Official 2018 3rd round pick: Oren Burks, LB

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
raw talent. I had him on amish's mock draft going 5th round but I didnt think we'll pick him so i took him out. packers did a private workout with Burks. But in round 3,, thats alittle rich for my blood. Shouldve stayed in 4th and pick up griffin or a WR,

To me this is a head scratcher. I honestly don’t think another team had him this high and I don’t like that we gave up tomorrow’s first pick. I mean Josh Sweat is just sitting there and we could have him and Burks. It just seems like a reach. I know no one really knows how other teams had this guy ranked, but even if he was taken, grab one of the three offensive lineman or Avery and grab Sweat tomorrow. Can’t get too upset though, we got Jackson and Alexander. I’m hoping this kid makes me eat crow.

Divot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a head scratcher for me. Gute is going for speed upgrades. This dude is big and fast. Let Pettine work his magic.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To me this is a head scratcher. I honestly don’t think another team had him this high and I don’t like that we gave up tomorrow’s first pick. I mean Josh Sweat is just sitting there and we could have him and Burks. It just seems like a reach. I know no one really knows how other teams had this guy ranked, but even if he was taken, grab one of the three offensive lineman or Avery and grab Sweat tomorrow. Can’t get too upset though, we got Jackson and Alexander. I’m hoping this kid makes me eat crow.

I wrestle with this every year. You see guys like Burks rated as "late round or priority free agent" on a few sights and then your team grabs them in the 3rd round (after a trade up). First reaction is "WTF?". But you have to trust the guys doing the work know a hell of a lot more than us and they have a rhyme and a reason behind the madness.

Titletown01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Burks but not for a 3rd Rounder. The best value would have been Ronnie Harrison, but half of you would have blasted BG for going that route but Day 1 he's better than Jones, Brice, and depending on which Haha showed up him too.

But beyond Harrison we could have gone for a WR in Cain, Quinn, Hamilton or my favorite St. Brown, which I don't see us getting now that we're so far down in the 4th.

But if I was in the GM's chair and I'm making a pick at this position, I'm going Dorance Armstrong Jr, Genard Avery, or Josh Sweat.

Saying Harrison is better than those guys when he’s never played a down in the pros is laughable. I think Pettine is going to get a lot out of Jones and Brice, who have both actually flashed potential in the league.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wrestle with this every year. You see guys like Burks rated as "late round or priority free agent" on a few sights and then your team grabs them in the 3rd round (after a trade up). First reaction is "WTF?". But you have to trust the guys doing the work know a hell of a lot more than us and they have a rhyme and a reason behind the madness.

Ya, I know we have to trust the process, but a lot of times like with Randall and others, you can just tell it was "their" guy and they definitely reached. I wanted Oliver over Jackson, but there's no way I could get mad at picking two projected first round corners. This however, just seems like an old TT style pick, but I'm obviously going to give him and the team the benefit of the doubt. I still see holes at OL, Edge, and WR. Really wish we walked away with Noteboom, Okoafor, or Cappa at that pick. I think we could find a coverage backer later. I just got home from a concert though so I honestly need to let this marinate and there's still a lot of talent left, but man are we far down if we don't trade up again.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another defensive heavy draft. With Capers gone, so are all the excuses. It had better pay off this time.

I think this means GB will aggressively try to go after Dez Bryant.
From the man who gave you Josh Jackson, ladies and gentlemen...

You know, when all the Dez Bryant talk started, I have to admit I thought y'all were crazy thinking we'd go after him. But then he had that picture of him in a Milwaukee Bucks shirt, and now three picks on the defensive side of the ball. I mean all these years of drafting defense - at some point the offense is going to start to suffer. In fact I think that time has already begun. Maybe there is something with Bryant in the works.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ya, I know we have to trust the process, but a lot of times like with Randall and others, you can just tell it was "their" guy and they definitely reached

I think a lot of people say that way after the fact, like 2-4 years. Not every pick works out and I can imagine if I looked back on 10 years of "my guys", a lot less would have worked out.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mother of God... Watching the first four plays of this tape made me realize I really need to go to bed and reevaluate this in the morning.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying Harrison is better than those guys when he’s never played a down in the pros is laughable. I think Pettine is going to get a lot out of Jones and Brice, who have both actually flashed potential in the league.

You could say the same about some a couple of pros who've "flashed potential". Potential means nothing if it doesn't show up when needed. That's why the Draft comes around every year.

So how bout we just call it a stalemate since Harrison could easily have gone in the back of the 1st Round and nobody would've batted an eyelash, because he's "flashed the potential" to be successful in the league.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surely. Hawk in his later days but especially the clueless Nate Palmer, to name two. Joe Thomas? I never got that at all. The zone defense concept that sooner or later you have to cover somebody was something he struggled to grasp. Drop 10 or 15 and just stand there doesn't do it for me.

I think some here would be suprised what a team might offer Ryan as a sideline-to-sideline run defender to be paired with a speedy hybrid guy. The problem is that Ryan and Martinez are a little redundant.

But if it turns out that Burks, Ryan and Martinez are your #1, #2, and #3 ILBs that's ok. Redundancy is necessary for security /smile.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another defensive heavy draft. With Capers gone, so are all the excuses. It had better pay off this time.

From the man who gave you Josh Jackson, ladies and gentlemen...

You know, when all the Dez Bryant talk started, I have to admit I thought y'all were crazy thinking we'd go after him. But then he had that picture of him in a Milwaukee Bucks shirt, and now three picks on the defensive side of the ball. I mean all these years of drafting defense - at some point the offense is going to start to suffer. In fact I think that time has already begun. Maybe there is something with Bryant in the works.

Decker may be the better choice. Bryant may be too costly and he talks too much.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it redundancy as Burks is a converted safety, he should provide much greater support in coverage. Like someone else said, our Dime LB at worst if Jones continues to be iffy.

If you ask me, BG is trying to find 2-3 players to replicate what Morgan Burnett can do on the field.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not following the draft today, but I saw speculation the Packers really wanted Arden Key and the Raiders traded for the pick right in front of the Packers and got him?

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to stop watching his game footage vs Alabama because he was a ghost out there. Did they let Ted make a pick for old time's sake?
Burn that Bama Game tape! Oren was terrible in that GM! He took poor angles to ball carrier & let the OL in gulf him in the run game! Poorly recognized plays too! Shaquem Griffin way better player!! What a waste of a pick! Nfl.com has him rated as back up & special teams player!

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not following the draft today, but I saw speculation the Packers really wanted Arden Key and the Raiders traded for the pick right in front of the Packers and got him?

Yeah, it's hard to say. I am really high on Key as a natural pass rusher and would REALLY have loved for us to have picked him. His fluidity and bend around the edge is perhaps the most impressive I've ever seen....and we desperately need a pass rusher like that who can sliver around the blocker instead of rumbling through.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks is a lot faster than any other LB on the team. He looks like he was drafted to be a coverage LB. Could be a decent pick if he's used correctly. With his speed, he may also be a good blitzer up the middle and be good on special teams. While he may never develop into a 3 down player, the Packers were desperate for speed at ILB to finally be able to cover rb's and elite te's. While I'm not excited about the pick, he may still help fill a glaring roster weakness.
Now this was a poor pick! Shaquem Griffin is waaaaay better player than Burks! This is a Ted pick! Where you pick a guy in the 3rd rd but he’s more suited to be picked in the mid to late in the 5thd rd! Gave up the first pick on the final day & one of the 5th rounders for this kid?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those saying Burks was for sure there in round 4 sporting news had him mocked at pick 91 in the mock draft they did yesterday morning. Peter schrager from nfl.com had him going 87 to the rams. Just because a couple sites say a guy is a late round guy doesn't mean that is true. He could bust for sure but some saw him as a 3rd round guy

Full disclosure I know nothing about the guy and reports are all over on him. It is the first pick I am not really excited about so far. If he can be a passing down ilb and a really good specific teams player year one that is good value. Long term as a third round pick you want him to be a 3 down ilb though

Last edited:

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much after the first round and a half, everyone else after that is basically a crap shoot. Some scouts and front offices value things more than others and vice versa. Going off mock drafts or what round websites guess a player is going to be taken is just not the best way to look at it. One player could be a day 2 pick for one team and a 6th rounder for another. I’m trusting Gute and his team to know more about what our team needs than what a site projects a prospect as.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know anything about Burk. I can’t even recall a Vanderbilt game I have watched in the past four years. That being said, from what I have read, he seems to have two unanimous qualities across the board: leadership and athletism. He ranked #10 overall for linebackers in combine results. That’s what I want in an inside linebacker. Develop this guy for a future Jake Ryan replacement or even immediate rotational ILB. Excited to see what he can do for this team. Mike Pettine certainly has some young athletes to work with this year. (Side note Jaire Alexander and Josh jackson ranked #2 and #4 overall in combine results for corners).

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now this was a poor pick! Shaquem Griffin is waaaaay better player than Burks! This is a Ted pick! Where you pick a guy in the 3rd rd but he’s more suited to be picked in the mid to late in the 5thd rd! Gave up the first pick on the final day & one of the 5th rounders for this kid?
This does feel a bit like a Ted pick. All that I can say is that maybe Pettine has a plan for him.

I'm really not down on his tape at all. Even considering how raw he is, I don't see a bad player as he currently stands. We just rarely hit on the really athletic players, especially in the middle of the draft. But I'm very impressed with his athleticism.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nearly all wide receivers, even top picks, are 1-2 year projects.
Or up to 8 year projects as in the case of Janis. Cant believe we gave up just before the big payoff
For what it's worth, on path to the draft when they select players for teams they had Burks going in the 3rd. Saying he had amazing potential and could make an impact for the right team. I don't recall which team, but I recall they said it was a team that had success with a Vanderbilt player in the past.

While Pettine gets him up to speed, we probably have a hell of a special teamer.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or up to 8 year projects as in the case of Janis. Cant believe we gave up just before the big payoff
For what it's worth, on path to the draft when they select players for teams they had Burks going in the 3rd. Saying he had amazing potential and could make an impact for the right team. I don't recall which team, but I recall they said it was a team that had success with a Vanderbilt player in the past.

While Pettine gets him up to speed, we probably have a hell of a special teamer.

Ya, I read something about Atlanta wanting him in that round, but I really don't like the idea of using a 3rd on a special teamer. I know he'll be groomed for more, but the Alabama tape on him is easily one of the worst tapes I've seen of a prospect this year. Time will tell though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Dez Bryant is NOT coming to Green Bay. He wants a one-year contract (turned down a multi-year deal with the Ravens?) AND he's a bonafide head case. I can't imagine the circumstance where Dez Bryant gets into Green Bay's locker room ... by mutual agreement. He doesn't want to come here (too much history, he says) and as I said, I can't imagine Mike McCarthy wanting this guy in his locker room.

This getting weapons for Aaron thing is wayyyy out of hand. In my opinion, the biggest weapon the Packers can give Aaron Rodgers is a defense that can actually stop some team ... ANY team ... before they get to the Packers' side of the 50.

Members online