New Special Teams Coach

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sold yet. Too small of a sample size. Detroit did a pretty good job of stopping him from getting much after he did his signature bounce it outside move that had been working wonderfully.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Well at least The Packers get their first shot. He’s Rich’s guy maybe that will account for some loyalty help.
That All Pro designation is going to cost the Packers some more $$ to resign Nixon, but he is one of the top 5 FA's in my opinion that they must resign. I would like to see Ford and Hollins resigned as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not tossing him a big contract either. Nice story, nice boost for sure this season, but it's a pretty small sample size. If cap space were a luxury, toss a little extra in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am not sold yet. Too small of a sample size. Detroit did a pretty good job of stopping him from getting much after he did his signature bounce it outside move that had been working wonderfully.
I will have to watch the game replay, one of these nights. But from the stands, I didn't see any real lanes open up for him. So while he didn't break any, how was the blocking that night?

Plus, given that he was 2nd in kickoff average (28.8 yds) of returners with 20 or more returns, I would say he still proved himself as a solid returner. He also was #1 in yds (1009) and had the longest return in the NFL (105). Finally, he had the most 40+ yard returns (5)....and never fumbled.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon will be offered a fair contract. We have to remember that he didn't shine before he came to the Packers. So, teams will somewhat temper their judgement when it comes to writing out checks. That said, there's always one idiot team out there who writes blank checks for players that they shouldn't. It could go either way. It's all about money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One article I read said he might be offered in the neighborhood of $6M/year. That is a lot of money, but he also played ok when asked to play at CB. Depending on what they do with some of the bigger contracts (Rodgers, Jones, Smith, Bahk, etc.) the Packers might not be able to fit him in the budget. I would almost rather see them let Amos walk and use the savings on Nixon, but with Savage having a down year and will be playing his final contract (5th) year in 2023, its a big whole to fill if you don't resign Amos. Not to mention that they have a $7.95M dead cap hit from Amos coming due, if it isn't worked into a new contract.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One article I read said he might be offered in the neighborhood of $6M/year. That is a lot of money, but he also played ok when asked to play at CB. Depending on what they do with some of the bigger contracts (Rodgers, Jones, Smith, Bahk, etc.) the Packers might not be able to fit him in the budget. I would almost rather see them let Amos walk and use the savings on Nixon, but with Savage having a down year and will be playing his final contract (5th) year in 2023, its a big whole to fill if you don't resign Amos. Not to mention that they have a $7.95M dead cap hit from Amos coming due, if it isn't worked into a new contract.
This is just a guess, but I think at $6 mill it's a little too rich for the Packers. I'd guess somewhere in the $3.5 to $4.0 mill range, with additional incentives. If he got to $6, he'd earn it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't really pay attention to him too much on defense, but if he's not providing much on D consistently I'm not sure I'd even be offering 4M. Even considering what he's brought on D, i'm at 3 Tops. I think he's mostly a return man and I'd be 1-2.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't really pay attention to him too much on defense, but if he's not providing much on D consistently I'm not sure I'd even be offering 4M. Even considering what he's brought on D, i'm at 3 Tops. I think he's mostly a return man and I'd be 1-2.
I'd say it would be reasonable to pay him the $4 mill, only if he could be an asset playing a position. If he's strictly a return man, I think the $3 mill is fairly within range, but I don't think I'd go above that.

It's incredible how much even these guys make. I think the minimum wage is somewhere in the $750k range? Not certain on that one though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would like the Packers to re-sign Nixon as well but they shouldn't offer him anywhere close to $6 million a season.

I think the minimum wage is somewhere in the $750k range? Not certain on that one though.

You're right, next season the minimum salary for a player without any accrued season is set at $750K. Nixon, with a total of four accrued seasons, will make at least $1.08 million in 2023.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like the Packers to re-sign Nixon as well but they shouldn't offer him anywhere close to $6 million a season.

You're right, next season the minimum salary for a player without any accrued season is set at $750K. Nixon, with a total of four accrued seasons, will make at least $1.08 million in 2023.
Thank you! I wasn't certain. I doubt if they will sign him at that figure. Someone will pay more. Teams are always looking to do upgrades in areas of special teams.

Reaction score
I agree on Nixon. I’m in on that 2yr X $5-6mil area, but with a contract out in 2024 if he drops off. A portion of his success are all these good ST athletes we’ve brought in. That KR TD he had a hole I could’ve ran through. Although their K might’ve tripped me up at the 50 :cool:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Nixon. I’m in on that 2yr X $5-6mil area, but with a contract out in 2024 if he drops off. A portion of his success are all these good ST athletes we’ve brought in. That KR TD he had a hole I could’ve ran through. Although their K might’ve tripped me up at the 50 :cool:
Actually you would have tripped over the chalk line at the 10, but that's not the issue. ;)

It is hard to judge the money Nixon will get. I'm thinking, if I'm him, I want guaranteed money. If the Packers guaranteed an entire contract at .... let's spitball.... $3 mill per year, for two years, and threw in some incentives to go with it, I think I'd be jumping at signing that contract. Then again, who knows what idiots are out there signing checks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A portion of his success are all these good ST athletes we’ve brought in.
Yup....but....Pretty much that same kickoff group was playing with Amari Rodgers, Doubs and Watson and neither of those 3 had the success that Nixon had. Maybe the group finally came together once Nixon took over? However, at times, it was night and day between what Nixon was doing and what we had seen for too many years in Green Bay. I used to hold my breath on every kickoff and hope the Packers got a touchback. With Nixon, I wanted a return, even if the kick was 5 yards deep into the EZ.

Reaction score
Actually you would have tripped over the chalk line at the 10, but that's not the issue
Would YOU kick it to me if I was the KR? if we had the chance?
That might by default get me to the 40 when she rolls out of bounds :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

While the blocking might have improved over the course of the season I believe Nixon was mainly responsible for the improvement in the return game.

I agree he won't re-sign for the minimum but the Packers shouldn't overpay for him at several millions per season either.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colts interviewed Rich Bisaccia for their head coaching job today.

I had forgotten he admirably led a dysfunctional Raiders team for part of '21. Good for him!!

I'm sure we can find another ST Coordinator to elevate GB close to mediocrity. '22 would've been only marginally better than '21 without Nixon.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts