New Special Teams Coach

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you get a chance you gotta watch Bussin' with the Boys where MLF and Bisaccia talk with Compton. Incredible...link:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Quote I threw on a graphic from Rich while talking I know most of us here will love.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was kind of strange that the punter was outkicking the coverage everytime. He has a bigger leg than I thought.

Reaction score
Just an observation through 4 contests.
Our kicking (K/P) is good to great
Our coverage unit sucks (26th-32nd)
Our Return game is so-so (12/18th)

Overall I’d have us C+ area.
We have plenty of room to improve on Coverage units both PR (26th) and KR (31st)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We have plenty of room to improve on Coverage units both PR (26th) and KR (31st)
You're a tough grader.
- No botched snaps, new snapper looks solid.
- No blocked kicks/punts costing GB games.
- Punter is regularly flipping the field and pinning teams inside their own 10.
- Crosby is 100% on 2 FG's & 3 XPT's.
Still need to find an adequate returner, but for the most part coverage has been decent (except for yesterday :( ).
I'd go with B+, good but room for improvement.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We have yet to have a kick or punt blocked. And O'Donnell has been named ST Player of the Week against the Bucs. And he landed one at the 2 yesterday. So we have certainly improved over last year in that respect. You have to recall how bad we finished in 2021. It is a work in progress.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed like the gunners weren't getting off their blocks on a couple of the punts. The returner had alot of room to get upfield and picked up good yardage. It almost cost them in OT. All the Pat's had to do was get one 1st down to get in FG range, but the defense came up huge.

Reaction score
You're a tough grader.
- No botched snaps, new snapper looks solid.
- No blocked kicks/punts costing GB games.
- Punter is regularly flipping the field and pinning teams inside their own 10.
- Crosby is 100% on 2 FG's & 3 XPT's.
Still need to find an adequate returner, but for the most part coverage has been decent (except for yesterday :( ).
I'd go with B+, good but room for improvement.
If you were a Professor, my lazy rear would’ve signed up for your classes just to help me recoup some of my low grade point average. :)

Crosby has been great. But to be fair, in relatively limited (longest FG is f/40) and he’s only kicking 1 per game. 100%. There’s are like 7 guys he’s tied with at 100% but most have more attempts.
O’Donnelle has been very good also. Top #12 Gross, Top #8 Punter in NET yardage. Pat has been nailing quite a few punts inside the 20, 15 and even 5 yard line. He’d basically leaning a top 6-8 punter.

Our PR and KR COVERAGE units average is in the gutter. We rank between 26th and 32nd on both Coverage units. So our Kicking and Return game is about average when you factor together. I give us a + for not turning the ball over on ST.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed like the gunners weren't getting off their blocks on a couple of the punts. The returner had alot of room to get upfield and picked up good yardage. It almost cost them in OT. All the Pat's had to do was get one 1st down to get in FG range, but the defense came up huge.
Yeah, the ST let New England returner gash us on returns. Very close to losing us the game in OT. Can't give them any more than C+ at this point. Of Course C+ is an upgrade from F.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The returner for the Patriots is arguably the best returner to be drafted since Hester IMO too so there is that why the coverage team couldn’t do much unless punt let go.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I thought it was over because Folk is so good. I am surprised BB did not just go with 3 power runs with 6 Olinemen. If they get to the 40-42 Folk could make it. Having a 3rd string QB helps any defense. BB may have had confidence his defense could stifle us again after pinning us deep. But it did not.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disappointed so far. They've been better so far but still disappointed. I would like a better returner but mostly I am thinking overall quality with the other 10. They just don't seem to be in sync. Still have to hold my breath.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disappointed so far. They've been better so far but still disappointed. I would like a better returner but mostly I am thinking overall quality with the other 10. They just don't seem to be in sync. Still have to hold my breath.
I am ecstatic so far. No, this is not the 1996 ST but after last year it is a relief. If our ST was only average last year we are World Champs. It sucked. So far, no blocked FGs. No blocked punts. And our punter was ST Player of the Week against the Bucs. Yesterday he put another on the 2 late in regulation. And Crosby kicked home the winner. Routine? Yes. But routine is a far cry from a ST that actually lost a playoff game for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers don't have good special teams compared to some other teams but that wasn't to be expected after last year's fiasco.

According to Football Outsiders they rank 21st in DVOA, which is a significant improvement over the 2021 season.

The returner for the Patriots is arguably the best returner to be drafted since Hester IMO too so there is that why the coverage team couldn’t do much unless punt let go.

It was concerning the gunners were nowhere close to their returner at the time he caught the ball on several punts though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a few things that should concern us when it comes to punts. Hang time, net distance (not gross), and kicks inside the 20 yard line. If you get those three things in your favor, you don't care about returns against you, because overall, they're nominal, and in some cases, the longer kicks with returns end up being flagged for an illegal block, or holding, and work to your advantage.

I'm more than satisfied with O'Donnell's punts, and as long as the gunners maintain outside integrity to force the returns into the heart of our coverage team, I'm as pleased as punch. It's when these guys get outside our containment and make it a run for 6. His hang time, coupled with ability to loft it for coverage inside the 20 is excellent. Watching him punt from the opposite 40, to midfield, is exciting, because you know there's a chance the opposition will be starting inside their own 10. O'Donnell is doing great!

I'm satisfied with Crosby's kicking. He has a decent average KO distance. He isn't getting a lot of kicks that aren't returnable, but when they are, they are getting roughly 25 yards on each. It would be nice if he could get a little more height on the kick off. That would cut the kick returns down immensely. I like how he was cool as ice when he made that game winner against the Pats. Even LeFleur mentioned it.

Our coverage teams are getting better. They will, as the season goes along. The more these guys run down the field together, the more they'll trust each other in maintaining lane integrity.

On our return team? I'd just as soon have 100% touch backs on kick offs, and as long as they hang onto the ball with punt returns, and no penalties, I'm as happy as a pig in slop.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I hate to see during punt coverage is when the gunner or anyone else, overruns the returner before or right after he catches the ball. I've seen that way too much over the past with many teams. And that is bad coaching. I haven't seen that yet and hope I don't.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I hate to see during punt coverage is when the gunner or anyone else, overruns the returner before or right after he catches the ball. I've seen that way too much over the past with many teams. And that is bad coaching. I haven't seen that yet and hope I don't.
I couldn't agree more. They need to maintain lane integrity, and never give that guy the outside.

Reaction score
According to Football Outsiders they rank 21st in DVOA, which is a significant improvement over the 2021 season.
That may be their generic rating and sounds about right. However putting near record breaking Punts inside the 20 and going 100% on XPM and FG is weighted more imo.
Compared to last season we’re a B+. Lol

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be their generic rating and sounds about right. However putting near record breaking Punts inside the 20 and going 100% on XPM and FG is weighted more imo.
Compared to last season we’re a B+. Lol
And with that performance we would have beaten the 9ers last year in January.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts