Offensive Structure

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear what others believe will happen to the offense's play with the obvious loss of Favre.

Will they try running the ball with some authority, or atleast attempt to?

Will they trust AR's arm and keep the ball in the air?

Personally, I think its the WC offense so that's going to get played, but they'll give the running game a little more emphasis, with the little success they had the end of last season.

Just wondering what the consensus is amongst my fellow fans, because it's been a hot topic between my friends and family, as of late.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The plays will probably be about 50% run to 50 % pass in the beginning of the season.

Once A-Rod gets more comfortable, I could see us utilizing the passing game more.

I sure don't expect to see as many deep throws. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Less wow plays.. but less oh crap plays as well from the QB position.. a little more controlled offensive with Rodgers at the helm.

I think they might try to become a little more balanced with the run.. especially in 3rd and short type situations.. yes I do.. but I think they will try to continue with the quick rythmn passing attack.

Where I think we might suffer the most with Favre out of the backfield.. presnap adjustments and maybe a little less movement until Rodgers really settles in..

I can't wait to see how it plays out.. but I know there will be times that I will miss one of those Favre rocket type wows.. throwing the ball where few dare to throw it.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I would say we had more than a little success running at the end of the season. You will see balance. It won't be anything like the beginning of last season. We won't abandon the run.

However they aren't going to try to protect Rodgers or have him be just a game manager. I think we will be very aggressive with the passing game.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry folks, but Favre was not good at the deep ball. for some reason, everyone associates the fact that he could throw the ball really friggin' hard with an ability to throw the deep ball well. Don't get me wrong, Favre threw hard, but there's a lot more to the deep ball than velocity. Rodgers has excellent touch on the long ball. He's also much more patient than Brett. If anything, we will be more of a deep threat with Rodg than with Favre.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I'm sorry folks, but Favre was not good at the deep ball. for some reason, everyone associates the fact that he could throw the ball really friggin' hard with an ability to throw the deep ball well. Don't get me wrong, Favre threw hard, but there's a lot more to the deep ball than velocity. Rodgers has excellent touch on the long ball. He's also much more patient than Brett. If anything, we will be more of a deep threat with Rodg than with Favre.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Brett Favre have the record for most passes over 50 yards?

Also, in '07, he beat out Tom Brady for most completions over 40 yards.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack_Attack_Is_Back said:
Just wanted to hear what others believe will happen to the offense's play with the obvious loss of Favre.

Will they try running the ball with some authority, or atleast attempt to?

Will they trust AR's arm and keep the ball in the air?

Personally, I think its the WC offense so that's going to get played, but they'll give the running game a little more emphasis, with the little success they had the end of last season.

Just wondering what the consensus is amongst my fellow fans, because it's been a hot topic between my friends and family, as of late.

I think MM was being sincere when he said that he aimed to be 50/50 run/pass. He said his perfect game was 50+ runs.

He was aiming for this last year, but before Ryan Grant, we just didn't have any consistency on the ground.

Reaction score
Pack_Attack_Is_Back said:

Coach McCarthy discussed this issue a while back, and basically the jist of what he said is that he doesn't know how the throw/run ratio will work itself out.

That is because McCarthy said like he did with Favre, he will send in a pass/run option play to Rodgers, and then Aaron will have the option of deciding which one he wants to call based on what he sees in the defence.

I'm sure there will be plays where McCarthy exclusively sends in a 5 WR package, like he did at times with Favre last year, so that doesn't really make a difference as of right now, because we as fans have no real way of knowing how many more 5 wide packages McCarthy will run this year.

It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers is the type to run the ball more than Favre did when the pass/run option plays were sent in. There is also week-to-week differences in opposing D strengths that will also be a factor in deciding if the Pack emphasize the run or pass.

The season will reveal more of what our opponents deficiencies are on the D side.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same stuff in my opinion at least for the most part. Obviously we won't see any underhand flips in a middle of a snowstorm for a first down or at least I don't expect Rodgers to pull off some of those things but I think Green Bay is going to be a passing team first and foremost.

I think they'll throw 60% of the time and maybe more than that. I think you'll especially see this come Week 1. McCarthy is going to continue to attack through the air like usual. Look at the Dallas game for example. Favre was out but Rodgers came in and they still emptied the backfield and went 5 WR quite a few times.

Rodgers also showed pocket presence in the game and in the pre season. This leads me to believe that McCarthy will probably add a few plays where Rodgers is on the move especially in the red zone.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Brett Favre have the record for most passes over 50 yards?

I'm going to completely overstate the point here, so don't take this as me saying that Favre sucked... Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. He may have the most passes over 50 yards, but you have any idea what his success rate was? I don't, and i'd be interested to find out. But, it ain't gonna be good. I mean, it's just like some of his other records: he's played so long and so much that you can't expect him to not have that record. To shift gears, let's look at the interception record. He owns that record too, but has twice as many attempts as Blanda. It was bound to happen. In that same vein, if you throw it deep as many times as Favre, the receiver is going to come down with it a fair amount of the time. Favre kicks ***, we both know this, but even though he holds the record for long passes, doesn't mean he was particularly good at them. Rather, he did it a LOT, and that shows up in the record book.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Boot legs. Lots of them.

Bozz hates Favre.

To be honest, I'm surprised I've been able to keep that under wraps this long. I feel so liberated now that it's out in the open.

:lol:

It's ok. It really is.

(turns to Mrs. Z and tells her to scratch Bozz off the Christmas card list)

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bozz is right in a sense but I think he overstates the case in both posts. Favre was definitely not a bad deep ball thrower, he was quite good.

But if you would rank all the aspects of his game, the deep ball would not be very high. Relative to other strengths, it wasn't his specialty.

I agree that we don't lose the deep ball with Rodgers. With what we've seen, and what MM says, he has an upper-echelon NFL arm. Certainly he can't wing it quite as far as Favre, but Rodgers can throw deep.

Now what you'll miss with Rodgers are the long frozen ropes, especially the crazy ones when Brett was on the run, throwing across his body and across the field.

Brett was freakishly good at throwing deep (or across the field) on a line, and there's no way Rodgers is going to be as good at that. Whether this changes our playcalling, I don't know. I would guess that Favre's skill here was more about making amazing plays that others wouldn't dare, making something out of what would be nothing to other QBs, rather than something that influences playcalling. But I could be wrong about that.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the beginning of the season, I think MM will run alot of plays with 1 RB and 4 WR/TE combinations. I think it will allow Rodgers to have an easier time reading blitzs spreading the Defense out.

I would also expect GB to concentrate alot on screen passes in training camp. It is a staple of the WCO and GB did not execute it well last year. I would also expect a minimum of 75% of the passes to be under 15 yards.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the beginning of the season, I think MM will run alot of plays with 1 RB and 4 WR/TE combinations. I think it will allow Rodgers to have an easier time reading blitzs spreading the Defense out.

I would also expect GB to concentrate alot on screen passes in training camp. It is a staple of the WCO and GB did not execute it well last year. I would also expect a minimum of 75% of the passes to be under 15 yards.

i think if we could have gotten that screen pass going at all last year... we would have been the top offense in the league. We racked up yards last year... and a WR screen with our YAC monsters would net serious yards.

If we can develop that like its supposed to be run... we will be tough to handle.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there will be any major changes because of the change in QB's. The biggest differences will be within the plays, as they will tend to develop differently, with Rodgers scrambling more. I don't expect more screen passes, because those are among the most difficult throws for a young QB to make. I think there will be just as many deep throws, and possibly even more, as Rodgers will be able to keep plays alive for a bit longer than Favre could toward the end of his career.

What really matters is not the style of the offense, but rather, whether or not Rodgers is any good. Also, whether he can stay healthy. I don't think he's injury prone, but unlike Favre, he's not a man of steel. Like 99% of other QB's, he will miss games due to injury at least occasionally. If that happens, we'll see what Brohm can do.

FrozenTundra1979

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers can get the slants down I think we're going to see the second coming of the 49ers old WC offenses. IMHO the best thing for a new quarterback is short timed routes and quick easy decisions. I really don't see Rodgers having to scramble a whole lot or having to go deep. No defense can play our receiver sets man-to-man, so I don't see a need for a lot of deep balls. I want lots of slants and hitches, let the receivers work their magic, and I hope Rodgers has a better trust and understanding of that then Favre did on occasion. If we can keep a defense in nickel most the game because of our 3-5 wide sets, then we know the running game will bust a nut all over the field as well. I welcome the change that I believe Rodgers will bring to the field.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Probably. But how much of that is due to longevity?

Two reasons: 1) most of Brett's were shorter passes with lots of YAC, and 2) Brady has a noodle arm.

bozz is right. Brett's could throw a mile but his deep ball was never very accurate.

What the hell was this thread about again? Oh yeah, offensive structure. I think what we'll see is a truer representation of the WCO than we had with Brett. Aaron will have the green light to occasionally wing it downfield, but YAC will still be our bread and butter.

With the pass rush the NFC-N generates, the WCO is the best option for keeping Rodgers off his back, anyway.

We certainly haven't done anything this offseason that would lead me to believe we aren't still a pass-first offense.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers led team may resemble more of the Majkowski led Packer team of the early '90s but a lot better.

It will be exciting. It SHOULD be a pass first, with the receivers we have, short patterrns that set up the running game.

Can you imagine what Majkowski would have done with somebody else to throw to in addition to Sterling Sharpe?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Brady has a noodle arm.

Are you serious? Maybe I need to have my eyes adjusted or something. I've always thought that Brady has a very good arm.

I was under the same impression.

I used to argue with people all day that Brady was better than P Manning, and the reason why Brady doesn't have the stats Manning does is because Manning has always had an all-star cast surrounding him and Brady hasn't.

Now that Brady has an all-star cast, he proved me right. And yes, Brady can throw deep.

The other thing, it was said that Favre's passes deep in '07 were really YACs. Well, come on. In '07, don't you all remember all the deep passes Favre threw AND completed? Not all of them were YAC plays. A lot were actual long balls.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think if we could have gotten that screen pass going at all last year... we would have been the top offense in the league. We racked up yards last year... and a WR screen with our YAC monsters would net serious yards.

If we can develop that like its supposed to be run... we will be tough to handle.

My personal opinion, MM works his strengths. We only had one good screen RB, and that was Wynn. He went onto the IR, so that was that.

I think towards the end of the season, MM tried to develop B Jackson into a screen guy. It may happen in '08, or it may be Wynn again.

Herron is decent at screens, but he was injured as well. I don't even know if he'll be a Packer in '08.

Members online

Latest posts