Morgan Burnett to the Steelers

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never saw the sense in giving a lucrative 3rd contract to a 29 year old SS a year after drafting his successor in the 2nd round. He was a really good Packer and I wish him well with the Steelers, but this move always made sense.
Burnett is a much better player at the respective stages in their careers. Counting on Jones to be ready to take over as a starter is very risky. Safety is one of the easiest transitions in the NFL, and he had some horrible moments.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett is a much better player at the respective stages in their careers. Counting on Jones to be ready to take over as a starter is very risky. Safety is one of the easiest transitions in the NFL, and he had some horrible moments.

He was a rookie, it's going to happen, especially in Dom's scheme that by all accounts was very confusing and hard to grasp. I'm much less concerned with Jones stepping in for Morgan than I am with the CB situation. Sounds like Pettine is going to simplify things which is music to my ears considering all the communication lapses we have watched over and over and over under Dom. Of course pressure on the QB will help everyone and I believe we will see a significant uptick in that next year. Adding Wilkerson (hopefully hungry and ready to re-prove himself) to Daniels and Clark will surely help keep those linebackers clean and able to get after it.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rap reporting it's a 3 year deal for $14.5M... at that number I'd of taken him back. Wow

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naw. Jones will be fine. Should we be surprised a raw rookie was confused in a scheme where multi-year vets didn't know what the hell was going on?

Watch him play against Cincinnati. Jones will be just fine as a box safety.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He also had some really good ones.

The Packers very rarely give out 3rd contracts, and I personally think that's a good policy. It allows them to consistently keep their best players on 2nd contracts (when they're in their prime) and avoids the inevitability of a high bust rate. You don't want a lot of your cap space tied up in older, declining players. I can see exceptions being argued for in special cases, but Burnett was not one of those.

H

HardRightEdge

If there were no salary cap, I would have the same attitude. Every team has holes and sacrifices have to be made at some positions to shore up others.

Of greater need, imho, are in order: CB, CB, WR, TE, OLB, OT, and OG.
I agree, more or less. I was responding to your comment that "we have a lot of depth at safety." It's the same guys as last year minus Burnett, a group that did not perform all that well. If they're able to step it up, potentially 3 of the 4 are looking at raises in GB or elsewhere.

The Packers have no positions of depth except DT.

Reaction score
I liked Morgan but also noticed he was often under appreciated by us fans. Oddly that same sentiment did not resonate with the FO because his last contract was fairly lucrative at over 6.2M annually.
As far advice injury prone? I disagree. In his rookie season he was IRd after 4 games. Since that season he has averaged exactly 14 out of 16 games per season.
I think Morgan’s production was in line with his salary throughout his contract, but last year his production slipped a little. He was probably worth resigning in the 3-5M range (Safeties are not getting top dollar) but it all comes down to re-allocating the dollars that will be the least missed. 5M savings and playing Josh makes sense here I agree with that assertion/decision.

As someone said above let’s sink that in at a position or two that helps us focus on this draft from a “best available talent” perspective more and a “desperate positional need” less.

Oh and thank you Morgan for the memories. You’ll do just fine wherever you’ll land IMO.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Morgan was injury prone over his career at all, but I do think injuries are taking their toll. It's just a feeling. He seems to have things that nag and affect him on a weekly basis and they're pulling him out of games he started in and missing more time because of it.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care if we don't have depth at safety right now. Giving more money to Burnett who has NEVER been a playmaking safety. he's been solid that's it, and that's fine, but hell if i'm giving vet money other than low ball offers to a guy like that anymore. I'd rather the opportunity to suck back there or get a playmaker than pay him a few million more to watch him miss more practices and be limited and miss more games and still not make any plays. His best days are long behind him and he's not even that old. I guess if they signed him for 2 million dollars we should have made an offer. Anything at or over what he was making with us around 6-7 million + and the Steelers can have him. Thanks for your efforts, but i don't see a player worth an investment anymore and I don't care who's not there behind him. At least Clay still plays with energy and can get in the ball park of earning some money with us. Burnett has been dependable at best and even that was slipping away. I can't remember the last time he had an INT Seahawks 2014?, a QB sack, a fumble, a big hit, a game changing play anything?
I agreed with you up until the clay Matthews comments, let’s call a spade a spade already, Matthews sucks, has since the HGH rumors

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Morgan, he was solid. I didn’t think he was much of a playmaker, but he was above replacement level. I wish him well.

H

HardRightEdge

Members online

Latest posts