Official 2018 3rd round pick: Oren Burks, LB

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's a theme emerging from both what the Packers' brass said after the pick and what scouts told McGinn before the draft: Burks is mature, intelligent, and a hard worker. When drafting a guy who is largely a projection, I'm sure those qualities are prized. Whether or not a player can develop from point A to point B and make good on plus athleticism depends largely on who he is as a person. Hopefully Burks mindset as a player will allow him to grow into being as good a player as he is an athlete.

If Gute is determined to bring in kids like this and ship off clowns like Randall, more power to him.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol I am a lifer packers fan! Grew as a kid in the 80s where my biggest memories before Wolfe, Holmgren,& Favre, was a 1982 strike shorten playoff birth & the 1989 cardiac pack that went 10-6 but didn’t even make the playoffs. My question is why do most of you in here think every pick the pack makes is the greatest ever? This Burk kid was a reach at in the 3rd rd! I don’t care what these prospects do vs Poe dunk U. I ***** these kids when they play top level teams, going up against top tier talent. Burks Bama tape was absolute crap! He can’t diagnose a cold let alone a play! Gets engulfed by O lineman in the run game, takes poor angles to the ball carrier & seems lost in space! SHAQUEM GRIFFIN is a way better prospect than Burk but the Griffin doesvt have a left hand! Put on Griffins tape vs Auburn in the bowl Gabe and Griffin was everywhere making plays! Horrible pick and the fact that the pack traded out of the first pick today, really makes no sense!

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another defensive heavy draft. With Capers gone, so are all the excuses. It had better pay off this time.

From the man who gave you Josh Jackson, ladies and gentlemen...

You know, when all the Dez Bryant talk started, I have to admit I thought y'all were crazy thinking we'd go after him. But then he had that picture of him in a Milwaukee Bucks shirt, and now three picks on the defensive side of the ball. I mean all these years of drafting defense - at some point the offense is going to start to suffer. In fact I think that time has already begun. Maybe there is something with Bryant in the works.
Again, why do you think Aaron Rodgers has only one Super Bowl? Because Ted couldn’t get the defense right! Kept Capers way to bleeping long! Hard to get excited about this draft because it’s just a f-ing repeat of the the past with taking CB high! Hopefully it works this time but neglecting the O & putting the O on ARs right arm only worked once! Aaron can’t do this on his own! Dez is talented but Dallas cut him because they just couldn’t deal w/ his anger, pissed at the world attitude anymore. Sad when that’s the WR upgrade for AR! Hey new GM!! When you cut ARs best WR next time get him a replacement instead of some scrub out if Vandy who’ll be practice squad bond after trainnng camp. Lol

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This does feel a bit like a Ted pick. All that I can say is that maybe Pettine has a plan for him.

I'm really not down on his tape at all. Even considering how raw he is, I don't see a bad player as he currently stands. We just rarely hit on the really athletic players, especially in the middle of the draft. But I'm very impressed with his athleticism.
Burk will be thinking way to much once he’s on a pro field! You think on the field instead of react than your done in the NFL. You could see that in the Bama Game. He wasn’t confident in his reads, slow to react because of it. You’re asking a lot out of a kid to come in as a 3rd rd pick to compete at a position you don’t have a ton of experience-playing. Remember Torrence Marshall? Big, Athletic, fast freak at LB but he couldn’t get the play book down! Torrence run straight & fast, make tackle on special teams lol which he was good at. I think Burks might be that type of player.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of like all of your posts?
Your post are earth shattering! Do you like the packers picking only DBs high the past three out if four drafts? Your just another head up ones ******* packers fan who thinks everything the front office does is gold? Lol

Probably a good thing we can't cut posters for the same huh?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Your post are earth shattering! Do you like the packers picking only DBs high the past three out if four drafts? Your just another head up ones ******* packers fan who thinks everything the front office does is gold? Lol

You obviously don't know me very well do you? I will let you do your research to prove yourself wrong, that is if you can see through your anger.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Burk will be thinking way to much once he’s on a pro field!
You like to assume to much, these guys haven't even put on a helmet and pads yet, and you got their whole career figured out already...you need a psychic booth with the traveling carnival.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You obviously don't know me very well do you? I will let you do your research to prove yourself wrong, that is if you can see through your anger.
Frustration not anger. I’m just over the front office, that has wasted a future hall of fame QBs talents because the front office can’t put together a defense to seriously compete for a Super Bowl. Philly, Rams, Atl, Nola, have all past the packers on defense. When you have picked DBs over & over & over again w/ high draft picks, that sets you back. AR deserves better. The packers have their work cut out to try to get another Super Bowl before AR retires.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You like to assume to much, these guys haven't even put on a helmet and pads yet, and you got their whole career figured out already...you need a psychic booth with the traveling carnival.
Lol how do you figure this kids head won’t spin once he’s on the field trying to diagnose the play book at a position he has one yr playing at in college? I guess the Bama tape didn’t leave you that impression?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Frustration not anger. I’m just over the front office, that has wasted a future hall of fame QBs talents because the front office can’t put together a defense to seriously compete for a Super Bowl. Philly, Rams, Atl, Nola, have all past the packers on defense. When you have picked DBs over & over & over again w/ high draft picks, that sets you back. AR deserves better. The packers have their work cut out to try to get another Super Bowl before AR retires.

Yes, you have made that same point several times since the draft begun. I think anyone following you understands that you are angry frustrated. But saying the same thing over and over again really isn't that productive or even enjoyable to read.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Lol how do you figure this kids head won’t spin once he’s on the field trying to diagnose the play book at a position he has one yr playing at in college? I guess the Bama tape didn’t leave you that impression?
You don't understand the draft process, it is a projection of where a team thinks these prospects will be down the road.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me this is a head scratcher. I honestly don’t think another team had him this high and I don’t like that we gave up tomorrow’s first pick. I mean Josh Sweat is just sitting there and we could have him and Burks. It just seems like a reach. I know no one really knows how other teams had this guy ranked, but even if he was taken, grab one of the three offensive lineman or Avery and grab Sweat tomorrow. Can’t get too upset though, we got Jackson and Alexander. I’m hoping this kid makes me eat crow.
agree. his tape vs Bama (2017) was horrible. so many miss tackles... doesn't even look like hes playing side line to side line..
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol I am a lifer packers fan! Grew as a kid in the 80s where my biggest memories before Wolfe, Holmgren,& Favre, was a 1982 strike shorten playoff birth & the 1989 cardiac pack that went 10-6 but didn’t even make the playoffs. My question is why do most of you in here think every pick the pack makes is the greatest ever? This Burk kid was a reach at in the 3rd rd! I don’t care what these prospects do vs Poe dunk U. I ***** these kids when they play top level teams, going up against top tier talent. Burks Bama tape was absolute crap! He can’t diagnose a cold let alone a play! Gets engulfed by O lineman in the run game, takes poor angles to the ball carrier & seems lost in space! SHAQUEM GRIFFIN is a way better prospect than Burk but the Griffin doesvt have a left hand! Put on Griffins tape vs Auburn in the bowl Gabe and Griffin was everywhere making plays! Horrible pick and the fact that the pack traded out of the first pick today, really makes no sense!

I guess we should all be like you and think every pick they make is the worst one? That said I don't think anyone said taking Burks was the best move ever. For that matter I don't think anyone has said the Alexander or Jackson picks were the best ever. A lot of people like the picks some like them a lot but its a stretch to think that means they are the best ever.

Again, why do you think Aaron Rodgers has only one Super Bowl? Because Ted couldn’t get the defense right! Kept Capers way to bleeping long! Hard to get excited about this draft because it’s just a f-ing repeat of the the past with taking CB high! Hopefully it works this time but neglecting the O & putting the O on ARs right arm only worked once! Aaron can’t do this on his own! Dez is talented but Dallas cut him because they just couldn’t deal w/ his anger, pissed at the world attitude anymore. Sad when that’s the WR upgrade for AR! Hey new GM!! When you cut ARs best WR next time get him a replacement instead of some scrub out if Vandy who’ll be practice squad bond after trainnng camp. Lol

So AR only has one SB because TT couldn't get the defense right but Gute is f-ing up for trying to get the defense right. Not sure I get that line of reasoning. The only similarity between this draft and 2015 is the position. Alexander and Jackson are not Randall and Rollins. All indications are that these guys are players at the position so what is not to get excited about. The fact that we may not have to address the CB position for several years should be good news. As far a Burks you're pissed because YOU don't like the pick. I get that, it's your right not to like the pick. That doesn't me you are right and your opinion that this guy or that guy is better is just that, your opinion and it means no more than anyone else's who has studied these guys.

Has the need to try and fix the R&R debacle of 2015 set us back? Of course it has but does that mean we shouldn't try to fix it. You are saying it was a mistake to take Alexander and Jackson this year because we took Randall and Rollins in 2015 and King and Jones in 2016. So we are just supposed to live with the past mistakes without trying to fix them? Yes it would be great if our first two picks from 2015 were pro bowl players by now but they aren't Hopefully our most recent additions will be and judging from the reviews (other than yours of course) they very well may be.

Yes, you have made that same point several times since the draft begun. I think anyone following you understands that you are angry frustrated. But saying the same thing over and over again really isn't that productive or even enjoyable to read.

You can say that again

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agree. his tape vs Bama (2017) was horrible. so many miss tackles... doesn't even look like hes playing side line to side line..
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Wow. It's almost like he is playing a position he is not used to against the best team in the country and there isn't much talent around him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, I like his tape more than Josh Jones. His athleticism is on display every play, he seems like he'd at least be good in coverage and occasionally blitzing. Jones would just constantly make boneheaded mental errors. I'm not seeing any mental lapses from Burks, just likely needs a plan and more experience.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I got him in the Amish draft contest....I’m on the board, wrong round though.
I got on the board with Josh Jackson and also in the wrong round. My board remaining is in bad shape. I’ll be really lucky if I hit on 1 more.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wrestle with this every year. You see guys like Burks rated as "late round or priority free agent" on a few sights and then your team grabs them in the 3rd round (after a trade up). First reaction is "WTF?". But you have to trust the guys doing the work know a hell of a lot more than us and they have a rhyme and a reason behind the madness.
My question would be, why in the hell would anyone give credence to a few websites over a whole team of professional, experienced scouts? That seems like sheer lunacy to me.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it matter? His flaws are obvious.
Yes, it matters because when you look at ANY player in those kinds of videos their flaws are obvious and they ALL have their flaws. Highlight videos only include good plays.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OldSchoolPackFan -

Why are you denying the Packers your skills as a GM? You are clearly much smarter than Ted Thompson and Brian Gutekunst.

Members online

Latest posts