.. mainly to hopefully control the clock and keep your offense off the field.. Williams and Steward are both capiable of having a good game.. will they ? time will tell..

I saw the point spread above at 10.5 . I'd expect more like 14.. we're still only one game removed from a 2-14 season. If Green Bay won 42-14 I don't think it would surprise anyone..

Let's hope both teams come out of this thing injury free..

OceanPanther

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even know why anyone is worried about the pathetic panthers. They one ONE new player who had ONE decent game play. That's it. They have no defense and are the most unorganized team, even their fan's think so. This video is all the rage in their feeds: http://bit.ly/mQBpvL

LOL, I loved the video,,
The problem is, I'm part of their problem LOL, I'm not on facebook or care to be lol.. some might even say I have a life,, like visiting your wonderful forums lol .
I have a son,, highschool,, and no, he doesn't follow the Panthers on facebook,, he texted me to tell me he does follow the TarHeels ( tar holes,, I'm no fan of the holes ,, go DUKE )
And I do hope ya'll ( southern for you all ) enjoy Russell Wilson this season,, he is special ( lead NCSU to 3 wins over the Carowhinners Tar Heels )
Thanks for sharing the vidieo,,

pantherfan123

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this will be an interesting game. The Packers certainly look like one of the best (if not the best) team in the league right now. This game will let us (Panthers fans) see Cam Newton's consistency. Couldn't be happier with Newton's play on Sunday. I have a feeling Aaron Rodgers will pick apart our secondary, not really sure to expect from the D without Beason. I do feel like Cam's great play on Sunday will open things up a bit more for our running game. (They should with Smith, Shockey, etc.)

I feel like we will look decent in this game simply because we are at home, and we are coming off a loss. not completely sure what to expect though.

Anyways, looking forward to this game! Hoping that it's injury free on both sides!

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shockey and Olsen are the TEs and have looked great in pretty much every game. You know about Smith. Brandon Lafell and Armanti Edwards are the next options. Lafell had some issues last year but looked good last week. Edwards is the former QB from Appalachain State who beat Michigan. He is absurdly athletic and we are all waiting for him to break out as a converted WR. You may also see some wildcat plays designed for him...

We have some experience with Greg Olsen, since he used to play with the Bears, our arch rival. A Woodson-Smith matchup sounds interesting, considering the problems he gave us while on the Giants team in 2007.

I know about the QB, but how's your running game? Is it all DeAngelo Williams, or is it a two- or three-back set like ours (Grant & Starks)? Does having Newton help with that?

Also, the secondary. Will Rodgers tear it up, or do they actually stand a chance? Are there some cornerbacks and safeties that he needs to keep in mind?

pantherfan123

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know about the QB, but how's your running game? Is it all DeAngelo Williams, or is it a two- or three-back set like ours (Grant & Starks)? Does having Newton help with that?

Also, the secondary. Will Rodgers tear it up, or do they actually stand a chance? Are there some cornerbacks and safeties that he needs to keep in mind?

We have a great 3 back tandem in Williams, Stewart and Goodson, As far as Cam helping with that, we aren't too sure as how that will open up, since that was his first game. I would assume after Sunday's game most defenses will be stuffing the box less and keeping more guys on our receivers.

Our Secondary can hold their own, but nothing special, that's honestly my biggest area of concern, Gamble is our main Corner he'll probably be on your #1 guy, but he's no shutdown corner.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a great 3 back tandem in Williams, Stewart and Goodson, As far as Cam helping with that, we aren't too sure as how that will open up, since that was his first game. I would assume after Sunday's game most defenses will be stuffing the box less and keeping more guys on our receivers.

Our Secondary can hold their own, but nothing special, that's honestly my biggest area of concern, Gamble is our main Corner he'll probably be on your #1 guy, but he's no shutdown corner.

We actually don't have a #1 receiver. More like a 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 3 with a kick A&& TE with a few good backups. I'm more concerned with MM coaching to not lose the game or any players, making this a lot closer than it really needs to be.

Reaction score
I just hope that Aaron Doesn't get impatient and start forcing stuff that he shouldn't be forcing.
Wether it's a stupid scramble up the middle without sliding or locking onto a single guy that's triple covered.
He's at his best when he's in that "brady machine mind" zone thing.
Now Idk how good the Panthers offense could be, but Cam looked good and has some decent tight ends and HBs to work with, so if it's a shootout then I want A-Rod to be on his "A" game. But if this game becomes a defensive slugfest, then I want a patient calm/cool Aaron (like the jet's game or 2nd bears game).

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's possible the Packers are already looking ahead to the Bears and spending some time preparing for that matchup, thus not giving 100 per cent to this match up. Even so, I think it might be something like; "Hey Cam! Mr. Rodgers is coming to your house and he's bringing a friend he wants you to meet. His name is Clay. Do you know what he does for a living? He's a predator. That's right, a predator. Can you spell predator? Would you be his neighbor?"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts