OFFICIAL 2018 1ST ROUND PICK Jaire Alexander

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just figured out why it takes so long between when they say "the pick is in" and for the comish to announce the pick. They need time to slap those names on the Jerseys. Its got to be more confusing than the SB winner apparel. They need names that match every possible jersey because they don't know who is taking who.

Janesvilleaces

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since saints pick next year likely to be in 20s do u move it to get back in 1st round this year for another cb or wr?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since saints pick next year likely to be in 20s do u move it to get back in 1st round this year for another cb or wr?

I would but with the last few teams left to pick thinking they maybe need 1 more piece to get them the trophy this year they may not be willing to move it for a pick next year.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a homer Iowa fan, definitely would have liked the Pack staying at 27 to draft Josh Jackson. Hopefully Gute saw something in Jaire.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be lots of fun comparing this guy's career to LVE, Landry, Edmunds, and James. We got a very good corner with good change of direction but limits on his ability to stick with fast, downfield receivers. Yes, I know he times fast but whether it's the pads that slow him down or lack of awareness he gives up the deep ball (PFF had him giving up 6 deep TDs in 2016).

Sometimes that relates to the quality of your safety help. Was that taken into consideration in those 6 deep passes? Was it zone coverage on some of those?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Because of the height thresholds for corners typical among Wolf disciples, I never thought Alexander was a serious candidate. And that actually bothered me. As some may have noticed from earlier conversations, I think crossing sub 5’11” corners off your board is supremely stupid.

But Alexander is a stud man cover cornerback. After Ward, he’s the guy in this draft that best fits what Pettine looks for. He makes so much sense, and I’m glad that they took care of corner in round 1 because I don’t think there will be many great options for the Packers in round 2.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but didn't see a draft thread. Sucks there is no more 3rd rounder, hopefully there's a way to get another 2nd tomorrow and still get some quality players. Not sure I'm sold on another injury prone CB.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but didn't see a draft thread. Sucks there is no more 3rd rounder, hopefully there's a way to get another 2nd tomorrow and still get some quality players. Not sure I'm sold on another injury prone CB.

I would be very surprised if Gute doesn’t move around more picks tomorrow. I could easily see us getting another 3rd with the many picks we have to work with.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

They own the top pick in the 4th and what, like 9 more picks after that? So they have all the ammunition you could want to get back up into the 3rd if they want a particular guy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don’t know if Alexander will struggle with injuries at the next level or not. But having one season in college where he struggled does not make him “injury prone.” Many, many prospects have individual seasons where they struggle with injuries. Had it been his freshman season instead of the most recent, no one is saying anything about it tonight.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
derwin james falls in their lap...but no. they shockingly trade down...then trade up. they panic and take alexander. so...a stud starter gets away and we end up with a what...a back up...maybe part time slot guy?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
derwin james falls in their lap...but no. they shockingly trade down...then trade up. they panic and take alexander. so...a stud starter gets away and we end up with a what...a back up...maybe part time slot guy?

Panic???

What part of their choice to move down and then up was “panic?”

This is such typical draft day trash. “They didn’t take the guy I wanted so it’s awful.”

As for Alexander maybe being a part time slot guy... lol. I’ll let him take care of that take.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All in all I am happy with the first round for the Packers. People won't see the total picture until next year, when the Packers use the Saints first rounder to keep building. While I would have prefered Edmunds or James over JA, I will take the end results happily.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All in all I am happy with the first round for the Packers. People won't see the total picture until next year, when the Packers use the Saints first rounder to keep building. While I would have prefered Edmunds or James over JA, I will take the end results happily.

I agree that Edmunds or James are better prospects than Alexander in a vacuum, though not by a huge margin. But given the Packers’ need at corner and the positional value, I’ll take Alexander and a 2019 1st round pick over Edmunds or James all day long.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panic???

What part of their choice to move down and then up was “panic?”

This is such typical draft day trash. “They didn’t take the guy I wanted so it’s awful.”

As for Alexander maybe being a part time slot guy... lol. I’ll let him take care of that take.
if he beats out king, williams, or house, and is an every down starter i'll take it back. lol...if they don't get him killed returning kicks.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He starts and plays well. I am ecstatic about the pick. But there is going to be a lot of pressure here. He will not only need to play above the standards of several guys we could have taken at 14 but also we will need a wr that plays better than martavious bryant.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As far as grading Gute on his first draft, I will give him an A- for pulling that double trade off. It goes to an A if he trades us back into the 3rd round with the help of that 5th round pick (#147) obtained from N.O.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
if he beats out king, williams, or house, and is an every down starter i'll take it back. lol

What if he’s a 70+% nickel as a rookie and then a starter the year after and following? Was it a bad pick then?

I could see him “starting” in base and then moving into the slot in sub packages.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts