Odell Beckham Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is reporting OBJ wants a multi-year deal right now? Everything I've seen is that he's looking to join a playoff team this year and will hit the open market for longer term deal in the offseason.
Maybe, but if he can get a big signing bonus; that would be very tempting to anyone.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe, but if he can get a big signing bonus; that would be very tempting to anyone.
I would think that such signing bonus would offset some of the Browns money he is due, so unless a team is offering a total salary package of more than that $4.5 M it shouldn't effect things, I could be wrong.

Captain brought up an interesting point. If a team shoves some of the money out into the future, are the Browns off the hook? Not sure, but really what OBJ is probably looking at, in regards to money, is what he ends up with, not who is paying it. Although, I'm sure he would love to stick it to the Browns.

I think that is a part of why he is delaying his decision to ponder his options. Does he go where there is more upfront money, but maybe not as good of playing situation? Or go to a team like Green Bay, for less money, but potentially a better playing situation and a possible shot at a SB ring?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A 4th or 5th rounder and assuming what's left of their contract. Most articles said there were 4 to 6. One TE was traded. It would have been a little out of character and it didn't happen. But MLF said Gutey was trying. Teams must have wanted a higher pick than GB and most writers figured they were worth or a pick and players.
As we are seeing with OBJ, as well as someone like Stephon Gilmore before the trade deadline, the Packers cap situation is hand cuffing them, not unlike many teams. So yes, it would have been nice to make a trade to improve our TE situation, grab a CB, a WR and DL. However, this isn't MLB or Fantasy Football, the Cap is in place, for a good reason and the Packers have put themselves up against it, preventing them from doing much, other than signing vets at minimum.

Whether they blow their final *** of cap space, which I think most have pegged at around $4-5M, will probably depend on a new deal with Adams.

Edit: Since when is the word "W*A*D" needing to be censored?

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I think his wife set a limit on how many posts he can do per day.
Whoa, whoa, whoa... I didn't think we were supposed to talk about gender anymore. You mean Captain's significant other limits screen time. Not from me @captainWIMM. Just clarifying.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that such signing bonus would offset some of the Browns money he is due, so unless a team is offering a total salary package of more than that $4.5 M it shouldn't effect things, I could be wrong.

Captain brought up an interesting point. If a team shoves some of the money out into the future, are the Browns off the hook? Not sure, but really what OBJ is probably looking at, in regards to money, is what he ends up with, not who is paying it. Although, I'm sure he would love to stick it to the Browns.

I think that is a part of why he is delaying his decision to ponder his options. Does he go where there is more upfront money, but maybe not as good of playing situation? Or go to a team like Green Bay, for less money, but potentially a better playing situation and a possible shot at a SB ring?
I mean if someone is going to offer him a long term contract...say 5 years. So much money would be involved that they could probably work out the $4.5M. Maybe that is what NE wants to do.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Maybe that is what NE wants to do.
Let them. I don't want OBJ for more than this half of a season. I think the move makes the Packers offense better, but I don't think it is make or break for a Super Bowl run.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mean if someone is going to offer him a long term contract...say 5 years. So much money would be involved that they could probably work out the $4.5M. Maybe that is what NE wants to do.
Could be. However, would you sign OBJ that long for a lot of money, especially given the uncertainty around him? Also, if you are OBJ and you know you still have great talent, but it was stifled in Cleveland, would you sign a long term deal that is far less than some of the top 20 WR's around the league are making?

I can see his pickle. Is he betting on himself and the team he signs with this season, in hopes to score a big contract in the offseason. Or does he take the security with a team that is up and coming like New England?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be. However, would you sign OBJ that long for a lot of money, especially given the uncertainty around him? Also, if you are OBJ and you know you still have great talent, but it was stifled in Cleveland, would you sign a long term deal that is far less than some of the top 20 WR's around the league are making?

I can see his pickle. Is he betting on himself and the team he signs with this season, in hopes to score a big contract in the offseason. Or does he take the security with a team that is up and coming like New England?
I think we made our offer. It makes sense that OBJ needs to think about it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let them. I don't want OBJ for more than this half of a season. I think the move makes the Packers offense better, but I don't think it is make or break for a Super Bowl run.
I think its about as cheap of an insurance policy as the Packers can get if Adams gets hurt. Now I know they have won all their games, except the last one, without Adams, but once you start playing top teams, every little bit helps.

Beyond the insurance policy of providing depth, I seriously think he could jump start this offense. Trying to cover Adams, OBJ, MVS, Jones and whoever they might also rotate into the slot of Cobb and Lazard. Someone mentioned playing Lazard in the TE spot, that might be a nice wrinkle too.

Bottom line, it is hard to imagine that OBJ decreases the effectiveness of this team, more than he helps it, especially in the Red Zone, where they suck this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we made our offer. It makes sense that OBJ needs to think about it.
He could also be hoping the Packers spice it up a bit, although I really don't know what they can spice it up with. They really offered him as much as they would want to, given their cap situation.

Now here would be the "shut the F*** up" moment of the day and perhaps the season. The Packers sit down with Rodgers, Adams and OBJ's agent and hammer out a deal that has all 3 of them in Green Bay next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now here would be the "shut the F*** up" moment of the day and perhaps the season. The Packers sit down with Rodgers, Adams and OBJ's agent and hammer out a deal that has all 3 of them in Green Bay next season.

Quoting myself, because I have been giving this a lot of thought. If OBJ makes sense right now for teams, why wouldn't he make sense next season too? Obviously, the Packers have cap issues, so for them it might be a moot point. However, someone like Belichick has a better cap situation in 2022, so why wouldn't he try to lock up OBJ for an additional season or 2?

All comes down to what teams think OBJ is worth, how sure they are of that (guaranteed money) and for how long. Then OBJ has to decide between security VS opportunity.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: Since when is the word "W*A*D" needing to be censored?
After viewing the thousand + words and phrases on the censored list, it can be summarized as containing any word that potentially can refer to anything related to "adult entertainment" and many of the common variant spelling work arounds to those terms. Playground terms for body parts, illegal pharmaceuticals [US], consensual and non-consensual activities sans clothing. I recall the word S-E-X was on it earlier.
@Shaggy threw the censorship in during the upgrade to appease the people that pay for this site.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After viewing the thousand + words and phrases on the censored list, it can be summarized as containing any word that potentially can refer to anything related to "adult entertainment" and many of the common variant spelling work arounds to those terms. Playground terms for body parts, illegal pharmaceuticals [US], consensual and non-consensual activities sans clothing. I recall the word S-E-X was on it earlier.
@Shaggy threw the censorship in during the upgrade to appease the people that pay for this site.
Got ya and I guess I was kind of using it in....well....an "adult entertainment" kind of context, so it works. If I say something like "Wow the Packers used a *** of cash on that player", I wonder if its smart enough to allow that? Finding out after I hit SEND.

EDIT: I have my ****ing answer! :roflmao:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is no big deals. Surprised balls isn’t censored tho

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Supposedly Lil Wayne spoke with Odell yesterday and got the sense it was either Packers or Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts