Packers remain only team not to play in London

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The NFL announced the London games for the 2019 season and the Packers won't play in the UK once again. With the Panthers and Texans coming to Europe next season Green Bay remains the only team in the league not having played overseas.

While I fully understand that most American fans aren't in favor of it and I would never advocate for the Packers to give up a home game at Lambeau there's reason for European fans like myself to be disappointed about it.

Especially as when connecting the dots it seems Murphy blocked the team from playing in London in '19 although publicly expressing that he would be fine with it.

Let me explain why I get that impression. The Chargers were one of four teams announced to host a game in London in December with them being the only team hosting the Packers next season.

Yet the Chargers aren't going to play in Britain next year but will play a home game against their divisional rival Chiefs in Mexico City.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing the Chargers preferred to give up a home game against their rivals who nearly made it to the Super Bowl instead of playing the Packers at London.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They’ll get there one day. I was kind of hoping for this fall. My wife and I are planning a trip, and a little European vacation with a short stop in London for a Packer game was on my short list.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

They’ll get there one day. I was kind of hoping for this fall. My wife and I are planning a trip, and a little European vacation with a short stop in London for a Packer game was on my short list.

I highly doubt the Packers will ever play in London as long as Murphy is in charge of the team as it seems to me the league allows him to block it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder why Murphy is the only guy who doesn't even want a road game in London, and 31 other guys are OK with it?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder why Murphy is the only guy who doesn't even want a road game in London, and 31 other guys are OK with it?
holding out for more money? I would. The Packers aren't just a blip on the economic radar of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Much like the Packers would have folded without the city long ago, I think the city would have folded in more recent times had it not been for the Packers being in town. Not that it would cease to exist, but it would look much differently. These games are huge to the city and the people that live there.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
holding out for more money? I would. The Packers aren't just a blip on the economic radar of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Much like the Packers would have folded without the city long ago, I think the city would have folded in more recent times had it not been for the Packers being in town. Not that it would cease to exist, but it would look much differently. These games are huge to the city and the people that live there.

Absolutely, the Packers should never give up a home game. I was talking about a road game though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If by exhibition you mean preseason... yeah me too lol.
I did or maybe we could have a "Pre-Family Night" scrimmage over there? ;)

I'm mostly joking around here. If the venture into London is successful, than I see why the NFL is doing it. However, I do agree that if there are enough teams that are willing to use that game as a home game and due to the negative financial impacts on the City of Green Bay, the Packers choose not to, I think the NFL should respect that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

European vacation huh? Just remember it's pronounced zex not sex. That's if you are looking for #6. If you really are looking for sex its just sex.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know if they are OK with it or just that they don't have any choice. It may not be so much that Murphy is opposed to it as the home teams are opposed to losing a Packer game given that the packers help sell out the stadium. Of course when there are more Packer fans than home team fans you'd think they might want to move it to London.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
London is just around the corner from here (Amsterdam) so I'd be absolutely ecstatic when my beloved Pack would strike down on this side of the Atlantic. That being said, I dont mind it not happening next season as I would not have the required funds to attend anyway. Also we'll probably need an extra year to compete for a SB once again, and Id prefer seeing them in their best form anyhoo. Lets hope it will happen in 2020

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Especially as when connecting the dots it seems Murphy blocked the team from playing in London in '19 although publicly expressing that he would be fine with it.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing the Chargers preferred to give up a home game against their rivals who nearly made it to the Super Bowl instead of playing the Packers at London.

To your first point, I think MM would be ok if he is the away team but not willing to give up a lucrative home game. And I believe no attendance challenged team is willing to give up their home game against the Pack. When the Chargers were still in San Diego I went to the last 3 Packer games here and all were sellouts, and the majority of the fans were Packer fans. This while the Chargers had many games that were not close to selling out unless it was a divisional rival or another team with widespread fandom, such as the Cowboys or Steelers.

To the second point, the Chargers currently play home games in a 27,000 seat soccer stadium in a city that does not want them. Almost every home game had a large majority of the fans in the visiting teams colors. Chargers went 5-3 at home and 7-1 on the road. This is all very embarrassing not only for the Chargers, but the NFL. Azteca Stadium in Mexico City holds 87,000 fans. My guess is there is a much bigger gate there than from a stadium one third the size, so it is a financial decision.

Having lived in San Diego for the last 32years and being a sports fan, I have followed them with interest (imagine all the Super Bowl parties I would be invited to if the Pack played the Chargers since everyone who knows me is aware of how much I love the Pack) so I still watch if they are not on at the same time as us, and I know they still have to pay off the $645 million relocation fee to the other owners so it makes a lot of sense to me.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if they are OK with it or just that they don't have any choice. It may not be so much that Murphy is opposed to it as the home teams are opposed to losing a Packer game given that the packers help sell out the stadium. Of course when there are more Packer fans than home team fans you'd think they might want to move it to London.

As I've said in the first post of this thread I would never advocate for the Packers to give up a home game.

The Chargers had an average of 32,768 fans in 2018, a number that is above capacity. They're able to sell out their stadium without Packers fans travelling there and the impact on the economy in LA is marginal at best as well.

Once again, the NFL naming the Chargers one of the four teams to play in London in 2019 with them now not coming to the UK strongly indicates the Packers blocked playing there.

To the second point, the Chargers currently play home games in a 27,000 seat soccer stadium in a city that does not want them. Almost every home game had a large majority of the fans in the visiting teams colors. Chargers went 5-3 at home and 7-1 on the road. This is all very embarrassing not only for the Chargers, but the NFL. Azteca Stadium in Mexico City holds 87,000 fans. My guess is there is a much bigger gate there than from a stadium one third the size, so it is a financial decision.

You understand that Wembley Stadium holds at least 85,000 fans, therefore the Chargers would have been able to earn more money than at Stub Hub Center as well.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why any team has to give up a home game since they're both playing away. Let their computers figure it out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see why any team has to give up a home game since they're both playing away. Let their computers figure it out.

Teams that agree to give up home games to play in London receive benefits from the league.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams that agree to give up home games to play in London receive benefits from the league.
Then how about a benefit for the fans. Pack up the whole thing kit and caboodle and move it all overseas and stay there. We'll do fine with college, high school, and Pop Warner until somebody comes up with another league.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What it sounds like to me Cap, is just another way to screw the fans because there's another nickel rolling around loose in the corner.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
European vacation huh? Just remember it's pronounced zex not sex. That's if you are looking for #6. If you really are looking for sex its just sex.
I've been waiting a long time to use that line, "Guten Tag, my family and I are looking for sex"

Members online

Latest posts