Moss named LB coach, Van Pelt QB coach

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Winston Moss will now coach all LBs, with Scott McCurley being the assistant.

Van Pelt named QB coach.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

In addition Jason Simmons was named defensive/special teams assistant, John Rushing defensive quality control, Luke Getsy offensive quality control, Chris Gizzi (LB for the team from 2000-01) will return as a strength and conditioning assistant.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition Jason Simmons was named defensive/special teams assistant, John Rushing defensive quality control, Luke Getsy offensive quality control, Chris Gizzi (LB for the team from 2000-01) will return as a strength and conditioning assistant.
I hope Gizzi can figure out what seems to be horribly wrong in the strength and conditioning department.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've often wondered about Winston Moss to be honest. Don't know much about the guy - and, he does keep a very, very low profile. It would be easy to forget that he's even on staff. Thing is, he was designated as Assistant Head Coach a number of years ago which presumably keeps him insulated from teams searching for a defensive coordinator (my understanding is that if someone came calling and hired him, the Packers could demand compensation - I could have that notion all twisted up - not sure). I guess, if the guy is valuable enough to be designated "Assistant Head Coach", why doesn't he hold a more ... um ... powerful(?) position than LB Coach?

Is he that good? That highly thought of around the league?? I mean, does he report to Capers or McCarthy, or both? The man is an enigma wrapped in a question mark, I tell ya....

Can anyone help me untwist this? I really do not understand this concept. In the world of non-NFL business practices I understand because I report to a Board of Directors, a CEO and Senior Executive V-P (sometimes, all at once - damn and drat, I say....) ... but ... how does this play out in Green Bay?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I've often wondered about Winston Moss to be honest. Don't know much about the guy - and, he does keep a very, very low profile. It would be easy to forget that he's even on staff. Thing is, he was designated as Assistant Head Coach a number of years ago which presumably keeps him insulated from teams searching for a defensive coordinator (my understanding is that if someone came calling and hired him, the Packers could demand compensation - I could have that notion all twisted up - not sure). I guess, if the guy is valuable enough to be designated "Assistant Head Coach", why doesn't he hold a more ... um ... powerful(?) position than LB Coach?

Is he that good? That highly thought of around the league?? I mean, does he report to Capers or McCarthy, or both? The man is an enigma wrapped in a question mark, I tell ya....

The Packers can deny all interview requests for a coordinator position (not for a head coaching job though) as long as the position or assistant coach is under contract.

I guess that as an LBs coach he has to report primarily to Capers, not sure what his responsibilities as assistant head coach are.

I was very surprised that the Packers named him OLBs coach as well. It's very hard to evaluate position coaches. The only thing I know is that the ILBs haven't been the best position on defense since he took over in 2006.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone help me untwist this?
You understand it as well as I do. Moss was promoted to protect him from being hired away but as far as I know, there isn't any evidence that indicates why he is so "valuable".

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not pretend to know what goes on behind closed doors at 1265 Lombardi Ave but this is what I saw at training camp the last few years. Outside LB: on the move constantly during drills. Inside LB: standing around "discussing" the drill! Hopefully Moss can keep in mind that physical repetition is as important as mental repetition!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts