1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Moss named LB coach, Van Pelt QB coach

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Feb 7, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,844
    Winston Moss will now coach all LBs, with Scott McCurley being the assistant.

Van Pelt named QB coach.

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,844
    In addition Jason Simmons was named defensive/special teams assistant, John Rushing defensive quality control, Luke Getsy offensive quality control, Chris Gizzi (LB for the team from 2000-01) will return as a strength and conditioning assistant.

3. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +372
    I hope Gizzi can figure out what seems to be horribly wrong in the strength and conditioning department.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +842
    Hopefully he can but that is going to be a monumental task seeing as the problem is the guy designing the program whom MM refuses to fire.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,091
    I've often wondered about Winston Moss to be honest. Don't know much about the guy - and, he does keep a very, very low profile. It would be easy to forget that he's even on staff. Thing is, he was designated as Assistant Head Coach a number of years ago which presumably keeps him insulated from teams searching for a defensive coordinator (my understanding is that if someone came calling and hired him, the Packers could demand compensation - I could have that notion all twisted up - not sure). I guess, if the guy is valuable enough to be designated "Assistant Head Coach", why doesn't he hold a more ... um ... powerful(?) position than LB Coach?

Is he that good? That highly thought of around the league?? I mean, does he report to Capers or McCarthy, or both? The man is an enigma wrapped in a question mark, I tell ya....

Can anyone help me untwist this? I really do not understand this concept. In the world of non-NFL business practices I understand because I report to a Board of Directors, a CEO and Senior Executive V-P (sometimes, all at once - damn and drat, I say....) ... but ... how does this play out in Green Bay?

6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,844
    The Packers can deny all interview requests for a coordinator position (not for a head coaching job though) as long as the position or assistant coach is under contract.

I guess that as an LBs coach he has to report primarily to Capers, not sure what his responsibilities as assistant head coach are.

I was very surprised that the Packers named him OLBs coach as well. It's very hard to evaluate position coaches. The only thing I know is that the ILBs haven't been the best position on defense since he took over in 2006.

7. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,315
    You understand it as well as I do. Moss was promoted to protect him from being hired away but as far as I know, there isn't any evidence that indicates why he is so "valuable".

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. gbpowner

gbpowner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    I do not pretend to know what goes on behind closed doors at 1265 Lombardi Ave but this is what I saw at training camp the last few years. Outside LB: on the move constantly during drills. Inside LB: standing around "discussing" the drill! Hopefully Moss can keep in mind that physical repetition is as important as mental repetition!