Minnesota Football Team?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do hope you make the effort to take the safety courses and get to the range a few times a year to practice. The people you need the weapon for aren't going to wait for her to google "how to load my pistol."
Oh, yeah, she likes to shoot. She's a control freak and a perfectionist, so she likes to compete against herself. We own a small farm about 20 miles from where we live, and I take her out there to practice. She's quite good.

I also got her something with a laser sight, to make it easier on her. Because even for the best of us, no matter how well-practiced you are, nobody knows how they're going to react until the moment actually comes.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am also in an interracial marriage. but i live in probably the most liberal state in the u.s. - california. i don't even bother to vote any more because you always know who's going to win before the election. but my wife and i have been to wisconsin a few times to visit family and i was keenly aware of people staring and giving dirty looks. not from my family, mind you. there's been other interracial relationships in my family. but just being out in public together.

still, i don't think i'd ever buy a gun though. i don't have anything against private gun ownership. i believe firmly in the right to do so. it just isn't for me.
That's the direction we're headed - West Coast, maybe Hawaii... my wife's Asian, and I know she'd be a lot more comfortable in a more diverse state. Her kid brother is in the Bay Area, working for Google, and I've lived there too. As well as in Hawaii. It's really a different world than the South, these days especially.

I understand and respect your views on gun ownership. She was the same way, which is why it shocked me when she came around a full 180 2 years ago and asked me to pick out a pistol. I've always been a gun owner, and she liked that I do and that I know how to use them, but for her to want one of her own.... to me it's just another measure of how much society has changed these past 5 years, and how rapid the change has been. I've known for many years it was going to come to this someday, but I always hoped it would wait until I was dead, damn it.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry about that! I didn't want to sound cranky. It's just that I am bothered by the fact that people need to feel they have to carry fire arms to protect themselves. We shouldn't be living in a society like that. So much has gone by the wayside, and it's unsettling for everyone.
Totally agree with you. It's very sad, isn't it? I think where you live makes a real difference too, though. In our area, stranger violence is quite common, and often involves firearms. There's a huge reservoir of anger, resentment, and outright hatred down here, just vaguely directed at people who are perceived as "others". It's an open carry state, and I see a half dozen or more sidearms every time I go to Walmart. This is just not the way I thought I'd be living the last 1/4 of my life.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with you. It's very sad, isn't it? I think where you live makes a real difference too, though. In our area, stranger violence is quite common, and often involves firearms. There's a huge reservoir of anger, resentment, and outright hatred down here, just vaguely directed at people who are perceived as "others". It's an open carry state, and I see a half dozen or more sidearms every time I go to Walmart. This is just not the way I thought I'd be living the last 1/4 of my life.

I understand what you're saying. I live in Texas.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can, but rarely CC. I think everyone should be trained on safety and use. Whether you chose to practice it or not is your choice, but I believe this right is actually a duty as a citizen of this fine nation to be able and ready should you be needed. Of all the reasons, tyranny is why they re-affirmed what they felt was a natural born right of all free citizens, is why we have it spelled out in the 2nd. It's not so you can hunt. It's so you can protect your own and be ready when called against foreign or domestic govt's. You may not think it relevant now, and I'd likely agree, but history is cyclical. It will be needed again, it's a guarantee. a gov't should have a little healthy fear of it's population.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can, but rarely CC. I think everyone should be trained on safety and use. Whether you chose to practice it or not is your choice, but I believe this right is actually a duty as a citizen of this fine nation to be able and ready should you be needed. Of all the reasons, tyranny is why they re-affirmed what they felt was a natural born right of all free citizens, is why we have it spelled out in the 2nd. It's not so you can hunt. It's so you can protect your own and be ready when called against foreign or domestic govt's. You may not think it relevant now, and I'd likely agree, but history is cyclical. It will be needed again, it's a guarantee. a gov't should have a little healthy fear of it's population.
This was not a discussion about political perspectives. It was along the lines of self protection from those who break the law. Also, the owning of firearms back in the 1700s was not intended as a tool to overthrow an elected government, which we have. If people continue to insist they have a right to own weapons to overthrow the government if they feel it isn't going the way they like, then I too will be against ownership of guns. One look at what's being bred throughout our nation in militias tells a story of why you can't trust a lot of people owning them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was not a discussion about political perspectives. It was along the lines of self protection from those who break the law. Also, the owning of firearms back in the 1700s was not intended as a tool to overthrow an elected government, which we have. If people continue to insist they have a right to own weapons to overthrow the government if they feel it isn't going the way they like, then I too will be against ownership of guns. One look at what's being bred throughout our nation in militias tells a story of why you can't trust a lot of people owning

Oh

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sorry! Didn't intend for my response to sound confrontational. Didn't have any coffee yet.
Oh shaw ... (sorry for my dirty mouth) ... every back-and-forth is going to be "confrontational" to one side or the other if the proper, approved terminology isn't used for both sides, at the same time. We're all "snowflakes" depending on the discussion - and THAT is term I don't use much. Only when I'm being dismissive. I admit it. Both sides are going to take umbrage at some point. Some by yelling their stance louder; some by cutting and pasting and some, by dropping an online dissertation that nobody reads anyway. I, for instance, have perfected the art of "V-scanning". I look for the loaded words, roll my eyes and move on to needling BuggyBill and Pokerbrat. "Pokerbrat" is an interesting handle. I mean, is that a sausage that you can move hot coals or logs with? He's never elaborated.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'm a Harry Truman liberal, not a Nancy Pelosi liberal, if that helps.
Also, there's a big difference between liberal and progressive. I associate the woke movement more with the progressives than the classic liberals, even though they all support each other to some extent.

Members online

Latest posts