Morgan Burnett to the Steelers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You are funny! Let’s blame it on capers and give him another year to prove he’s worth the contract, *****:p

Clearly Matthews isn't the same guy that he was when he signed his extension and was coming off a 13 sack season. No one said he's currently worth that contract... he's in the last year of it and it was signed five years ago. But he's still a very useful player. Just because his cap number is higher than he deserves at age 31 doesn't mean he "sucks." Did you want to cut him? And replace him with... who? Is his contract robbing the Packers of the space they need to do something? They're still sitting ~20M under the cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

I liked Burnett and hate to see him go. But we have a lot of depth at safety and can save some $ here.

The Packers depth chart at safety currently includes Clinton-Dix, Evans, Jones and Brice. In my opinion the group lacks depth, especially quality one.

Burnett is a much better player at the respective stages in their careers. Counting on Jones to be ready to take over as a starter is very risky. Safety is one of the easiest transitions in the NFL, and he had some horrible moments.

It takes a lot of safeties several seasons to develop into a playmaker at the pro level. Just take a look at Nick Collins for example.

Rap reporting it's a 3 year deal for $14.5M... at that number I'd of taken him back. Wow

I wouldn't have been opposed to re-signing Burnett for less than $5 million a season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd submit that even at the amount he got, I wouldn't have resigned him. Needs elsewhere, an aging player breaking down physically and who offers nothing in the way of impact plays.
How good would it look in year 2 or 3?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd submit that even at the amount he got, I wouldn't have resigned him. Needs elsewhere, an aging player breaking down physically and who offers nothing in the way of impact plays.
How good would it look in year 2 or 3?

The Packers must feel pretty confident about Josh Jones entering this season. If he doesn't work out the team has another hole in the secondary to address though.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers to rely on Josh Jones to replace Burnett.
If jones can play the way he played against the bengals last year on a consistent basis he can be really really good he was nasty! We shall see

D

Deleted member 6794

If jones can play the way he played against the bengals last year on a consistent basis he can be really really good he was nasty! We shall see

Jones definitely has a ton of potential but he has to be assignment sure to adequately replace Burnett.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones definitely has a ton of potential but he has to be assignment sure to adequately replace Burnett.
Yes absolutely I just hope something turns out good hopefully King can be a good corner he needs more weight he is a string bean. Lack of depth in the secondary is scary I wish we could go back to the mike McKenzie al Harris Darren sharper days

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers depth chart at safety currently includes Clinton-Dix, Evans, Jones and Brice. In my opinion the group lacks depth, especially quality one.
I think Haha, Jones, and Brice are all starter quality and Evans has the potential to be that this season as well. I would not be surprised if we don't pick a safety in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised either if we took one high. Obviously if James is there at 14 you take him. Edmunds in the 3rd is a no brainer as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Haha, Jones, and Brice are all starter quality and Evans has the potential to be that this season as well. I would not be surprised if we don't pick a safety in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised either if we took one high. Obviously if James is there at 14 you take him. Edmunds in the 3rd is a no brainer as well.

I agree that Jones, Brice and Evans definitely have the potential to be successful in the NFL. They will have to perform up to it to make it work. With all of them not having a ton of experience it's anyone's guess if at least one of them will be able to.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes absolutely I just hope something turns out good hopefully King can be a good corner he needs more weight he is a string bean. Lack of depth in the secondary is scary I wish we could go back to the mike McKenzie al Harris Darren sharper days

Count me as somebody who will never wish for the days of Darren Sharper.

Scumbag.

Reaction score
I’m wondering if one direction Pettine is going is in “working with new clay”. It might be perceived to be almost more difficult to teach a player like Morgan a new system.
Not that he would be necessarily be an overall bad fit, but that he would be more equal to a current younger player in terms of the time needed to readjust.
Remember Josh is a blazing fast athlete for his size at 6’1X220lbs. (4.4.1X40). I remember reading about him when we drafted him and he was sorta known as a Ferel football player and that nearly all the NFL scouts commented how unrefined he was, but with massive potential. I think his upside is better than Morgan by 2019 and if trained properly? he could be that one player that turns the corner so to speak (No Pun) and becomes of the better hybrid SS/Slot CBs in the league.
I personally think he needed more time and training to refine his weaknesses and was thrown into the mix earlier than anticipated while he was still generally raw (which is exactly what we all saw when he would lose focus and bite on play action, etc.. just like they said) In college he could get away with that with his overwhelming athletic ability (20Reps, 132in BroadJump etc.) but in the Pros you’re raw speed becomes outmatched by your opponents ability to trick you.
I believe Pettine LOVES Josh Jones for exactly every characteristic above. Pettine is going to bring out the best in Josh who, up until now, was like a wild Colt that’s never been broke, but through the mistakes of his Rookie experience has a maturity edge over a complete Rook.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Jones, Brice and Evans definitely have the potential to be successful in the NFL. They will have to perform up to it to make it work. With all of them not having a ton of experience it's anyone's guess if at least one of them will be able to.
I will take those odds any day and look at other positions and focus my resources there. Beyond a promising 1st year player, who still must develop, what do we have at CB? Maybe Waters evolves, but beyond that I think the best we have is "serviceable".

H

HardRightEdge

I will take those odds any day and look at other positions and focus my resources there. Beyond a promising 1st year player, who still must develop, what do we have at CB? Maybe Waters evolves, but beyond that I think the best we have is "serviceable".
There isn't much of a choice at this juncture, is there?

I don't know if anybody else noticed that Pipkins is pretty darn good defending the run. He's got a nose for the ball and a knack with anticipation and angles. It started in preseason, blowing up runs in the backfield, and I seem to recall a couple of similar plays in the regular season in limited snaps though I don't know if they resulted in tackles for loss or just busting the play.

That's a good start for a SS/ box safety .

Of ourse at this juncture he's probably the #3 corner starting at nickel with King and Hawkins on the perimeter. :confused:

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt that cornerback is the position in most dire need of an upgrade on the roster. You're right that the safeties could turn out to be fine but I don't agree with the team having a lot of depth there.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt that cornerback is the position in most dire need of an upgrade on the roster. You're right that the safeties could turn out to be fine but I don't agree with the team having a lot of depth there.
I have a feeling if the CB from Ohio St. makes it to 9 or later in the draft we will make the move to trade up, I see we have interviewed him.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a feeling if the CB from Ohio St. makes it to 9 or later in the draft we will make the move to trade up, I see we have interviewed him.
Given the offer to Fuller, the brass is seeing what is obvious to all of us (how could it be otherwise?): getting a #1 corner is the absolute highest priority going forward to opening day. It was an evident priorty before they traded Randall; it shot to the top with no close second after the trade.

It would be a fair assumption to say that if they don't sign a current FA (Gaines and Denard are still out there, for example) or a cap casualty that emerges in the interim, the Packers will take a corner with the #1 pick, whether they draft at #14 or move up or down. And I don't think it will matter if they have to reach with some other guy having a 0.5 higher grade.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m wondering if one direction Pettine is going is in “working with new clay”. It might be perceived to be almost more difficult to teach a player like Morgan a new system.
Not that he would be necessarily be an overall bad fit, but that he would be more equal to a current younger player in terms of the time needed to readjust.
Remember Josh is a blazing fast athlete for his size at 6’1X220lbs. (4.4.1X40). I remember reading about him when we drafted him and he was sorta known as a Ferel football player and that nearly all the NFL scouts commented how unrefined he was, but with massive potential. I think his upside is better than Morgan by 2019 and if trained properly? he could be that one player that turns the corner so to speak (No Pun) and becomes of the better hybrid SS/Slot CBs in the league.
I personally think he needed more time and training to refine his weaknesses and was thrown into the mix earlier than anticipated while he was still generally raw (which is exactly what we all saw when he would lose focus and bite on play action, etc.. just like they said) In college he could get away with that with his overwhelming athletic ability (20Reps, 132in BroadJump etc.) but in the Pros you’re raw speed becomes outmatched by your opponents ability to trick you.
I believe Pettine LOVES Josh Jones for exactly every characteristic above. Pettine is going to bring out the best in Josh who, up until now, was like a wild Colt that’s never been broke, but through the mistakes of his Rookie experience has a maturity edge over a complete Rook.

I was fine with this post until the end where you say that you "... think that Pettine LOVES Josh Jones..."
Maybe it just the wording you used, but I'm fairly certain you have not talked to Pettine so, while its very possible that you are correct regarding his opinion of Jones, it is nothing but wild speculation and using the words "I think" do not, in my opinion, adequately mitigate that statement.

H

HardRightEdge

I doubt scheme fit was an issue. Burnett is awfully football smart having played a lot of different roles. Folks may not have noticed, but in 2019 Burnett played a lot of single-high safety when they'd bring C-D up in the box. He's played 2 high safety. He's played slot corner. He's played box safety. He's played ILB. And he played them all reasonably well.

I see the situation as similar to Hyde. Cap casualty. You want him, but not at that price given alternatives and the other things that need to get done.

The alternative to Hyde as #3 safety was Jones behind a couple of pretty good starters. Now he's #2 looking for the second year jump or maybe #3 behind Brice while playing a dose of hybrid ILB.

I don't think that's "love" so much as a calcualted risk. You just don't win without your rookie contract guys making those jumps, so you might as well take that risk.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would prefer the Packers selecting Jackson or Fitzpatrick over Ward. It's possible they have to trade up to get their guy though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers selecting Jackson or Fitzpatrick over Ward. It's possible they have to trade up to get their guy though.

Why??

I kind of get Fitz, not sure I agree....but I don't get Jackson. Jackson can't backpedal. He's essentially a zone only CB.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather not move up to get anyone. I think Ward and Jackson will be decent, but neither guy is worth giving up several picks for. I think if you are going to move up in the draft it would be moving up in round 2 or round 3 for a guy you are looking at. If anything in round 1 I would be ok with moving back if a guy like Roquan, Ward, or James isn't there.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a rookie, it's going to happen, especially in Dom's scheme that by all accounts was very confusing and hard to grasp. I'm much less concerned with Jones stepping in for Morgan than I am with the CB situation. Sounds like Pettine is going to simplify things which is music to my ears considering all the communication lapses we have watched over and over and over under Dom. Of course pressure on the QB will help everyone and I believe we will see a significant uptick in that next year. Adding Wilkerson (hopefully hungry and ready to re-prove himself) to Daniels and Clark will surely help keep those linebackers clean and able to get after it.
The issue wasn't that he looked lost, he just played too aggressively and misjudged angles and missed tackles, much like he did in college. I'll be honest in admitting that I can't pinpoint Burnett's contributions on every play, but when you noticed him, it was rarely due to an unfortunate play.

Jones looked like a revelation in some games, and a liability in others. I'm not sure experience will help, as he just seems to take a high risk/high reward approach to tackling. With a great supporting cast, that could work, but we need a dependable line of defense at his position.

I think he's best utilized as a matchup guy, or given a small area of space to defend, to reduce his margin for error. He's a disaster waiting to happen if we depend on him to keep guys in check in the open field, as he is going to miss his fair share of tackles at inopportune and very noticeable times.

Members online

Latest posts