Off Season so Far

Reaction score
Are you satisfied so far with all the talk on the Packers salary cap, possible free agent picks available, planning draft picks, all the new unproven coaches coming in?

Maybe it's me and hard to visualize the unknown but I guess we'll have to wait it out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s just talk and people can say whatever they want. Who cares until something actually happens. It’s the stuff you never hear about that is usually most important anyway

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The first transaction hasn't been even been made, so there's nothing to like or dislike about it. Chatter is what it is...chatter. We won't know anything concrete until free agency begins and the Packers start making moves.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm OK with the coaching changes but I can't say I'm jumping up and down with glee. LaFleur is promising but unproven as a head coach. It is wait and see.

As for possible free agency signings, it is the province of the chattering class, and the bigger the name the louder the chattering. I have opinions on what Gutekunst, et. al., should do which is what they evidently tried to do last offseason: pursue guys in their mid-20's (second contract or otherwise) which was Fuller being tendered and Robinson, Watkins and Mack being reported players of interest. In the end, it was Graham which looked like an expensive consolation prize.

One can name players until blue in the face, but until the FA period begins we don't know who will be re-signed or franchised elsewhere, compounded by an unusually high number of Packer vets on the re-sign and cut bubbles. Then there's the matter of who the Packers are able to sign among the available players, whether it's a matter of price or a disinclination to play in Green Bay or both.

******* the draft is futile at this point until at least the early phase of free agency. Needs can't be identified until then.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's an example of the chattering class at work on the prospect of the Packers trading for Antonio Brown:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=26041172

To his credit, Wilde encapsulates most of the the pros and cons, though the mentioned $35 mil cap number over 3 years is understated. For what it is worth, if a trade is made prior to the signing bonus coming due a few days into the league year it is more like $39 mil cap cost over 3 years. Further, the question of what must be given in trade is not menitioned until the very end: Wilde tossed out the #30 pick which sounds like a product of the echo chamber.

What wasn't discussed was the opportunity cost which is nearly always omitted in these discussions. If such a deal is done you have to ask the question of what other hole could you have filled with that cap space ($15 mil cap in 2019 if traded before the roster bonus comes due) and who could you draft at #30, if that's the cost, to fill another hole?

Opportunity cost is ommitted because you would set yourself for an order of magnitude greater complexity in evaluating the options. Then the video blog could go on for hours, get fans heads spinning, **** them off, and surrender future clicks.

If Gutekunst, et. al., have not already scratched Brown off the list on the basis of cost, age and/or attitude, you would expect some in depth internal discussions of those opportunity costs even if fans don't want to get into it. That's a lot of moving parts. Of course Gutekunst is privy to what the various other suspects agents are asking, what other offers are put on the table that he has to top, and how he sees the board at #30, all of which goes to opportunity costs with any possible signing, something about which we can only speculate (and which fans tend to underestimate). We should expect internal discussions to be quite lengthly and possibly contentious, be it Brown or some other expensive and/or controversial candidate.

Anyway, I doubt Pittsburgh will get a first round pick given the issues surrounding this player, particularly his desire to get these remaining 3 years fully guaranteed. The only person who knows what must be given up is Rooney or his delagate as the auction bids come in.

The other thing not mentioned is that if one trades for Brown and even gives him the guarantee, if he puts up another Pro Bowl caliber season he might well be coming back for more money in those last 2 years and if he doesn't get it unhappiness would ensues once again.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, I doubt Pittsburgh will get a first round pick given the issues surrounding this player, particularly his desire to get these remaining 3 years fully guaranteed. The only person who knows what must be given up is Rooney or his delagate as the auction bids come in
I'm not sold on the idea of bringing in Brown, for a variety of reasons.

But if the Packers do decide they want him, this is probably how it will go:
The Packers will probably offer their second round pick (#44), and they'll get beat out by some team who offered the 43rd pick.

I may not be sold on Brown, but this team needs some sort of lift.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers will probably offer their second round pick (#44), and they'll get beat out by some team who offered the 43rd pick.

I'm leaning towards no on Brown but it all depends on what it costs draft pick wise. In your scenario he goes to Detroit and I really don't want to see that either. Lets say the 41st pick. I don't want him in Cincinnati (#42) either so let Denver have him.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Brown, but I'd prefer we get ODB if we were to target a receiver. Much younger, and just as capable. And I think him and Adams would get along better than Bell and Adams personally.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Brown, but I'd prefer we get ODB if we were to target a receiver. Much younger, and just as capable. And I think him and Adams would get along better than Bell and Adams personally.
I'm no big fan of ODB either, but I'd rather have him than Brown.
I guess I'm just old fashioned, don't really like these loud mouth wide receivers. Maybe if we had a good one, I'd warm up to them.

H

HardRightEdge

The lift requires more than one player. Oh, but the sugar high of excitement it would bring! That wears off by week 4 when the real football begins.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think the first name of the Brown we should be targeting is John, not Antonio

Members online

Latest posts