OFFICIAL 2018 1ST ROUND PICK Jaire Alexander

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He starts and plays well. I am ecstatic about the pick. But there is going to be a lot of pressure here. He will not only need to play above the standards of several guys we could have taken at 14 but also we will need a wr that plays better than martavious bryant.
Just remember, this wasn't just JA for the #14 pick, we fricking got the Saints #1 pick in 2019! That could be anywhere from a #1 to a #32, but the value of it + the other 2 picks was off the charts.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
.a back up...maybe part time slot guy?
He will be starting in the slot game 1. Would it have been nice to have James, yes, I was upset we didn't pull the trigger at #14, but they got arguably the top press corner in the draft, which is what Pettine wants, not to mention a dynamic punt returner. Plus they now have (2) 1st rd picks next yr., and another 5th and 7th rd pick this yr, by dropping 4 places, and it cost them just a 3rd rd pick...I say they won that trade fest. Look what (2) 1st's got Buffalo this yr. they started at #21 and #22, then #21 became #12, and when all was said and done, they turned them (2) #1 Picks ended up being #7 and #16.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as grading Gute on his first draft, I will give him an A- for pulling that double trade off. It goes to an A if he trades us back into the 3rd round with the help of that 5th round pick (#147) obtained from N.O.

A- is ridiculous to give since there was absolute first round talent there and he gave up on it. I don't want to say it was not a good pick. But I would give it at best a B in terms of how it all came together.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What if he’s a 70+% nickel as a rookie and then a starter the year after and following? Was it a bad pick then?

I could see him “starting” in base and then moving into the slot in sub packages.

Agreed. I think Ward was probably the only sure starter at CB. Everyone else on the board would have had to work into the rotation in someway. JA works in as the nickle and your punt returner. The more I read about him, the more I like....sure call me a homer! :D

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, JA is an excellent punt returner. This pick may have ended the need to keep Trevor Davis as a #5 or #6 WR.

If we drafted this ****** to be a punt returner I give the pick an F. This guy is going to be a starting corner and nothing else or Gute gets a swift kick out the door. Unless the plan is to bring in another corner yet.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol if you think Ted Thompson had gone away, think again! WTF GREEN BAY? Really, WTF?!?!?! After Bradley Chubb & Roquan Smith, Derwin James was the next impact player! TED”Gutty”THOMPSON trades back, to acquire a “glorified” 1st rd pick from Nola, which is a few picks away from a 2nd rd pick in 2019. Than trades back to 18 to draft a lesser player than JAMES in Jaire Alexander, sacrificing this years 3rd rd pick:rolleyes: Aaron Rodgers I apologize...again, on behalf of the GBP front office tanking another draft! One f*cking Super Bowl win, is a joke for a Green Bay Packers franchise w/ Aaron Rodgers has QB! Our #12 is just as, or more talented than the Pats #12 but the pats #12 doesn’t have to do it alone! The Pats #12 has a smart front office that upgrades the roster via all three faciets, draft, free agency, & trades! Plus the pats make sure their #12 has a competitive defense! See Super Bowl 51! Oh and if the Alexander kid is getting hurt at the JV level, what makes you think he will stay healthy at the varsity level? What a farce!!! Draft on Ted! Lolol:p

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I don’t know if Alexander will struggle with injuries at the next level or not. But having one season in college where he struggled does not make him “injury prone.” Many, many prospects have individual seasons where they struggle with injuries. Had it been his freshman season instead of the most recent, no one is saying anything about it tonight.
Plus he made it back and played the last 3 games, he went to the combine and ran a 4.38. Dr Andrews gave his knee an all clear to finish the season, it was a sprain, nothing torn.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A- is ridiculous to give since there was absolute first round talent there and he gave up on it. I don't want to say it was not a good pick. But I would give it at best a B in terms of how it all came together.
Keep your eye on the big prize.....the Saints first round pick. The move can't be adequately evaluated until we see what that nets the Packers. Hell, even if the Saints win the SB, we still get the 32nd "best" player in the draft.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus he made it back and played the last 3 games, he went to the combine and ran a 4.38. Dr Andrews gave his knee an all clear to finish the season, it was a sprain, nothing torn.

Another scare for me is that Packers like these guys with injury issues.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed. I think Ward was probably the only sure starter at CB. Everyone else on the board would have had to work into the rotation in someway. JA works in as the nickle and your punt returner. The more I read about him, the more I like....sure call me a homer! :D

It’s not hard. Aside from missing games last year, there isn’t much not to like.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we drafted this ****** to be a punt returner I give the pick an F. This guy is going to be a starting corner and nothing else or Gute gets a swift kick out the door. Unless the plan is to bring in another corner yet.
Why wouldn't you use him as a punt returner? If you think that will be his sole duty, read a bit more about him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

And in the games he did play, PFF had him with the league’s lowest passer rating allowed in the BCS.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep your eye on the big prize.....the Saints first round pick. The move can't be adequately evaluated until we see what that nets the Packers. Hell, even if the Saints win the SB, we still get the 32nd "best" player in the draft.

What is the big prize from the Saints? I get it gives us a first next season but if that first is also in the 20's how great is that pick? Especially when you have as much cap room as we are projected? It is just not all that great. This was the season we needed picks. And moving up for Jaire better have been worth it. Because if Jaire busts and Edmunds or James ends up great we busted on the pick. Or Vander Esch ffs.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if he’s a 70+% nickel as a rookie and then a starter the year after and following? Was it a bad pick then?

I could see him “starting” in base and then moving into the slot in sub packages.
we'll just have to see. we need a day-one, impact, starter for this D to be any better. the free agency moves did nothing for it. got older and slower. burnett let go for josh jones to start so less experience there. if he doesn't blow away one of the starters, that makes him a back up...something no one wanted from our pick at 14.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Another scare for me is that Packers like these guys with injury issues.
Any player can get hurt at any time, its part of the game. He wasn't hurt the first two seasons of college, playing in 25 of 26 games his freshman and sophomore seasons. Plus he came back to finish the season. Its not like he had reconstructive knee surgery, it was a sprain, and he broke something in his hand. He will be fine.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What is the big prize from the Saints? I get it gives us a first next season but if that first is also in the 20's how great is that pick? Especially when you have as much cap room as we are projected? It is just not all that great. This was the season we needed picks. And moving up for Jaire better have been worth it. Because if Jaire busts and Edmunds or James ends up great we busted on the pick. Or Vander Esch ffs.

So Edmunds or James couldn't bust? I think you are looking at this in a small bubble. I actually was ecstatic to see Edmunds and James there at #14. But the move back and move up, IMO, netted the Packers much more than selecting one of them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
we'll just have to see. we need a day-one, impact, starter for this D to be any better. the free agency moves did nothing for it. got older and slower. burnett let go for josh jones to start so less experience there. if he doesn't blow away one of the starters, that makes him a back up...something no one wanted from our pick at 14.

If he’s one of the top 3 corners, he’s a starter.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any player can get hurt at any time, its part of the game. He wasn't hurt the first two seasons of college, playing in 25 of 26 games his freshman and sophomore seasons. Plus he came back to finish the season. Its not like he had reconstructive knee surgery, it was a sprain, and he broke something in his hand. He will be fine.

Sure. I understand that.

Staff online

Latest posts