Now What do the Packers do?

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Aaron Rodgers, man.... That kid has had the worst luck. I feel so bad for him. As soon as Favre retired, of course I was upset, but I looked toward the future and really stood behind A-Rod.

Now... I love Brett Favre. The man is a football god. I know that he is one of the greatest players to ever touch the field. This situation reminds me a lot of Michael Jordan. At what point does this turn into a Michael Jordan situation and at what point will everyone finally be content with Brett Favre retiring?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
You dont like ARod at all :D

Actually I think he might be the most productive Tedford product to come into the pros when it is all said an done.. but that doesn't change the idea that he should have to earn the right to start does it?

We as a country get caught up in the idea of entitlement.. IMO.. a person should have to earn their place in the workforce, society and history.. not have it handed to you because you have waited your turn.. screw that.. if you want it, man up and earn it.

I can see it now..

"Oh poor pitiful me, I have practiced for three years really hard, and haven't gotten to play, it's not fair, I have earned the right to start.. and if you don't like it and don't jump on the bandwagon.. then just shut up!"

I am glad and proud Aaron hasn't played those games, but if all this talk escalates and he pulls some kind of number as that.. well then, does he sound like the type of gent you want leading your team?

On the flip side, if Favre gets all worked up about competing for his starting job or whines if he gets beat out.. then his time as the leader here is past.

They are grown men.. not prima donas that have fragile egos.. act like a man and buck up.. having both compete for the job is the best thing for the 08' Packers.. and if they can act like team players.. for the long term future of the franchise as well.

We rip the likes of Walker, TO and Moss for their candyass attitudes.. being entitled.. well Arod and Brett act the opposite in this case.. for the best of the Packers if need be..

Oh.. and I don't think Brohm is ready to start this year.. just an example. :lol:

its kinda Catch 22 though, like how can ARod earn a starting place with Brett there? He cant prove hes the man until he gets that chance. You get chances in this world through preparation and diligence and you have to agree that ARod has done everything he could to be ready (injuries aside :D).

To be honest tho, i just dont think TC is an even basis for competition at Quarterback. You have to pick a guy and then give him the reps. You can quarantee that if MM takes AR, BB and MF to camp the breakdown wont be 33,33,33 percent. Theres just so little time :(

Itd totally kickass is Brohm was some kind of superstar tho, imagine having the three best QB's in the NFC North all on one team :D

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
To be honest tho, i just dont think TC is an even basis for competition at Quarterback. You have to pick a guy and then give him the reps. You can quarantee that if MM takes AR, BB and MF to camp the breakdown wont be 33,33,33 percent. Theres just so little time :(

Sure the reps can't be competely equal, but your performance within your percentage of snaps or reps should speak more loudly than your quanity of reps... the better you perform, the more time you get.. so far in three years, Arod has closed the gap, but still hasn't taken the reigns.

Additionally.. it shouldn't be a fair fight.. Arod has had all 1st team snaps this offseason and should be way ahead of Brett if they started camp now.. so it should be even a closer competition or so to speak Arod should have an advantage in the very least. He has gotten in rythmn with the other players, timing, changes and such..

Let the youngster beat out the old man.. :lol:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be terribly surprised if Favre comes back. But I'll tell you what, after choosing to retire, this is just wrong of him. In contrast to what Bonita said, the word I hear in GB is both McCarthy and Thompson wanted him back but they wanted the retirement circus to stop. It was Brett who said he had enough. Now stick to your word. Irv Favre would not be happy with his son for behaving like this.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be terribly surprised if Favre comes back. But I'll tell you what, after choosing to retire, this is just wrong of him. In contrast to what Bonita said, the word I hear in GB is both McCarthy and Thompson wanted him back but they wanted the retirement circus to stop. It was Brett who said he had enough. Now stick to your word. Irv Favre would not be happy with his son for behaving like this.

im actually disappointed Brett hasnt been telling Bus Cook to let him speak for himself. This circus is even more painful than reading Pacman or Spygate stories every day :D

Toddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre does come back (that's a big 'if') then let him and Rodgers compete for the starting spot. If Favre proves that he still has it and beats A-Rod for the spot then trade Rodgers. I would hate to see Rodgers sitting on the pine for another season or so, let him be the starter somewhere. Anyway, if Favre does come back I would rather have him and Brohm instead of Rodgers and Brohm or even all three.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever the Packers do, I hope that they don't make the biggest mistake ever and release him. If they do, I will almost bet anything will be seeing him as an opponent twice a year in the NFC North with either Chicago or Minny - either one makes my stomach turn over and over....

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever the Packers do, I hope that they don't make the biggest mistake ever and release him. If they do, I will almost bet anything will be seeing him as an opponent twice a year in the NFC North with either Chicago or Minny - either one makes my stomach turn over and over....
If that happened I think my head would explode.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
If that happened I think my head would explode.

You can almost bank on it if the Pack release him...in my view, that would be the biggest mistake ever. I would think they would have enough sense to either allow him back or trade him. Releasing Favre shouldn't even be an option.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows how this soap opera will turn out? The only good thing about it is we've got something to rant and rave about until our boys get back to camp. I'd rather have had something else to opine about, though. No one will earn a medal when this is finally settled. How can MM and TT be enjoying their vacations now? They've got to be avoiding the public full-time. I'm glad MM and his wife can now look forward to the baby coming.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was on record 4 years ago (after 4th and 26) saying that I didn't think Favre could get to another SB. I'm not saying that I blamed him for that loss, either, but he certainly was a factor as was he in the loss to the Giants with plenty of opportunities to put the game away and with the weapons to do it.

There's been enough written about Thompson neglecting to "beg" Favre into staying that there probably is something to it. Maybe in Thompson's view, Rodgers could have beaten the Giants and then, perhaps, the Patriots with some experience under his belt. Favre didn't exactly light up the last 7 games of the season going 4-3 and throwing 9 touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

There is no perfect solution to this situation if it is indeed true that Favre wants to play and I think he does, albeit not necessarily for the Packers as it has been reported. I'm one Packer fan that would forgive the Packers for getting some value from Favre and trading him to another team. There are too many comments that Favre has made over the last several years that still may indicate that, while he still has the drive to win, he may not have the mental stamina. In other words, with the game on the line, he may not want the ball.

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's been enough written about Thompson neglecting to "beg" Favre into staying that there probably is something to it. Maybe in Thompson's view, Rodgers could have beaten the Giants and then, perhaps, the Patriots with some experience under his belt. Favre didn't exactly light up the last 7 games of the season going 4-3 and throwing 9 touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

Now Brett is the reason why I'm a GB fan but I have to admit: That's exactly what I thought when they lost that game. It seemed to me like Brett had some issues with the big games last season. Specifically Dallas and NY. It was like he tried too hard.

Oh, and I voted that they should fight for it. If he is actually coming back I think it's a terrible move. Putting your franchise for 17 years and A-rod in such a position is somewhat egoistic. He shouldn't have retired if he was in doubt about wanting to play or not, because if you're in doubt you probably want to play at season start.

With that said I think and sorta hope that Brett stays retired, for his sake and for the sake of the Packers.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading the PFT comments on the over abundance of Favre unretirement stories, this one made my day:

brauneyz says:

“Its kind of ludacris talking about the Packers not wanting him though.”

I don’t think Ludacris could beat out Brett for the job, though. LOL!

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what if Brett restructured his contract to play again? would that change anyone's mind? He could get like 5mil for the final 2 yrs of his deal and maybe put a big bonus for going to the Super Bowl.

A move like that would show me he really wants to play again.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd support Favre's return if Favre agrees to share time with Rodgers and allows Rodgers to slowly get into games over the season. Otherwise, I'd prefer Favre to stay put where he is.

There's no winners from this debacle. Someone's gonna look bad, either Favre for MJ'ing his career or the Packers for running their (the?) best QB ever out of town.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know who brought out the holy oil and made Arod the second coming of Christ. I've seen every game that this kid played as a pro and he didn't impress me to the point of him ever being able to carry a team the way Brett did. As the old saying goes "Be careful what you wish for" really comes into play here. I think arod won't make it through any complete season without injury and Brett has done nothing but gave his heart and soul to a game he loves. I can't believe their is even a question on who should lead this team if Brett chooses to return.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know who brought out the holy oil and made Arod the second coming of Christ. I've seen every game that this kid played as a pro and he didn't impress me to the point of him ever being able to carry a team the way Brett did. As the old saying goes "Be careful what you wish for" really comes into play here. I think arod won't make it through any complete season without injury and Brett has done nothing but gave his heart and soul to a game he loves. I can't believe their is even a question on who should lead this team if Brett chooses to return.

Thats all well and good but its not fair of Favre to hold the Packers to ransom, if he said he was staying on then TT could have spent the draft picks on Brohm and Flynn on someone else. You have to think of the future also and eventually someone will have to succeed Favre so the Packers can remain successful not only in 1-2 years time but 5-10 years down the road.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson is continuously praised here for taking the best player available.

So why now am I hearing all this stuff about how Brett's retirement impacted our draft strategy? We aren't switching our offense so we still want the same type of players.

Nelson was an obscure player whom Thompson obviously rated higher than other franchises.

Brohm was a value pick that we would have done anyway. Why not? Wolf would have, and TT is in his mold.

At most you're saying we wouldn't have taken Flynn because that would have given us too many QBs, and even that is far from certain. So at the most you're saying we spent a late rounder on a developmental QB, which we may have done anyway for the practice squad.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Intersting that 77% of this forum community would NOT put Favre automatically back in as the starter. I wonder if Favre and company is gauging his comeback plan on leaked "rumors". Politics is everywhere.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

So why now am I hearing all this stuff about how Brett's retirement impacted our draft strategy? We aren't switching our offense so we still want the same type of players.

Nelson was an obscure player whom Thompson obviously rated higher than other franchises.

Brohm was a value pick that we would have done anyway. Why not? Wolf would have, and TT is in his mold.

At most you're saying we wouldn't have taken Flynn because that would have given us too many QBs, and even that is far from certain. So at the most you're saying we spent a late rounder on a developmental QB, which we may have done anyway for the practice squad.

BINGO!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

It's not that easy of a decision. Favre is a 38 year old veteran. Rodgers is 24 or 25. Ted Thompson has always leaned towards youth so of course Rodgers probably fits into his image of the team more than Favre right now. Then again that's just speculation. I don't know.

You have to look at it from both perspectives. Nobody can blame Favre for wanting to play. He'll always want to play. Favre might of made a decision a little early and acted on emotions instead of taking his time and thinking things through. We've all done that. People telling him to shut up and stay retire need to remember it's his life.

However, Ted Thompson has built this team. He's the executive of the year and he's the guy in charge. If Ted Thompson truly believes that Aaron Rodgers is going to be the next great QB in this league and a lot of insiders say he does, then taking Favre back isn't a sure thing.

Disagree with Thompson on Rodgers but remember that Thompson has done a great job so far. Either way if these rumors are true then your looking at the make or break move of his career. This is one tough decision but I'm just going with the benefit of the doubt on this one. Not much else you can do.

Irony here is PFT brought up that if the Packers bring back Favre then maybe Jason Taylor is in play once again. If that's the case then I think that adds a little more to this decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts