OFFICIAL 2018 1ST ROUND PICK Jaire Alexander

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what did we give back? We picked up a 5th this year and next years first to move down I'm hoping we got to keep at least one of them. All in all I would have rather had James or Edmunds but I've heard good things about Alexander as well although reading that overview it doesn't sound like a first round pick to me.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is an outstanding cb and will help this team. I would have preferred sitting tight and taking Edmunds. I don't think next year will be as deep of a draft and I don't know that we got value. But, if we would have taken JA at 14 anyway, then Gute did very well. Tough to give up a 3 as I think that player is probably starter quality in this draft.

Jaire won the combine and I put him as the packer's pick in my mock via a trade back. He will start as a rookie and be good.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be lots of fun comparing this guy's career to LVE, Landry, Edmunds, and James. We got a very good corner with good change of direction but limits on his ability to stick with fast, downfield receivers. Yes, I know he times fast but whether it's the pads that slow him down or lack of awareness he gives up the deep ball (PFF had him giving up 6 deep TDs in 2016).

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now we are picking at number 27 instead of 14.... that feels more familiar lol.

Now we have to route against the Saints all year as well as route for the Pack since we are getting the Saints first round pick next year.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay traded back from the No. 14 spot to No. 27, getting a fifth-round pick (No. 147) and a first-round choice next year from New Orleans.

The Packers acquired the 18th and 248th overall picks from Seattle in exchange for the 27th (acquired from Saints), 76th and 186th overall picks in this year's draft.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is an outstanding cb and will help this team. I would have preferred sitting right and taking Edmunds. I don't think next year will be as deep and I don't know that we got value. But, if we would have taken JA at 14 anyway, then Gute did very well.

Jaire won the combine and I put him as the pa ker pick in my mock via a trade back. He will start as a rookie and be good.

That makes me feel a bit better. I guess those overviews are always a bit harsh unless you are talking about one of the few top prospects. Hopefully we can trade some of our picks and regain the third rounder we gave up to get him.

At least I can go to bed now. Don't know if I will but I can.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That makes me feel a bit better. I guess those overviews are always a bit harsh unless you are talking about one of the few top prospects. Hopefully we can trade some of our picks and regain the third rounder we gave up to get him.

At least I can go to bed now. Don't know if I will but I can.
I'm trying to find more and post

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is an outstanding cb and will help this team. I would have preferred sitting tight and taking Edmunds. I don't think next year will be as deep of a draft and I don't know that we got value. But, if we would have taken JA at 14 anyway, then Gute did very well. Tough to give up a 3 as I think that player is probably starter quality in this draft.

Jaire won the combine and I put him as the packer's pick in my mock via a trade back. He will start as a rookie and be good.

Eh, we basically moved down 4 spots, gained a first and gave up a third, but still got a top 3 corner prospect. I like it and I think Alexander could easily be the best corner in the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

From a measurables standpoint it appears this pick is an attempt to recreate Sam Shields.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walterfootball

• You must be logged in to see this image or video!
    Jaire Alexander*, CB, Louisville
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 196. Arm: 31.13. Hand: 9.5.
    40 Time: 4.38.
    Projected Round (2018): 1.
    4/25/18: During the leadup to the 2018 NFL Draft, Alexander has continued to rise, and he could be the second cornerback to go off the board. Alexander had maybe the best combine performance of any prospect in the 2018 NFL Draft. After his thoroughly impressive workout, he is projected to be a first-round pick.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Alexander was one of the most impressive cornerbacks. He ran a fast 40 but was even better in the field work, showing excellent footwork, loose hips, and the agility to glide effortlessly around the field. He had the look of a first-rounder. However, his combine medical exam will be of critical importance to determining how high Alexander is selected.

Alexander missed four games because of a knee injury early in 2017, and then dealt with a broken hand that caused him to miss two more games. When on the field, Alexander played well with 19 tackles, four passes broken up and an interception. He is a good cover corner who would be a first-round pick if it weren't for the durability concerns. Alexander is a fast and athletic corner who can run the route and prevent separation. Because of the injury red flag, sources from multiple teams think that Alexander will slip to Day 2 of the 2018 NFL Draft and won't sneak into the first round. If he stays healthy, Alexander could end up being a second-day steal.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018CB.php#ixzz5Dpsgvn8K

Janesvilleaces

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A true cb.. I like it in that we gain a first round pick next year to move down 4 spots this year....I think there will be more deals made in second day.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, we basically moved down 4 spots, gained a first and gave up a third, but still got a top 3 corner prospect. I like it and I think Alexander could easily be the best corner in the draft.
You know, that is a good way to look at it.

Still, I am probably watching some NO games next year and rooting against them.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NCAA recap

A three-star prospect from Charlotte, N.C., Rocky River High School, Alexander had been committed to South Carolina but flipped to the Cardinals after an official visit in early December. He was an early enrollee with the Cardinals and made an immediate impact during that spring campaign. He played in 12 games with one start as a true freshman and finished with 19 tackles and one interception. He was the team's top punt returner at 9.7 yards a kick. In 2016, Alexander became one of the top cornerbacks in the country. He was named second team All-ACC and developed into one of the most physical and top cover cornerbacks in the country. Alexander started all 13 games and led U of L with five interceptions. He finished with 39 tackles, 14 pass break ups, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. As a punt returner, Alexander averaged 16.2 yards on 20 returns, including a 69-yard punt return against Florida State.

Heading into the 2017 season, Alexander was considered one of the top players in the secondary but was limited because of injuries. He suffered a sprained knee late in the first half of the opener against Purdue when he attempted to return a blocked field goal. Alexander missed the next four games and then returned for two games, to record five tackles for the Cardinals. He missed another game with the knee injury and one more with a broken hand before returning for the final three regular-season games when he had 14 tackles and one interception. Alexander's father said on Dec. 20 that he received a second-round draft grade and wasn't in a hurry to make a decision on his future. But two days later he announced he was entering the draft and would skip the TaxSlayer Bowl where Louisville played Mississippi State.