Morgan Burnett to the Steelers

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting to get a little nervous. It's great that they signed Wilkerson and Graham, but still too many wholes and not a lot of $ to fill the needs.

H

HardRightEdge

Yet according to over the cap, Pitt only has 2.5 mil cap space.
They would intend to cut somebody or bodies of note to make space or do major contract restructurings with star players deferring cap with signing bonues.

$2.5 mil wouldn't even cover the added cap cost of their top picks let along the cost of Burnett. Then there's players 52 and 53, PS, IR/PUP reserve not included in the cap until final cut downs.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing someone, this leaves Rodgers, Crosby, Matthews and Bulaga as the only remaining players from the 2010 Super Bowl team.

H

HardRightEdge

I liked Burnett and hate to see him go. But we have a lot of depth at safety and can save some $ here.
Hmm.

1) There are 4 on the roster currently.

2) Brice is coming off an ankle injury bad enough to land him on IR.

3) If Pettine plans to use Jones at some hybrid ILB, even if Brice is healthy there is no backup at SS/ILB hybrid.

4) At the conclusion of season, C-D will be an unrestricted FA; Brice and Evans restricted FAs. Oh, wait. It's "win now". Never mind.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care if we don't have depth at safety right now. Giving more money to Burnett who has NEVER been a playmaking safety. he's been solid that's it, and that's fine, but hell if i'm giving vet money other than low ball offers to a guy like that anymore. I'd rather the opportunity to suck back there or get a playmaker than pay him a few million more to watch him miss more practices and be limited and miss more games and still not make any plays. His best days are long behind him and he's not even that old. I guess if they signed him for 2 million dollars we should have made an offer. Anything at or over what he was making with us around 6-7 million + and the Steelers can have him. Thanks for your efforts, but i don't see a player worth an investment anymore and I don't care who's not there behind him. At least Clay still plays with energy and can get in the ball park of earning some money with us. Burnett has been dependable at best and even that was slipping away. I can't remember the last time he had an INT Seahawks 2014?, a QB sack, a fumble, a big hit, a game changing play anything?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with Mondio in general, but sheesh....harsh! I think that you're right when you really peel back the layers. Brice looked good enough back there where I'd rather pay him than give a lot more money to Burnett. I doubt that Josh Jones is ready, but I expect that he will share some time back there learning even if he's playing the hybrid LB role.

Let's also not forget that we are just beginning to scratch the surface of the second wave of free agency. These are where the value FA start to move around. The Packers likely aren't done yet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm.

1) There are 4 on the roster currently.

2) Brice is coming off an ankle injury bad enough to land him on IR.

3) If Pettine plans to use Jones at some hybrid ILB, even if Brice is healthy there is no backup at SS/ILB hybrid.

4) At the conclusion of season, C-D will be an unrestricted FA; Brice and Evans restricted FAs. Oh, wait. It's "win now". Never mind.
If there were no salary cap, I would have the same attitude. Every team has holes and sacrifices have to be made at some positions to shore up others.

Of greater need, imho, are in order: CB, CB, WR, TE, OLB, OT, and OG.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a little harsh, I did like Burnett, he was fine. A good guy, we could do worse without a doubt, a lot worse. But we could also do a lot better. His best attribute was his dependability and lately he can't stay healthy or on the field. When he is, he's limited. I don't see that improving. At this point even at his best there are lots of guys capable of that level of play, even young ones.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I never saw the sense in giving a lucrative 3rd contract to a 29 year old SS a year after drafting his successor in the 2nd round. He was a really good Packer and I wish him well with the Steelers, but this move always made sense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting Josh Jones was a big sign that Burnett was gone.

Burnett is also 29, has missed 10 games the last 3 years, and while a solid/smart player, he is not a playmaker. I wouldn't give that guy a contract into his 30's personally.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ben Fennell on Twitter who I think is one of the best follows for level headed analysis had this to say...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts