Most Important Packers: Top 10

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Rodgers. No question about it, everything the author said was right on the money

2. Matthews- Dudes a beast and needs to keep that up for the defense to improve.

3. Newhouse- The biggest ? on the OL for me. He was "good enough" last year and that is promising, but he is playing a very important role and he needs to continue to improve

4.Tramon Williams- Him getting back to his 2010 form is almost the most crucial piece of the 2012 defense IMO

5. Number 2 saftey- Moved this up a tiny bit because the communication and lack of athleticism from last year was terrible and if whoever fills the spot can improve I feel it will help a lot.

6.Nick Perry- He was drafted in the first round to be an immediate starter and contributor to this defense. He needs to live up to those expectations to compliment Clay Matthews

7.Charles Woodson- Im just so used to him being 100% animal that I almost forgot him on this list. It's expected for him to lose a step in coverage with age, but he's a wily ol veteran and he still needs to be one of our top 3 play makers on D

8.Randal Cobb- Not so much for his offensive production as his special teams production. Anytime you give Aaron Rodgers and Co. the ball with favorable field position the chances are pretty good you will come away with some kind of points. If he can blossom into a serious return threat in his sophomore year he could really turn some heads

9. Jermichael Finley- Although the packers have a plethora of receiving threats he is the only guy that can really get up higher than anyone on the defense. He can really tear open the middle of the field and is a crucial target in the redzone. If he can keep his head on straight and his hands out of the buttered popcorn he should be a valuable and important asset to the team.

10. Jeff Saturday- Im not worried about him in this system or his diagnosis of a defense, but there is a reason the colts were willing to part ways with their long time anchor of the Peyton wall, maybe his age was showing a bit more on a daily basis there. I hope not, but at his age those knees and his back could be in for a very long season.

11. AJ hawk- Yeah Yeah I know who makes a top 11. I really felt like he needed to be mentioned. He plays a very important position on this defense and he needs to become the tackling machine he was supposed to be all along, Bishop has stepped in nicely but its time for Hawk and the whole defense for that matter to really hit the crap out of someone.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
3. Newhouse- The biggest ? on the OL for me. He was "good enough" last year and that is promising, but he is playing a very important role and he needs to continue to improve

11. AJ hawk- Yeah Yeah I know who makes a top 11. I really felt like he needed to be mentioned. He plays a very important position on this defense and he needs to become the tackling machine he was supposed to be all along, Bishop has stepped in nicely but its time for Hawk and the whole defense for that matter to really hit the crap out of someone.
I still say Sherrod will toss that saboteur Newhouse mid season.

If Hawk's weight loss gives him the step to not be four seconds behind every play, I'll finally shut up and get off his back. Even 3 lbs can make a difference, and I'll be the first to admit that. He'll be worth every penny.

for the bonus lets take safety and releasing players. Peprah is a box safety (I say that with all disdain) but the back-ups have real potential. I especially like McMillian. As for coaches releasing players for a reason, sometimes coaches are wrong. (Remember, Woodson and Brees and Dawkins all got released once. By coaches who supposedly knew them in and out, better than anyone else)

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody here think Morgan Burnett needs to be high on this list?
With the other safety spot up in the air, hoping to improve on what we saw from ChuckPep last year, is Burnett's play and durability critical? I think so.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson has the 2nd most TDs by a WR last season and isn't even mentioned. That's how good our offense is.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would put raji at #2. The key to the whole defense is what the NT can do at the line of scrimmage.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would put raji at #2. The key to the whole defense is what the NT can do at the line of scrimmage.
Very true.
But I also like what a DE like Justin Smith of the 49ers can do for a defense.
Can Worthy, Hargrove, Daniels give the Packers some of that?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think tramon is the 2nd most important player in this team this season. Not the 2nd best but the 2nd most important. In this division, with harvin, Megatron, and Marshall you need a corner that can shadow them all game long. Charles is better free styling on defense. 2010 tramon and we have a SB team, 2011 tramon and we have a serious problem.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think tramon is the 2nd most important player in this team this season. Not the 2nd best but the 2nd most important. In this division, with harvin, Megatron, and Marshall you need a corner that can shadow them all game long. Charles is better free styling on defense. 2010 tramon and we have a SB team, 2011 tramon and we have a serious problem.
I can buy that.
That is unless someone else really steps up their game like a Sam Shields, Davon House, or Casey Hayward, but that's asking a lot. Woodson couldn't cover Megatron 3 years ago so asking him to do so now is pipedreamish.

A healthy Tramon is very important.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOBODY can cover megatron lets face it..but a healthy Tramon Williams will at least make it difficult for him to go off.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't happy hearing the shoulder problem is still bothering Tramon. :(

Really? Man that's not good news either, i actually was shocked he even came back last year. After seeing how his elbow got twisted up in the Saints game. ugh thought it was dislocated. It may hinder his tackling but hopefully not his coverage skills.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Man that's not good news either, i actually was shocked he even came back last year. After seeing how his elbow got twisted up in the Saints game. ugh thought it was dislocated. It may hinder his tackling but hopefully not his coverage skills.

It was in the insider article article posted by Frank.

Members online

Latest posts