Mark Murphy announced his retirement date

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's great background information Pkr, thanks. Looks like they are Wisconsin's team after all! It's part of an amazing story though. How a tiny town in Wisconsin can host one of the greatest franchises in NFL history.
The original "stock" offerings were only in Green Bay. Later on (I can't remember which one but probably the 50s), they expanded it to a state-wide stock sale. The point was to make it a state-wide team by increasing ownership outside of Green Bay. I'm pretty sure it was Fred Miller, grandson of founder Frederick Miller, that bought the 200 shares to really help the fundraising drive. He was a sports junky and involved in helping Milwaukee get an NBA franchise in the Hawks and also to lure the Braves to Milwaukee. His intent was to bring a pro football franchise to Milwaukee, but in the end at least we can say he helped the Packers stay afloat.

Commissioner Bert Bell was the real cheerleader of the Packers and Green Bay. Halas was supportive of Lambeau too, but also was realistic in his approach. He wanted the games in Milwaukee because he got a bigger gate out of the bigger stadium, it was closer to his fan base, and farther away from the "fanatics" in Green Bay.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the Packers really are Wisconsin's team, or even America's team, but the truth is they are Green Bay's team.
They are Wisconsin's team and I love it. Go to a Badger game and next morning drive to Lambeau. All of the Packer stuff all over the place, every town (especially on porches) is really incredible. And it has always been that way. I kind of doubt any other state can claim the same thing.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that a lot of tourists travel to Green Bay because of the Titletown district but the Packers make money out of it from locals all year long and earn a lot more money on game days instead of previous years.
I think they are trying to make it a mini tourist area. But remember in the late 50's before there was a vacancy in Green Bay Lombardi stated to Marie, his wife, " Who would want to live in this godforsaken place? "

Reaction score
As much as I’ve been sometimes critical of Murphy. It would be nice to give Ol’ Murph a SuperBowl Dynasty type send off. It all starts in 2022.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh yes. I always LOVED Being at the Helm! If I recall, It offered a Dentist chair that the bartender would lay you back and have you open your mouth. Then they would make a drink in your mouth! Proceed toss you forward to swallow it! Where else would you rather do that?
Everyone is a decision maker when at the Helm!, Lacrosse, WI

PS. Are those the same people on the same barstools as when I was last there in 1993? Hmmm.
Dude way in right..wearing bears shirt?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts