NFL Team in London?

Malachor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Packers fan from Scotland and have been to a few of the London games.

I'm against an NFL team in London. It would be a logistical nightmare for teams and I just don't think there is the support to sustain it. At the moment the games are very much a novelty. When you go to the games you notice that 80-90% of fans attending are wearing jerseys of teams that aren't actually playing. People are just going for the event, to experience an NFL game. The tickets I've bought in the past do not constitute a potential fan of the London Jaguars (or whatever). For a start I'm Scottish so am not going to support a London team. But more importantly I'm a Packers fan - why would I want to switch? I get the feeling this is the case for a lot of UK fans - certainly is for the five guys I watch NFL with every Sunday. (Incidentally I think this may also be an issue, possibly to a lesser extent, for an LA team)

Last time I took my wife and son to an NFL game it cost around £1500 after hotels, flights etc. I wouldn't do that more than once a year for a made up London team.

The commissioner has to realise the novelty factor at play here. He should also realise that part of the allure for many UK fans is the "Americaness" of the NFL. A London team would dilute that brand.

If this UK NFL fan got a vote on a London team it would be a firm no. But as others have said, I think the lure of money may swing it the other way.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This won't happen! Ratings for the 8 a.m. ET start will be down once it becomes a thing, why? 1.) Religion is important to a lot of people and some religions do not have Saturday night services. 2.) Who wants to get up at 7 a.m. on a Sunday to see their football team play, they would rather be asleep for another 3 hours!
If I am going to a noon game I am leaving the house at 7

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Haven't read the whole thread, but buggybill, I'd like your thoughts on how the games in London have been received/gone over this season.

I apologise for the delay in replying. The NFL games are received VERY well indeed, every year, but they also work out expensive so are more of a treat than the norm. The financial problems alone wouldn`t make it a financially viable option, but I`d fight tooth and nail to see that the annual games are kept, AND to see a chance to see the Packers play at Wembley. I am not against, as somebody said before, games played in Scotland too though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This won't happen! Ratings for the 8 a.m. ET start will be down once it becomes a thing, why? 1.) Religion is important to a lot of people and some religions do not have Saturday night services. 2.) Who wants to get up at 7 a.m. on a Sunday to see their football team play, they would rather be asleep for another 3 hours!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd love to get up and immediately watch my team. I enjoyed getting up and watching a the Lions and Falcons even.

Skips the pregame shows and goes right to football.

I

:tup: No offence intended

Last edited by a moderator:

Fwoodpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a Packers fan living in Lancashire (250 miles from London). I have been to very every International Series game so far and really enjoy the spectacle.
If there was a UK / London team I’m sure I would manage to go to a few of the games but would have issues with getting time off work, expense of staying over in London (can’t get back home after the evening games). I think this may impact a lot of the potential ‘London fans’ that the NFL are expecting.
Another issue as stated on this thread is that the majority of the people attending the IS games have their own team anyway and would follow a London franchise as a second team only. This would probably lead to reduced attendances as the novelty factor wears off.
As for the logistics – division, schedule, bye weeks, travel etc can’t really comment although I would imagine they could be worked around one way or another.
Keep things as they are I reckon, why change something that isn’t broken !!
Nb. Off to Wembley at the weekend to abuse Romo (if playing) and the Cowboys !!, then more importantly first trip to Lambeau in December :)

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
incorrect, teams prepare 9 months in advance and send stuff over on a boat, according to a recent report, in august. This would be an issue for playoffs
Why would they send what they already pack every week into a plane by boat? if there was a Team in London I would assume they would have two facilities, one here and one over there. Again another factor that will play into it and my guess would be the team would be subsidized for these things initially.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would they send what they already pack every week into a plane by boat? if there was a Team in London I would assume they would have two facilities, one here and one over there. Again another factor that will play into it and my guess would be the team would be subsidized for these things initially.

31 other teams are going to keep stuff in london? No I dont see that happening

D

Deleted member 6794

The NFL has informed teams if they want to host Super Bowl in the future they have to give up home games to play in London.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would they send what they already pack every week into a plane by boat?.................
My guess is customs? My employer ordered a stainless steel chamber about 3'X3'X2', madeup of 2" thick plates from the OEM in Denmark last Spring. Last we heard they have been stateside for a few weeks now and we hope they clear customs before we need them in late December.

I

My guess is customs? My employer ordered a stainless steel chamber about 3'X3'X2', madeup of 2" thick plates from the OEM in Denmark last Spring. Last we heard they have been stateside for a few weeks now and we hope they clear customs before we need them in late December.

That would screw up the x-ray machines for certain.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are so many things that need to be worked out for this to happen, I just don't see it happening in the immediate time frame given by the NFL.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
working for a freight forwarding company myself, customs shouldn't pose any problems. any goods the teams take with them would be allowed straight through on arrival, and any goods that were sent ahead as freight whether by air or sea would be classed as a temporary import, therefore only take a day or two at most to clear customs. the only issue would be if any goods are going to stay in the UK or possibly be sold here, then taxes and duty etc start to apply.

if your chamber is still not customs cleared after three weeks of being in country, your employer needs a new freight forwarder, i could suggest one for you lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts