Mychal Kendricks Released

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He's an athletic attacking ILB, I think we could use him inside and he'd be a dynamic player for us. Huge upgrade over Ryan and better than Martinez ( who can still get better)

There's the rub. Will they decide he's worth it if they view him as only a modest upgrade over Martinez?

D

Deleted member 6794

Kendricks would definitely present an upgrade over the inside linebackers currently on the roster. The Packers would face competition from other teams if interested in hin though. In addition they would have to find a way to sign him to a cap friendly deal.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks would definitely present an upgrade over the inside linebackers currently on the roster. The Packers would face competition from other teams if interested in hin though. In addition they would have to find a way to sign him to a cap friendly deal.
they've got room and they'd likely cut someone too so...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not Russ Ball or Gute, so its hard to know what they are thinking in regards to the cap, resigning of our own guys between now and next year and FA's. If Gute is still looking for additions to the current roster, I can't imagine they want to sign more than one "big contract", unless they are willing to cut ties with someone like Bulaga, Cobb or Matthews.

So where would you splash that "big" money? I would think OLB or WR, if someone is there that you want longer than a year.

Otherwise, you look for a few guys like Kendricks that improve your 2018 roster and a smaller cost. Players that are a lot like Mo Wilkerson, a player that might be willing to play relatively cheap on a one year deal to reestablish their market value.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not Russ Ball or Gute, so its hard to know what they are thinking in regards to the cap, resigning of our own guys between now and next year and FA's. If Gute is still looking for additions to the current roster, I can't imagine they want to sign more than one "big contract", unless they are willing to cut ties with someone like Bulaga, Cobb or Matthews.

So where would you splash that "big" money? I would think OLB or WR, if someone is there that you want longer than a year.

Otherwise, you look for a few guys like Kendricks that improve your 2018 roster and a smaller cost. Players that are a lot like Mo Wilkerson, a player that might be willing to play relatively cheap on a one year deal to reestablish their market value.

Kendricks at ILB AND Robert Ayers at OLB, anyone?

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777370-mychal-kendricks-released-by-eagles-after-6-seasons

No reason given by the Eagles. Very surprising, given their top backup tore his ACL day 1. Is this our chance for Gute to pounce? I know we have Martinez and Ryan but Kendricks ran a 4.47 out of Cal, I like him in coverage much better than Ryan and I don't think Burks is ready for significant snaps. He may be a little undersized at 6"0 but with his athleticism I'll take him as a chess piece in Pettine's scheme over what we currently have on the edge.
Kendricks flies all over the field and has football instincts. I'm still confused on why they would release him but I do hope packers take a look at him though it might not be cheap.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hiw much cap space do we got to play with? Minus the expected bump in Rodgers extension do we have the cap space for him?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hiw much cap space do we got to play with? Minus the expected bump in Rodgers extension do we have the cap space for him?

Plenty. Over $13.8M. Even rounding up for injury money put aside, that's at least 10M left with options to create more. And depending on how they want to structure Rodgers, his cap number could be lowered for this year, creating more space.

Forgot Lewis, but I'd doubt more than 2.5M vs the cap on him, so figure at least 7.5M.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks flies all over the field and has football instincts. I'm still confused on why they would release him but I do hope packers take a look at him though it might not be cheap.

Mostly a cap move, but he also doesn't fit what they do on defence now, and they have good but much cheaper players for those roles.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally some Kendricks news. He's visiting the Vikings, Raiders and Browns this week. If the Packers are interested, they'll have to get hot.
"Expected to make a decision later on this week after meeting with all interested teams".

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bet is he signs with the raiders

I can't see Kendricks going to the Raiders, because of scheme (4-3) and price range. Raiders should be focused on getting a contract offer prepared for Khalil Mack. I could see him go to the Vikings (family ties) or Browns (most money). Maybe Packers could offer a one-year contract worth up to 6-7M with incentives. At least worth a shot. He brings experience, intelligence, and championship pedigree.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The Eagles released him because his cap number was out of whack given his value in their system. He’s built to be an off ball linebacker in a multiple front scheme that attacks the LOS as a regular blitzer. Jim Schwartz prefers a traditional four man rush with linebackers who can work well moving away from the LOS. At least in their perception, that’s not Kendricks’ forte. So they cut him. It didn’t hurt that they are in a really tight cap situation.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I can't see Kendricks going to the Raiders, because of scheme (4-3) and price range. Raiders should be focused on getting a contract offer prepared for Khalil Mack. I could see him go to the Vikings (family ties) or Browns (most money). Maybe Packers could offer a one-year contract worth up to 6-7M with incentives. At least worth a shot. He brings experience, intelligence, and championship pedigree.

We don’t know yet because we haven’t seen him away from Lewis, but I’ve heard that Guenther will probably be one of the most blitz happy DC’s in the league.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Cue numerous Packer fans wishing we were as savvy as the worst franchise in professional sports.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cue numerous Packer fans wishing we were as savvy as the worst franchise in professional sports.

Highsmith and Wolf strike again....

Say what you want, the Browns are not the Browns of old anymore. If the coaching is just pedestrian, they should easily go 6-10, but I'm predicting 8-8.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well...the browns DO have the most cap room by a long shot. they can sign anyone they want to without regard to money. dorsey was handed a good situation (lots of money and a great draft last year) and is building on that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Highsmith and Wolf strike again....

Say what you want, the Browns are not the Browns of old anymore. If the coaching is just pedestrian, they should easily go 6-10, but I'm predicting 8-8.

I will say what I want, thank you. And what I want to say in this instance is that they ain’t done **** yet. I’ve been hearing a lot about all of their talent for a couple years now. One win. One.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will say what I want, thank you. And what I want to say in this instance is that they ain’t done **** yet. I’ve been hearing a lot about all of their talent for a couple years now. One win. One.

The Browns have a new front office though and Dorsey did a great job turning around the Chiefs as well. I definitely expect Cleveland to be significantly better in 2018.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just glad that we aren't playing the Browns in 2018 with Hudley as our QB, they would probably kick our ***.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Browns don't improve significantly this season, they are cursed or their coach and staff have no business being in the league. You'd think their front office might recognize that, maybe they just gave him this year because the coach they wanted wasn't there and next year they'll bring in their own guy. But they have the players to be good and in the playoffs this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Browns don't improve significantly this season, they are cursed or their coach and staff have no business being in the league. You'd think their front office might recognize that, maybe they just gave him this year because the coach they wanted wasn't there and next year they'll bring in their own guy. But they have the players to be good and in the playoffs this year.

I was suprised that Dorsey held on to Jackson after the Browns have won only a single game over his two seasons as their head coach. I'm convinced he's on an extremely short leash entering 2018.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts