Official 2018 4th round pick: J'mon Moore WR

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's way premature to appoint Moore as the starter opposite of Adams.

We have people appointing King, Alexander and Jackson ahead of Tramon right now. It's not surprising people are appointing a 4th round pick ahead of Allison.

I don't think its right. But it isnt surprising

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to discredit EQ's dad, but training to be a body builder and training to be an athlete are different. I mean, a baseball player, basketball player, and football player are all going to have different workouts because of their sport, and even within the sport you'll see different workouts based on goals, position, and body type. So yeah, he probably knows a lot, but that doesn't mean he knows a lot about training for football.

Another point is that the Patriots don't even like what Brady is doing with his trainer...and he's a star! You cannot let a 6th round pick dictate what he wants to do. He has to earn that right.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not to discredit EQ's dad, but training to be a body builder and training to be an athlete are different. I mean, a baseball player, basketball player, and football player are all going to have different workouts because of their sport, and even within the sport you'll see different workouts based on goals, position, and body type. So yeah, he probably knows a lot, but that doesn't mean he knows a lot about training for football.

Another point is that the Patriots don't even like what Brady is doing with his trainer...and he's a star! You cannot let a 6th round pick dictate what he wants to do. He has to earn that right.

In all fairness to John Brown, I would imagine he has researched how to train a Football WR and isn't training his kid to be a bodybuilder, shortstop in baseball or a small forward in basketball.

It's also hard to deny that in his Sophomore season, when EQ was playing with a legit QB (Kizer) his play was impressive. So he and his family must be doing something right.

I mean I get it, people are worried that he and his families way of doing things could be a distraction and make it impossible for him to be successful in Green Bay. Well, the good news, the Packers aren't trying to actively recruit any of his brothers to play, the Packers aren't worried about EQ transfering himself to another team. If EQ and his family want him to have a career in the NFL and I get the impression that they do, they should be smart enough to realize that they will have to adjust to how things are done in the NFL.

I'm actually more excited about him, the more I learn.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
reading some of that stuff, it doesn't sound all that bad. Sounds like principled and dedicated parents and kids. He's not training them to be body builders. But 3 kids where they are at right now, he and his wife have figured a few things out about raising them. Their dad also sounds like someone that has a fair understanding of when to be hands on or off.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like it's gonna be Adams and Moore outside and Cobb in the slot with Graham at Te no matter whose at running back that's a scary group of weapons for Rodgers. Montgomery is wr Aaron Jones struggled as a rookie but in college was very good and Williams who is say is the worst of the 3 averaged 10 yards a catch. Moore goes in 2nd round if he runs that 4.48 at the combine

To me that's an extremely pedestrian group of weapons for Rodgers. It's probably the worst I've felt heading into a season about our receiving weapons the last few years.

Love Adams

Cobb is a good slot WR

Graham to me might be the worst contract handed out this offseason and is nothing more then a big WR that can be a redzone threat

I like Allison but he's still only pretty average

Monty hasn't played WR full time in 3 years

Davis probably won't make the team

Clark is nice but not a guy I feel comfortable with getting a ton of snaps

Hopefully one of the rookies emerges but it's not like these were high round picks. If Moore is the only one that makes the roster nobody should bat an eye.

We went into the offseason knowing we needed to add speed on the outside and did none of that but instead added a big WR that's only been able to excel with a HoFer throwing him the ball, (or in other words the type of guy many make good reasons not to throw big money at), and one mid round and two late round rookie WRs that may not make the team.

They really need to Jones to keep progressing. If that happens they'll still be fine with Rodgers. If not we're one Adam's headshot away from this offense going down the tubes again with the other peremiter weapons

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Furthermore, when you're paying these athletes the amount of money they are, it's reasonable to dictate what they do and how they do it. When Jimmy G and Richard Sherman signed their contracts it detailed how they aren't allowed to ride ATV's, water ski, ski dive, etc etc. If these guys don't like it, they can do something else.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If one of the 3 wrs we drafted doesn’t supplant Geronimo then we’re not in good shape imo. I expect at least moore to, as a senior he’s got enough reps at the position to have a good understanding to make an impact immediately.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If one of the 3 wrs we drafted doesn’t supplant Geronimo then we’re not in good shape imo. I expect at least moore to, as a senior he’s got enough reps at the position to have a good understanding to make an impact immediately.

I wouldn't put that short of a rope on your expectations for the 3 rookies. Look back at both Adams and Nelson's careers. It took both a few years to start blossoming. Maybe we will see the same jump from Allison? I wouldn't say that it isn't a possibility.

While I agree with Ryders previous post about the starting group of WR's seems to be the weakest the Packers have had in a long time, I think the addition of Graham helps to offset that a bit and I am actually really excited about the potential of these 3 guys in the next 1-4 years.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Furthermore, when you're paying these athletes the amount of money they are, it's reasonable to dictate what they do and how they do it. When Jimmy G and Richard Sherman signed their contracts it detailed how they aren't allowed to ride ATV's, water ski, ski dive, etc etc. If these guys don't like it, they can do something else.
There's a large gap between saying we don't want you bullfighting because it's dangerous and may prevent you from playing football that we've already paid you 20 million dollars to do, and saying you have to do workout xyz as opposed to lmn because there is zero hard data out there that shows doing a front squat is more dangerous than doing a back lunge or any other workout. Is EQ not physically able to play football? I'm 100% against micormanaging lives because of a contract. I think it's ********. If a player can't show up to play, then he gets cut. If he is in shape to play, then what's the issue? I don't care if they're paying him 400 million dollars a year, the day they start saying you ahve to do x amount of this workout only and eat y amount of only this particular type of protein and only y supplements is the day I stop watching. people should generally be free to live their lives, regardless of occupation. I haven't seen anything to show that EQ is not physically able to play football. and if he wasn't, then he wouldn't be given a chance. Same goes for anyone

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To further make Mondio's point, much of the training that players do is during the off season or on their own watch. You read about all the programs different athletes are trying and I haven't heard of a lot of teams saying "hold on, no training on your own". Hell, Lacy spent time with Tony Horton and his P90X program and I am guessing at the time, the Packer coaches were all cheering.

Now if EQ is a distraction or a sit in the corner and pout guy during team training, I am guessing he won't spend much time playing. I also don't anticipate that happening after reading quite a few articles today and yes, opinions, today.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a large gap between saying we don't want you bullfighting because it's dangerous and may prevent you from playing football that we've already paid you 20 million dollars to do, and saying you have to do workout xyz as opposed to lmn because there is zero hard data out there that shows doing a front squat is more dangerous than doing a back lunge or any other workout. Is EQ not physically able to play football? I'm 100% against micormanaging lives because of a contract. I think it's ********. If a player can't show up to play, then he gets cut. If he is in shape to play, then what's the issue? I don't care if they're paying him 400 million dollars a year, the day they start saying you ahve to do x amount of this workout only and eat y amount of only this particular type of protein and only y supplements is the day I stop watching. people should generally be free to live their lives, regardless of occupation. I haven't seen anything to show that EQ is not physically able to play football. and if he wasn't, then he wouldn't be given a chance. Same goes for anyone

I think you're taking this further than what has been said.

I'm sure EQ's dad is very knowledgeable. I don't have too much issue with how he's been raised. But EQ's dads job isn't on the line here. Do you get that? These players have had their diets and workouts micromanaged since at least college. This isn't new stuff, that's what a strength coach is for. That's what dietitians are for. I'm sure if EQ wants to discuss some things with Lovat about what he likes/doesn't like, that's fine. But you don't get to come in and demand anything. You have to earn that.

But really man, if you don't think teams are controlling players diets and workouts as much as they can, then you've got a rude awakening. At the end of the day, it's fine if they disagree on stuff, but what the boss says goes. And it's a team game where unity is important.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Had to chuckle, at the end of this video of 2 guys discussing EQ Brown pre-combine, one asks the other if "it would be crazy to move EQ Brown ahead of Sutton as his signature upside player." How was this guy available in the 6th and #207? The Vikings spent a 6th (pick #180) on that German WR Moritz Böhringer back in 2016.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To further make Mondio's point, much of the training that players do is during the off season or on their own watch. You read about all the programs different athletes are trying and I haven't heard of a lot of teams saying "hold on, no training on your own". Hell, Lacy spent time with Tony Horton and his P90X program and I am guessing at the time, the Packer coaches were all cheering.

Now if EQ is a distraction or a sit in the corner and pout guy during team training, I am guessing he won't spend much time playing. I also don't anticipate that happening after reading quite a few articles today and yes, opinions, today.

Nobody is saying that! The only issue people are talking about is if the strength coach says to do something and the player refuses. That's it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think you're taking this further than what has been said.

I'm sure EQ's dad is very knowledgeable. I don't have too much issue with how he's been raised. But EQ's dads job isn't on the line here. Do you get that? These players have had their diets and workouts micromanaged since at least college. This isn't new stuff, that's what a strength coach is for. That's what dietitians are for. I'm sure if EQ wants to discuss some things with Lovat about what he likes/doesn't like, that's fine. But you don't get to come in and demand anything. You have to earn that.

But really man, if you don't think teams are controlling players diets and workouts as much as they can, then you've got a rude awakening. At the end of the day, it's fine if they disagree on stuff, but what the boss says goes. And it's a team game where unity is important.

Personally, I think we are all doing the same thing here, we are trying to guess as to what will happen with EQ Brown. Trying to hedge our guesses based on his past. I can see it going either way, but again, I would rather be discussing the "issues" of a guy who is seems to be totally motivated to succeeding as a WR, than sitting here today talking about "will Antonio Callaway be successful and be able to stay in the league due to his off field issues". One guy and his family are totally dedicated to success, the other guy thinks success is a given and what he does off the field doesn't matter.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think we are all doing the same thing here, we are trying to guess as to what will happen with EQ Brown. Trying to hedge our guesses based on his past. I can see it going either way, but again, I would rather be discussing the "issues" of a guy who is seems to be totally motivated to succeeding as a WR, than sitting here today talking about "will Antonio Callaway be successful and be able to stay in the league due to his off field issues". One guy and his family are totally dedicated to success, the other guy thinks success is a given and what he does off the field doesn't matter.

I'm not even saying it will happen. I'm just saying if it does happen that's not acceptable.

And I think it's ok to discuss it as a possibility since it has happened in the past.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nobody is saying that! The only issue people are talking about is if the strength coach says to do something and the player refuses. That's it.
Right and if the strength coach is a good strength coach, he will stop and listen to what Brown has to say and if a discussion is needed, it can be had. While I respect that Mark Lovat is in the position he is in as the Packers S & C coach, I would find it hard to believe that he doesn't adjust things to tailor fit each player.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read this https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/06/equanimeous-osiris-amonra-st-brown-brothers-family

kind of interesting. They're doing something right as parents, as "weird" as it might seem to the rest of us. Interesting kids to say the least. SAT's in 3 languages? I took my ACT's hungover and thought that was an accomplishment when I scored well. LOL I'm a putz compared to these kids.

The more I see and read about that kid and his family, the more I like to be honest. He might already be one of my favorite players on the team and I’m rooting hard for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not even saying it will happen. I'm just saying if it does happen that's not acceptable.

And I think it's ok to discuss it as a possibility since it has happened in the past.

Fair enough and I agree, it could happen, as anything is possible. I think had the Packers selected EQ in the 3rd round, where he was predicted by most to go, there would be a bit more riding on the outcome of "will he or won't he". However, given the fact that he was picked #207, I think that his upside far outweighs the risk. If that upside does happen, this may end up being a pick talked about for a long time. If he doesn't workout, EQ will just be another failed late round pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I have no problems with that. It is a team sport, and they should be expected to show up in shape and ready to play. If a guy does kettlebell swings and turkish get ups or is old school cybex and hammer strength for his workouts, what does it matter? You trying to tell me they is any sort of significant difference between how good of shape one guy can be in over the other? There's a difference between saying i'm not working out and i'm going to do something different. and by all accounts he's plenty fast enough, strong enough to play football at this level. Him and 2 other siblings probably right behind him. Teams are not controlling players as much as you might think. they have their meal programs, their strength programs etc. and players do what they do. Sometimes what is suggested, sometimes entirely different. There is generally zero issues unless a guy is taking something banned, is not hitting weight or body comp marks they've set, or is failing to perform. I'm not new to the game, I didn't even get a phD in nutrition or kinesiology and I'm confident I could get a person physically ready to play in the nfl with nothing more than variations of squats, pushups and a chin up. or any other number of schools of thought on how to best train someone.

again, I can go to any number of PT's, AT's, sports chiro, MD's, ortho's CSCS and be told 15 different ways to help the superior migration of my scapula. Any number will probably work and everyone will tell you why there way is right and the other is wrong. Some have some pretty legitimate reasons for that too. Some just think they do. They're all "experts" and all have gone to school for quite some time. I'm not even sure what the issue was with EQ or his dad and the staff or even if there was actually an issue. At the end of the day, if a player can run fast enough, jump high enough and do it reliably, any suggestions should remain just that, suggestions if something else is working for them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There is no hardline on that stuff. Lots of gray. How they take care of their bodies are a personal choice. How they are going to function within the concept of the game is another. If you want to zig when we want everyone zagging on the field, it's a problem. If you want to do X to prepare yourself to do Y, but we want you to do Z to be physically ready for Y and you are not physically able to do it when the time comes. We have problems. If you are able to, then I guess I don't care much. By all accounts EQ has been and is more than physically capable of playing this game. and trainers aren't like coaches. It's a program and suggestions to get you ready to do stuff. Coaching is, you be here and do this at this spot. Coaching is you're going to run here and do this or you're playing this position. Rules are more hard and fast. Getting yourself physically prepared is a lot more suggestive and loose than hard and fast.

I don’t think anyone within the Packers’ organization sees the S&C Staff’s function as merely to make suggestions.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
just because they're in college or the pros doesn't mean they're right. You'd be surprised what some of these guys say and believe at any and all levels. There are 14thousand variables to every situation. Do I trust my dad who's guided me my entire life well? Or some guy contradicting him who can't convince me his way is "better"?

If your S&C staff on your NFL team doesn’t know what they’re doing, the solution it to hire a new one, not to just have everyone go by what their dads say.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If your S&C staff on your NFL team doesn’t know what they’re doing, the solution it to hire a new one, not to just have everyone go by what their dads say.
So you're saying the solution would be just to hire John Brown? ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In all fairness to John Brown, I would imagine he has researched how to train a Football WR and isn't training his kid to be a bodybuilder, shortstop in baseball or a small forward in basketball.

It's also hard to deny that in his Sophomore season, when EQ was playing with a legit QB (Kizer) his play was impressive. So he and his family must be doing something right.

I mean I get it, people are worried that he and his families way of doing things could be a distraction and make it impossible for him to be successful in Green Bay. Well, the good news, the Packers aren't trying to actively recruit any of his brothers to play, the Packers aren't worried about EQ transfering himself to another team. If EQ and his family want him to have a career in the NFL and I get the impression that they do, they should be smart enough to realize that they will have to adjust to how things are done in the NFL.

I'm actually more excited about him, the more I learn.

I agree with this, that it could be very exciting if he adjusts and is willing to take coaching and be a part of a team. It could even be a good thing if he collaborates with conditioning staff and creates a plan that incorporates what has worked for him.

My only point is that if that is not the case, if he rejects coaching and tries to dictate where he will/won't play and how he will/won't train, then he's a punk and he can be unceremoniously cut.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he's the man for the job! That would be better than just telling 90 guys to do what you want and come see us if you want some suggestions.
I think that is part of the point here, does Mark Lovat actually control what all 90 guys do from start to finish? Does he give them some leeway in things that they like to do? Or is it his way or the highway? These are 90 guys who have found their way to the NFL via different programs, different methods of success. I am sure Lovat is a smart enough guy to know that there is not just one way to achieve his goals.

Now when it comes to team drills on the field, I would expect EQ to know that he does what the team does.

Unless, he has a note from his Mommy saying he has a boo boo. :whistling:

Members online

Latest posts