Now What do the Packers do?

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that everything seems to be out there amid the many different reports...what does everyone here think the Packers should do about Favre?

Per PFT.com:

The Packers placed Favre on the reserve/retired list on April 25, but Favre can request that the team activate him from the list, in which case the team would either need to put him on the active roster, trade him, or cut him.

An ultimatum if Favre decides that he definitely wants to play. This topic is up just to see what your opinions would be if Favre decides wholeheartedly that he wants to play again. Only speculation.

In my opinion, the best option for the Packers would be to trade him to an AFC team (Baltimore?, Jets?). This would give us more talent to replace Favre and plan for the future. Of course, this would create a lot of tension between Packer fans and the front office, but this has happened before with the likes of Montana, Marino, Jordan, Bonds, etc. If Favre does well and Rodgers struggles....ugh.

Let's hear the Packerforum opinions.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Easy decision for me if I am TT and MM... bring Favre in, explain that he is welcomed back to challenge for the starting QB spot and go into camp with the attitude best man wins..

If either balk at being second fiddle for the best of the team.. then they are not the team players I want on our team and I cut the cord with either... the trade market for a starting QB in this league is quit profitable from a franchises standpoint..

Pure as the game should be.. the best player for the job.. takes the job.. no hand outs to be given. Favre shouldn't be handed the starting slot nor Rodgers should be deemed starter because he couldn't beat Favre out for the past couple of years..

Every player in my book has the right to prove to themselves that it is over on the field.. IE they can't earn the right to start or play.. and Favre after 17 years deserves the right to try and earn the starting slot.. IMO.

Pack93z

Reaction score
can you add an option....

e. punch Chris Mortensen in the mouth.

Then flip him over and kick him in the ***. For good measure.. have TT send a memo to ESPN.. your reporters are not welcome in Titletown...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy decision for me if I am TT and MM... bring Favre in, explain that he is welcomed back to challenge for the starting QB spot and go into camp with the attitude best man wins..

If either balk at being second fiddle for the best of the team.. then they are not the team players on want on my team and I cut the cord with either... the trade market for a starting QB in this league is quit profitable from a franchises standpoint..

Pure as the game should be.. the best player for the job.. takes the job.. no hand outs to be given. Favre shouldn't be handed the starting slot nor Rodgers should be deemed starter because he couldn't beat Favre out for the past couple of years..

Every player in my book has the right to prove to themselves that it is over on the field.. IE they can't earn the right to start or play.. and Favre after 17 years deserves the right to try and earn the starting slot.. IMO.

Although we now know this is a non-issue, what you wrote was brilliant.

OP
OP
W

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can you add an option....

e. punch Chris Mortensen in the mouth.

I know what you guys are thinking, but the Press-Gazette came out with some more details on this. I believe some of these reports have validity to them.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a good quote in the Wisconsin State Journal today:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/294442
The Packers don't want him back at this point, yet they can't release him and let him go to another team without creating a public-relations nightmare.

Think about it. What would the reaction be if Favre came to Lambeau Field for the regular-season opener as the quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings?

If he came into Lambeau and beat the Packers — with the Vikings or any other team — there wouldn't be enough tar and feathers in Wisconsin for Thompson and McCarthy.

It's possible the Packers could trade Favre to some team they don't play. However, what would happen if the unproven Rodgers failed while Favre was playing well somewhere else?

Simply put, if Fav-re decides he wants to come back, then it will end badly for all involved.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre after 17 years deserves the right to try and earn the starting slot.. IMO.

does Arod have to wait 17 years on the bench before he deserves his spot? :D

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Favre after 17 years deserves the right to try and earn the starting slot.. IMO.

does Arod have to wait 17 years on the bench before he deserves his spot? :D

After 17 years as the starter AND a very good year last year, Favre deserves to enter camp as the starter.

If Arod can't prove he is better than the starter after 17yrs then yes, he deserves the bench.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only see two options IF it goes this far.

Trade Aaron Rodgers and let Favre play and develop Brian Brohm.

Trade Favre and let Aaron Rodgers play.

I really don't think it's going to come to this. I think Favre is retired. Of course he's going to get the itch to play again. Dan Marino almost played for the Vikings. Troy Aikman said he was all set to return to football if the other team went through with it but they backed out. Mooch said Young wanted to keep playing.

My point is

Like all those guys, Favre will want to play again but like all those guys, Favre will stay retired.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I really don't think it's going to come to this. I think Favre is retired. Of course he's going to get the itch to play again. Dan Marino almost played for the Vikings. Troy Aikman said he was all set to return to football if the other team went through with it but they backed out. Mooch said Young wanted to keep playing.

My point is

Like all those guys, Favre will want to play again but like all those guys, Favre will stay retired.

Troy and Steve were basically physically unable to play anymore, as was Danny..

BIG DIFFERENCE

It might get ugly REAL FAST ;)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

My point is

Troy and Steve were basically physically unable to play anymore, as was Danny..

BIG DIFFERENCE

It might get ugly REAL FAST ;)

Young was but I believe Aikman was cleared to play.

Marino certainly wasn't physically unable to perform. His last game was a complete blowout against the Jaguars in the playoffs so the similarities are there. Now none of them are as good as Favre last year but they all wanted too play.

None the less my point isn't Favre can still play. We know that. My point is, Favre will always want to play. When he's 80 years old he'll want to play football.

Pack93z

Reaction score
After 17 years as the starter AND a very good year last year, Favre deserves to enter camp as the starter.

If Arod can't prove he is better than the starter after 17yrs then yes, he deserves the bench.

Tripp.. IMO he gave that right, the named starter going into camp when he retired.. unless there is more happening inside the offices of 1265 Lombardi then all parties have denied (IE a deeper reason Brett retired, which he has said their wasn't), then to me it is an open competition going into camp.

*EDIT* Reason why he loses that distinction.. this offseason was prepped with Rodgers being the starter, the offense probably was tailored a little different, the playbook altered to assist Rodgers developement.. to just kind of throw that aside isn't as simple as such.. it isn't like we went out and brought a HOF player in.. he left and now if these rumors have any bearing; wants to come back.. the very least he should be asked to do is earn his starting spot back. IMO.

But really.. what is the real value of a depth chart going into camp.. not much.. Players earn playing time in camp and solidify their spot in said camp.. nothing more than a ego thing IMO.

BTW.. I would love to see #4 in camp.. for the same reason as stated above.. make Rodgers earn it on the field, starter that is. We do this with everyother spot on the team.. the best player for the TEAM starts.. why should QB be any different?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

Tripp.. IMO he gave that right, the named starter going into camp when he retired.. unless there is more happening inside the offices of 1265 Lombardi then all parties have denied (IE a deeper reason Brett retired, which he has said their wasn't), then to me it is an open competition going into camp.

*EDIT* Reason why he loses that distinction.. this offseason was prepped with Rodgers being the starter, the offense probably was tailored a little different, the playbook altered to assist Rodgers developement.. to just kind of throw that aside isn't as simple as such.. it isn't like we went out and brought a HOF player in.. he left and now if these rumors have any bearing; wants to come back.. the very least he should be asked to do is earn his starting spot back. IMO.

But really.. what is the real value of a depth chart going into camp.. not much.. Players earn playing time in camp and solidify their spot in said camp.. nothing more than a ego thing IMO.

BTW.. I would love to see #4 in camp.. for the same reason as stated above.. make Rodgers earn it on the field, starter that is. We do this with everyother spot on the team.. the best player for the TEAM starts.. why should QB be any different?

the think is though.. training camp battles dont happen under MM, you simply cant halve the reps QBs need in MM's system. If Favre comes back hes either the starter from day 1 of TC or hes gonna be the backup...and i really dont think he'll come back just to be a backup.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points Pack, changing the offense would be an adjustment.

I also don't see Favre wanting to go to antoher team and learning their playbook all over. That is the very reason he retired. He didn'twant all the bookwark that was associated with prepping for games much less elarning a new system.

Reccemendation: Bring him in a a coach.

Pack93z

Reaction score
the think is though.. training camp battles dont happen under MM, you simply cant halve the reps QBs need in MM's system. If Favre comes back hes either the starter from day 1 of TC or hes gonna be the backup...and i really dont think he'll come back just to be a backup.

So your saying.. Favre says in MS, Brohm comes into camp and walks all over Rodgers in drills, preseason play and such.. that Aaron holds his starter job no matter what? We treat QB's in general with white gloves.. which I say is BS.. no player takes those final steps of maturing as a player until he hits the playing field in a game.. and at everyother position known to the game of football, you have to earn your starting spot.. no hand me jobs.. if someone is better behind you.. they play. Case closed.

So why should the position of QB be any different? The annointed starter should retain his job unless he earns it.. that is why the Jacksonville move last year was excellent. Leftwich couldn't hold unto his spot.. then developed a I am intitled attitude.. and he was shown the door.. no pissing around.. released be on your way.

It seems that this staff in Green Bay is open to playing the best player available to do the job required.. regardless of tenure, draft pick or depth chart.. so why in the hell would we want anything different from the QB spot? Whether that is Favre, Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn or for the heck of it, some waiver wire cut late in training camp... prove you can do the job, succeed at said job and have fun playing on of the best sports on the planet.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Hmmm an alternate idea..

Trade Rodgers for fair value.. have Brett assure that he will honor out his contract without the circus and get Brohm ready to play in the mean time..

If you could frisk out a young above average DL, CB or G and a conditional pick or two for Rodgers.. might be a suitable solution as well if this gains any more legs.

Either that or end the media BS.. by reupping Rodgers with a healthy deal if you are completely sold on the idea of him leading this team for years to come.. the media won't have any question on the Packers committment to Rodgers in that case.. risky but ends the circus that this offseason is becomming.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm an alternate idea..

Trade Rodgers for fair value.. have Brett assure that he will honor out his contract without the circus and get Brohm ready to play in the mean time..

If you could frisk out a young above average DL, CB or G and a conditional pick or two for Rodgers.. might be a suitable solution as well if this gains any more legs.

Either that or end the media BS.. by reupping Rodgers with a healthy deal if you are completely sold on the idea of him leading this team for years to come.. the media won't have any question on the Packers committment to Rodgers in that case.. risky but ends the circus that this offseason is becomming.

You dont like ARod at all :D

TC reps are so limited, i really dont think Brohm could threaten ARod's spot no matter what he does. He'd be just like ARod was in his first season, if not worse. I understand what you are saying in theory and that hard work and excellence should be rewarded. But ARod has been doing this behind the scenes for 3 years now and he deservers his chance.

Pack93z

Reaction score
You dont like ARod at all :D

Actually I think he might be the most productive Tedford product to come into the pros when it is all said an done.. but that doesn't change the idea that he should have to earn the right to start does it?

We as a country get caught up in the idea of entitlement.. IMO.. a person should have to earn their place in the workforce, society and history.. not have it handed to you because you have waited your turn.. screw that.. if you want it, man up and earn it.

I can see it now..

"Oh poor pitiful me, I have practiced for three years really hard, and haven't gotten to play, it's not fair, I have earned the right to start.. and if you don't like it and don't jump on the bandwagon.. then just shut up!"

I am glad and proud Aaron hasn't played those games, but if all this talk escalates and he pulls some kind of number as that.. well then, does he sound like the type of gent you want leading your team?

On the flip side, if Favre gets all worked up about competing for his starting job or whines if he gets beat out.. then his time as the leader here is past.

They are grown men.. not prima donas that have fragile egos.. act like a man and buck up.. having both compete for the job is the best thing for the 08' Packers.. and if they can act like team players.. for the long term future of the franchise as well.

We rip the likes of Walker, TO and Moss for their candyass attitudes.. being entitled.. well Arod and Brett act the opposite in this case.. for the best of the Packers if need be..

Oh.. and I don't think Brohm is ready to start this year.. just an example. :lol:

Pack93z

Reaction score
Oh Zombie.. I agree.. this is all just media hype.. if Brett comes in front of the camera and says.. I WANT TO PLAY.. then I believe it.. otherwise.. just audio eargum and something to keep this forum jumpin in the pits of the offseason. ;)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, Aikman had 9 concussions, and was strongly advised not to play. I do not know if he was CLEARED to play, but I know he was advised not to.

Pack93z

Reaction score
porky88 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Aikman had 9 concussions, and was strongly advised not to play. I do not know if he was CLEARED to play, but I know he was advised not to.

Not sure about the amount of concussions.. but my memory aligns here.. he was strongly advised not to play.. and backed out on those concerns..

Reaction score

If either balk at being second fiddle for the best of the team.. then they are not the team players I want on our team and I cut the cord with either... the trade market for a starting QB in this league is quit profitable from a franchises standpoint..

Terrific post. I myself voted for the second option (let Brett and Aaron compete).

But if push came to shove, even though I'd think less of Brett for coming back, I'd still have him be the odds on favourite to be the starter. The experience itself would be invaluable, and considering that Brett has developed chemistry with Greg and Donald, that'd give him an advantage over Rodgers too.

Basically, while I'd want there to be an open competition, I can't imagine a scenario where Aaron beats out Brett to be a starter. Even besides the PR problems such an occurence would pose for the Pack, I have to think Brett would have an advantage over Aaron in almost all categories (minus speed maybe accuracy). Experience, power, ability to make things happen out of nothing, etc. are all things Favre is better at than Aaron at the moment.

(not to say Aaron will never be better at them than Favre)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Zombie.. I agree.. this is all just media hype.. if Brett comes in front of the camera and says.. I WANT TO PLAY.. then I believe it.. otherwise.. just audio eargum and something to keep this forum jumpin in the pits of the offseason. ;)

The thing is, certain elements in the media are so in love with Favre, that if he said that he wants to be a painter, they'll already start comparing him to Pablo Picasso.

So pretty much anything Favre says, the media whips out a mic. And we all know Favre loves to flap his gums.

Nothing wrong with that of course. That's something we love about Favre - he speaks his mind and he's human.

Members online

Latest posts