Official 2018 3rd round pick: Oren Burks, LB

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ive seen people posting this is a "Ted Thompson pick" but I belive it's more of a Pettine pick. Pettine was very instrumental in the Jets drafting Demario Davis in 2012 and Burks is pretty close to a carbon copy of Davis coming out. If they can get Burks developed and playing like Davis then this will be a home run pick.

I like the pick a lot as it secures us more speed and range in the middle of the defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ive seen people posting this is a "Ted Thompson pick" but I belive it's more of a Pettine pick. Pettine was very instrumental in the Jets drafting Demario Davis in 2012 and Burks is pretty close to a carbon copy of Davis coming out. If they can get Burks developed and playing like Davis then this will be a home run pick.

I like the pick a lot as it secures us more speed and range in the middle of the defense.

The big difference between Davis coming out and Burks, athletically, would be the agility drills.

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie. This pick came as somewhat a surprise, but I don't have 10% of the up-to-date information on players that the entire personnel staff has.. The film on him only shows me what would happen to nearly every Safety converted to LB except a select few. Anyone Remember Josh Jones playing hybrid LB early last year? He looked lost.. and he's a bonafide early second day pick. Players need time to develop, lets be realistic here

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but Burks was converted to LB in college, and spent a couple years at the position. His acclimation to Pettine's system and playing at an NFL level altogether should be faster than Jones as he was a S and was pulled into the box because it Capers system. I didn't follow Jones that much but I don't think Louisville asked that of him.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but Burks was converted to LB in college, and spent a couple years at the position. His acclimation to Pettine's system and playing at an NFL level altogether should be faster than Jones as he was a S and was pulled into the box because it Capers system. I didn't follow Jones that much but I don't think Louisville asked that of him.
jones college highlights looked pretty good as a safety. capers shot his, and randall's, wheels off with their position conversion. hope that's the end of the experiments in GB.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. It's almost like he is playing a position he is not used to against the best team in the country and there isn't much talent around him.
Sure he doesn't have talent around him, but where is the instinct?? Where is the chase? The motor. Slow to diagnose plays. He had two seasons at linebacker FYI, and also started at linebacker in high school.

Okay sure, he played against the best team in the country (Bama). but Tennessee? Again, not worth 3rd round pick IMO. 5 round at best.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
It doesn’t sound to me like he has more than 1 full year at LB (at best). As far as I can see he’s classified as a DB, S and LB with a hybrid designation one year, so you could say he really is pretty raw for a 3rd rounder.
Seems to me he’s a jack of all trades “Tweener” type with incredible athletic ability.

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn’t sound to me like he has more than 1 full year at LB. As far as I can see he’s classified as a DB, S and LB with a hybrid designation one year. He’s only played 1 year as a mainly designated LB. Seems to me he’s a jack of all trades “Tweener” type

Hope Pettine can scheme something for him. If anything, he will contribute in special teams same for Donnerson.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure he doesn't have talent around him, but where is the instinct?? Where is the chase? The motor. Slow to diagnose plays. He had two seasons at linebacker FYI, and also started at linebacker in high school.

Okay sure, he played against the best team in the country (Bama). but Tennessee? Again, not worth 3rd round pick IMO. 5 round at best.

I certainly didn't see anything in there to make me feel good about this pick. It's one game, but still, i hope it was one of his pretty bad ones and he can be much better.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pick reminds me of a New England pick, taking a guy for a very specific role. I hope it pans out. He needs some time. I wonder who will be our dime LB until he's ready. I sure hope they let JJ focus on safety and don't switch him to LB on some plays.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For the record, I would not have made this pick. I would stayed put and not traded up because I have my doubts. He should have been more effective with those physical traits. I wonder if he has the right mentality, which cannot be taught

Last edited:

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
For the record, I would not have made this pick. I would stayed put and not traded up because I have my doubts. He should have been more effective with those physical traits. I wonder if he has the right mentality, which cannot be taught
Mentality And athleticism are the two traits I think Burks does have. I think he will be a guy that studies film, learns the playbook and he does seem like a leader on and off the field (all traits I love in a player). Where I feel like Burks is a miss is the ability to diagnose the play as it unfolds. His tape shows he looks lost out there, but this could be due to coaching. I think if Green Bay can define his role early, he will put his time in to improving. I also question his ability to make tackles in open space (particular in the backfield). Guys like Cook and even Tarik Cohen I feel like will shake him very quickly.

Staff online

Members online