NFL Team in London?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The talk continues of putting and NFL team in London. Reggie Bush believes that they'll have the Super Bowl there soon too. NFL and British officials are saying within possibly 10 years there will be an NFL franchise in London. Thoughts? Good? Bad?

Personally, I think it's ridiculous, and that if they want to go international they should go to Toronto first. Already has a successful NBA and MLB team, closer cultural similarities, Eastern Time Zone and so on.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ie-bush-nfl-team-super-bowl-will-be-in-london

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Travel would be the hardest. I couldn't imagine the team from London playing alternative home and away games. At least away and a home a couple of weeks at a time...I'd assume no team would ever play on a Thursday for an across the pond trip, unless maybe coming off a bye.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are one of three outcomes I hope for it:
1) It gets scrapped and forgotten about.
2) It happens and then fails.
3) It happens and coaches and players refuse to go.

If I was a coach I would take a forfeit and probably the loss of my job instead of taking part in the nightmare and stupidity of traveling there.

It's bad enough in politics that we get involved in other countries, even to the point of going to war, but now it spills over into sports? Ye gods! Has this country forgotten about itself? Why not just keep things here at home instead of always getting involved with other countries where we don't belong?
Have polls been taken? Do the people of England or London really want this? Or are we shoving things down others throats, again?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Travel would be the hardest. I couldn't imagine the team from London playing alternative home and away games. At least away and a home a couple of weeks at a time...I'd assume no team would ever play on a Thursday for an across the pond trip, unless maybe coming off a bye.
You really think the NFL cares?
A proposed 18 game season is still on the table, I think.
Lawsuits like crazy over concussions.
Still not getting anything resolved or trying to figure out the player conduct rules and regulations.
AP is still on the Vikings payroll.
Ray Rice at first only got a two game suspension for knocking out and dragging a woman and then they backtrack and correct it only after the video went public when they realized that they would have been drawn and quartered by angry NFL fans so they did what they could do to save themselves.

The NFL really cares. - Said no one ever.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really think the NFL cares?
A proposed 18 game season is still on the table, I think.
Lawsuits like crazy over concussions.
Still not getting anything resolved or trying to figure out the player conduct rules and regulations.
AP is still on the Vikings payroll.
Ray Rice at first only got a two game suspension for knocking out and dragging a woman and then they backtrack and correct it only after the video went public when they realized that they would have been drawn and quartered by angry NFL fans so they did what they could do to save themselves.

The NFL really cares. - Said no one ever.

Yeah the NFL doesn't care, but if a new team there went bankrupt and had to fold quickly, that would severely damage Goodell's already tarnished legacy in doing so. I know people come up with a variety of different explanations and conspiracies for these moves he makes, but me, I'm gonna say he just really is that dumb and inept of a commissioner. The problem is, he sees the current games over there as being successful, which the attendance actually has done quite remarkable, and I'm sure if you were to ask Buggybill about it, (I think he said he's been before) he'd probably tell you the same. The problem is, you cannot extrapolate the success of current NFL teams playing over there to mean that an expansion or relocated Jags team going over there is going to be sharing that same success in attendance. The novelty as they say, is going to wear off, and fans over there supporting current teams aren't likely to all the sudden drop those teams to cheer on the kids on the block, and if the new team pulls a Cleveland Browns or a Houston Texans off the bat, they aren't gonna have that fanbase of faithfuls over there to help them out.

Also, like it's been said, players interviewed about the prospect, or at least most of the ones who've been around a few years now, seem to be pretty against the idea of relocating over there. That's not something you as a commissioner who wants to start this new team should want to hear.

Plus, the failure to get a team in Toronto alone really set Goodell back I say, and since he has LA going crazy about building that new stadium and putting a team there, maybe he should think about that first?

I think his overall drive to do this thing is taking up so much of his time that he's neglecting issues such as incompetent officiating, not thinking his rule changes through, scandals like bountygate and Ray Rice.... he's ignoring those because the London project is his Armageddon victory.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the NFL doesn't care, but if a new team there went bankrupt and had to fold quickly, that would severely damage Goodell's already tarnished legacy in doing so. I know people come up with a variety of different explanations and conspiracies for these moves he makes, but me, I'm gonna say he just really is that dumb and inept of a commissioner. The problem is, he sees the current games over there as being successful, which the attendance actually has done quite remarkable, and I'm sure if you were to ask Buggybill about it, (I think he said he's been before) he'd probably tell you the same. The problem is, you cannot extrapolate the success of current NFL teams playing over there to mean that an expansion or relocated Jags team going over there is going to be sharing that same success in attendance. The novelty as they say, is going to wear off, and fans over there supporting current teams aren't likely to all the sudden drop those teams to cheer on the kids on the block, and if the new team pulls a Cleveland Browns or a Houston Texans off the bat, they aren't gonna have that fanbase of faithfuls over there to help them out.

Also, like it's been said, players interviewed about the prospect, or at least most of the ones who've been around a few years now, seem to be pretty against the idea of relocating over there. That's not something you as a commissioner who wants to start this new team should want to hear.

Plus, the failure to get a team in Toronto alone really set Goodell back I say, and since he has LA going crazy about building that new stadium and putting a team there, maybe he should think about that first?

I think his overall drive to do this thing is taking up so much of his time that he's neglecting issues such as incompetent officiating, not thinking his rule changes through, scandals like bountygate and Ray Rice.... he's ignoring those because the London project is his Armageddon victory.
Great response and I agree.

Question for anyone who can answer: I read in comments on NFL.com about something called "NFL Europe." I wasn't around much media when that happened. It was American football being played in Europe and it failed. Right?
So why not take the hint?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

For the record guys, I think I speak for most Europeans on here, WE DON`T WANT ONE. It would be a terrible failure for the NFL. Most of us love seeing Season games here, I personally think three in a season is too much as it is, but we would hate it if they took them all away, but we don`t want it here as a regular thing. The cost alone would put MOST people off. I recently looked for a ticket for the Raiders game because of the James Jones connection. The ticket agency was asking over £100 !!! Not a cat in hells chance of me paying that.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record guys, I think I speak for most Europeans on here, WE DON`T WANT ONE. It would be a terrible failure for the NFL. Most of us love seeing Season games here, I personally think three in a season is too much as it is, but we would hate it if they took them all away, but we don`t want it here as a regular thing. The cost alone would put MOST people off. I recently looked for a ticket for the Raiders game because of the James Jones connection. The ticket agency was asking over £100 !!! Not a cat in hells chance of me paying that.
Are there any "anti NFL team in London" organizations that you know of?
Is anyone who lives over there such as yourself letting Goddell know how they feel?
Any polls being taken?
If the majority really feel as you suggest then it would be very arrogant of the NFL to proceed and that won't make them happy about it either.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Are there any "anti NFL team in London" organizations that you know of?
Is anyone who lives over there such as yourself letting Goddell know how they feel?
Any polls being taken?
If the majority really feel as you suggest then it would be very arrogant of the NFL to proceed and that won't make them happy about it either.

Not that I`m aware of, but. You Americans grew up watching your football, were we grew up watching either football or Soccer as you call it, or cricket (I hate it), Rugby union or Rugby league. So to us it is somewhat of a novelty. WE probably spend more time defending the game from arguments such as "Real men play Rugby, and they don`t wear pads !" and stupid comments like that. These comments are based on ignorance and not disrespect of Americans. I know I`ve grown tired of it, and would suspect the European lads would tell the same stories. We have probably all gone through the period where we had a favourite team when we started, and finally settled on the Packers with more knowledge. I started out liking the Raiders as we saw more of them on TV like the Dolphins, Cowboys, Redskins, at that time. I read a book which made me interested in the Lions for a little while. We eventually became Packer fans as our knowledge grew thankfully.
Goodell would do better doing more to allowing more TV coverage, maybe charging a little more, and NOT blacking out games as they do. I`d pay more knowing I would see ALL my Packer games.

D

Deleted member 6794

I totally agree with buggybill that most of the European football fans don't want the NFL to have a team in London. I really thought a single game per season was a perfect scenario for us.

Question for anyone who can answer: I read in comments on NFL.com about something called "NFL Europe." I wasn't around much media when that happened. It was American football being played in Europe and it failed. Right?
So why not take the hint?

The NFL Europe existed from 1995-2007 and consisted mostly of teams from Germany with additional teams in Amsterdam, London, Barcelona and one in Scotland (the one in London actually only lasted until 1998).

The teams consisted of mostly US players who weren't able to crack NFL rosters and some guys being on the bubble of NFL rosters. The Amsterdam Admirals once featured the QB tandem of Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme.

The league obviously wasn't a success after all as it folded and while the regular season games at Wembley mostly sell out the NFL should not make the mistake of thinking Europeans would support a team here in the long haul.

In addition they would have to do something about the cap in this case as players would have to pay way more taxes in GB.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The talk continues of putting and NFL team in London. Reggie Bush believes that they'll have the Super Bowl there soon too. NFL and British officials are saying within possibly 10 years there will be an NFL franchise in London. Thoughts? Good? Bad?

Personally, I think it's ridiculous, and that if they want to go international they should go to Toronto first. Already has a successful NBA and MLB team, closer cultural similarities, Eastern Time Zone and so on.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ie-bush-nfl-team-super-bowl-will-be-in-london
There will be a Team in London. That will be the beachhead for growing the NFL into Europe. 250 million potential ticket holders. They will most likely be based in the states on the east coast and Travel to London for home games. Toronto would take away from the Bills market so I don't see that happening, they also already have a CFL team. With the growing popularity of American Football in Europe, there could come a day when they are a completely seperate but affiliated league and the Superbowl would become and international event.

We will be getting the next team or teams. Won't be an expansion. I expect the Rams to come back and either the Chargers or the Raiders sharing the new stadium with them.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, if the NFL starts a team, or plays a Super Bowl in London or anywhere else overseas, as far as I'm concerned they can take the whole league and be gone; I'd be done with them.
I would take this as a slap in the face to the fans here who have made this game what it is- and the NFL as rich as it is.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
This is a terrible idea... I really hope this doesn't happen.
Personally, if the NFL starts a team, or plays a Super Bowl in London or anywhere else overseas, as far as I'm concerned they can take the whole league and be gone; I'd be done with them.
I would take this as a slap in the face to the fans here who have made this game what it is- and the NFL as rich as it is.
Any business has to keep growing and they have pretty much grown all they will in the states.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Think first the NFL has to clean up its act here. Eventually a star player is not going to be allowed overseas do to some law. Keep the games domestic, unlike the merchandise.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to say that for all the people talking about the travel implications...

Do you all still live in the middle ages? You act like people would be huddled in the cargo hold of slave ship chained to to the floor.

For the record, i don't think there should be a NFL franchise in London either but the travel implications are minor nuisance.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah.
Isn't 32 teams enough?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to say that for all the people talking about the travel implications...

Do you all still live in the middle ages? You act like people would be huddled in the cargo hold of slave ship chained to to the floor.

For the record, i don't think there should be a NFL franchise in London either but the travel implications are minor nuisance.
I wonder if it takes more than one airplane to move an entire football team an all it's gear to an away game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumor has it the Vikings are moving to London and changing the team name to the Queens. Have another beer Bill. LOL

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly will not complain if a team moves to London and four games every Sunday becomes the norm.

We get to wake up to a game starting tomorrow morning. That's just awesome to me. The pre game shows are nice, but they aren't a real game and whenever the NFL is on, I'm watching it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumor has it the Vikings are moving to London and changing the team name to the Queens. Have another beer Bill. LOL
And they are going to build and sail in a Vikings replica ship when they move.
Wait. Maybe it isn't such a good idea having them go out in a boat again after all.

Latest posts