Mychal Kendricks Released

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777370-mychal-kendricks-released-by-eagles-after-6-seasons

No reason given by the Eagles. Very surprising, given their top backup tore his ACL day 1. Is this our chance for Gute to pounce? I know we have Martinez and Ryan but Kendricks ran a 4.47 out of Cal, I like him in coverage much better than Ryan and I don't think Burks is ready for significant snaps. He may be a little undersized at 6"0 but with his athleticism I'll take him as a chess piece in Pettine's scheme over what we currently have on the edge.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would seem there is something probably important we don't know and not mentioned with his release.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about Kendricks, but from the little I just read, it sounds like he was a pretty good ILB in a 3-4 and when Schwartz became the DC and changed the Eagles over to base 4-3, his playing time and abilities were limited. They have been shopping him, with no one willing to trade a 5th round for him, so a cap savings ($4.4 M) cut by the Eagles.

At 27, he would be worth taking a look at if he fits what Pettine is doing, the Packers aren't exactly plus whith talent at ILB.

But then again, many of us think that every "half way decent" player that is suddenly released, is worth looking at, just not sure the Packers are as eager as we all are. :laugh:

Last edited:

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Replacing Jake Ryan with Kendricks would be an upgrade for this team. Jake Ryan has been solid against the run but he’s underwhelming and plays an antiquated style.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about Kendricks, but from the little I just read, it sounds like he was a pretty good ILB in a 3-4 and when Schwartz became the DC and changed the Eagles over to base 4-3, his playing time and abilities were limited. They have been shopping him, with no one willing to trade a 5th round for him, so a cap savings ($4.4 M) cut by the Eagles.

At 27, he would be worth taking a look at if he fits what Pettine is doing, the Packers aren't exactly plus whith talent at ILB.

But then again, many of us think that every "half way decent" player that is suddenly released, is worth looking at, just not sure the Packers are as eager as we all are. :laugh:
If that's all it was behind his release, he's definitely someone I'd bring on board.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If that's all it was behind his release, he's definitely someone I'd bring on board.

Agreed. As we are seeing, it seems like high paid starters are tough to trade, even for a 5th rounder, nobody wants their contract and that may be the case with Kendricks.

I read stuff like this and its like "get him on a plane to GB".

The veteran has started 74 of the 85 games he has played since entering the league in 2012, finishing last season second on the team with 77 tackles. He was especially effective when dropping into coverage, but Pro Football Focus showed he can also rush the passer when asked:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I could see him choosing to go somewhere where he wouldn't have to compete for the MIKE job, but he would be perfect for Pettine's system. I would love it.

The move has been rumored for multiple offseasons because of his cap hit, poor fit in that scheme, and their overall cap constraints. He belongs in a scheme that uses its linebackers to attack the LOS and blitz. Schwartz prefers to get pressure with four.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They are all worth looking at. Most are not worth signing though. ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In the past, Pettine has used his ILB's really heavily to generate pressure. A guy like David Harris would get 3-5 sacks each season and a lot more additional hits/pressure. Kendricks wins as a downhill player both in the running game and as a blitzer. If they could sign him, I could easily envision him chipping in 5 sacks as an A gap blitzer. It would help mitigate the lack of talent on the edge.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still upset we went for Randall over Eric Kendricks lol.

Ditto. I was pounding the table for him in that draft-and I think snagging his older brother up would almost make amends for missing out on Eric. With what we have at ILB Mychal has to be an upgrade/give us more pass coverage versatility and inject some much needed pass rush potency within the front 7.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely a guy to go after, but you can count on a lot of competition for him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay said today at OTA today OLB depth "not very good". I'd think we go after Kendricks.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hasn't he done any time at OLB? Even if not, he's an upgrade at ILB, and you can bet Pettine will find use for him.

He has played OLB for the last few seasons in Schwartz’s 4-3, but was an ILB in their 3-4 prior to that. He can help the pass rush as a blitzer, but he isn’t an edge rusher. But like you said, he would be an upgrade at ILB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's an athletic attacking ILB, I think we could use him inside and he'd be a dynamic player for us. Huge upgrade over Ryan and better than Martinez ( who can still get better)

Members online

No members online now.