FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1/4th of the way thru the season, the only contenders are this point are:

Rodgers
Brady
Welker
Megatron

Reasons why each will claim to make a case.

Calvin Johnson. 4 games in, he's got 2 TD catches in each game, which has never been done before and probably never will again. Jerry Rice didn't do it. Randy Moss didn't do it. That being said, Rice never even won an MVP so cross Megatron off.

Wesley Welker. That little ****** has 40 catches in 4 games, and is averaging over 150 yards a game. He's putting up numbers never ever seen before at the WR position. Not Rice, not Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens.
That being said, he's still a WR and they don't give the MVP award to a WR. And he's in the Shadow of God (Brady).

Brady.
He is on pace to just obliterate the passing yardage record which is 5000. He's on pace for over 6000 yards. He has 1553 yards and 13 TDs. His team is in the back yard of ESPN and they love them some Brady and New England.

Aaron Rodgers.
He has one less TD pass than Brady, and 200 fewer yards, however he also runs for TDs that Brady doesn't.
Arod also has 3 fewer Ints, his passer rating is 125 to Brady's 111. And at this time, his Packers are 4-0, whereas Brady is 3-1, because he threw 4 Ints in one game last week to lose at Buffalo.
Rodgers might play a stinker himself (hopefully not), but if he does, it will even things out.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think pre week 4 it was Brady than Rodgers. But yesterday was really something special. 4 tds throwing and 2 tds rushing thats incredible. It will be hard for rodgers to unseat the media darling that is Tom Brady, but espn has a ******* for #12 as well so if he continues to put up maniac numbers he has a chance.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If Brady wins it again, then that's BS.

I thought Brees should have won it back in 2009 over Peyton, and no doubt, last year Brady did deserve it after he broke Bernie Kosar's long time record of 300+ passes without an interception.

This year, I think Rodgers deserves it. I doubt you'll see him throwing 4 picks in a game.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1/4th of the way thru the season, the only contenders are this point are:

Calvin Johnson. 4 games in, he's got 2 TD catches in each game, which has never been done before and probably never will again. Jerry Rice didn't do it. Randy Moss didn't do it. That being said, Rice never even won an MVP so cross Megatron off.

I believe Cris Carter also had a four game stretch of 2 TDs. So it's been done once before. An amazing feat nonetheless.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Johnson's is unique in that it has never been done in the first four games of a season before; not that no one has done it in four games before.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect Rodgers to win the MVP.

Megatron is the best WR in the league, yet was on an 0-16 team, hard time to believe he is more valuable than a healthy Stafford. I would give him offensive players of the year though.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I fully expect Rodgers to win the MVP.

Megatron is the best WR in the league, yet was on an 0-16 team, hard time to believe he is more valuable than a healthy Stafford. I would give him offensive players of the year though.

This would be the best case scenario, I can agree with this.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I do like Megatron but if Rice never won an MVP, then never should he, and Jerry was possibly the greatest player to ever play this game.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the clear frontrunner right now. I think if voting was right now, Brady would not be even close to Rodgers. Passing yards and TDs are dirt cheap in today's NFL, so voters are going to be looking at efficiency and accuracy stats where Rodgers is way ahead of the field.

73.1% completions
69.0% for Brees in second place

124.5 passer rating
111.3 for Brady in second place

In yards per attempt, Brady is first at 9.53
9.40 YPA for Rodgers is second place
Hasselbeck in third with 8.73

6 to 1 TDs to INTs is first place
As best as I can tell, Eli Manning and Alex Smith are second best at 4 to 1

And it's not like Rodgers is doing poorly in yards or TDs. In fact, his yards and TD numbers are massive. But last year, Brady didn't even throw for 4000 yards and received every single MVP vote because he had 36 to 4 TDs to INTs.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone on ESPN uses Rodgers as the bar to compare other players too. If he put up these consistant numbers, there is a good chance he will win, but there are a lot of very good players in this league.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like Megatron but if Rice never won an MVP, then never should he, and Jerry was possibly the greatest player to ever play this game.
Rice was great for many years, but he only had one really dominant seasons, in 87 when he had 22 TDs and 1989 - 17 TDs and 1500 yards.

If CJ can keep up even close to this rate, he will have earned it.

Obviously I am pulling for our own, but if Rodgers doesn't get it, CJ would be fine with me.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Rice was great for many years, but he only had one really dominant seasons, in 87 when he had 22 TDs and 1989 - 17 TDs and 1500 yards.

If CJ can keep up even close to this rate, he will have earned it.

Obviously I am pulling for our own, but if Rodgers doesn't get it, CJ would be fine with me.

The 49ers really had way too many weapons in those days. They didn't have to depend on Rice, you had John Taylor, Roger Craig and eventually Ricky Watters, and I can't remember who went on to replace Brent Jones at Tight End.
Rice really broke out to me with his constant 1,000 yard seasons. I would also say he was dominate in 1996, even with Young injured most of that year, he had 1,800+ receiving yards, which was his career high.