Mike Pettine's Defence

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure the heat was affecting the guys down there too, even the ones that live there and are climatized to those conditions

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I thought the defense played well for the most part. The Thielen TD before the tying 2 point conversion was an incredibly fortunate play for the Vikings. I'm still trying to figure out how that ball got through Brice and Alexander.

That ball should have been batted down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the defense played well for the most part. The Thielen TD before the tying 2 point conversion was an incredibly fortunate play for the Vikings. I'm still trying to figure out how that ball got through Brice and Alexander.

That ball should have been batted down.
They saw each other, one didn't want to get taken out, and the other didn't want to take out his own guy. More awareness, and that is easily batted down with a very likely INT by either guy. Two young guys out there, we'll see if they grow. Lots to learn from in that game and we didn't lose so I guess that's a positive?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I really WANT to be flipping handsprings and crapping nickels over the defense ... I'm scheduling my gymnastics for after the 3rd consecutive leveled *** kicking.

Reaction score
I just want to see a 5 game average D scoring number obviously we all know that 1 game is speculative, especially as Offenses operate a bit stiff early in.

It’s my belief that we caught the Bears in their pajamas with sleep in their eyes so to speak. It doesn’t negate the team performance, but it’s not nearly enough to formulate a final ranking.

Just look at our Offense, we were right in line with playing stale. Other than 1-2 drives we looked very rusty. I see other teams boards counting us as an easy Win Weeks in advance, which is just ridiculously premature by any standard. They include the 49rs fans which is an absolute joke.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I just want to see a 5 game average D scoring number obviously we all know that 1 game is speculative, especially as Offenses operate a bit stiff early in.

Yep. I'm right there with ya. Pettine had the entire offseason to game plan for a questionable Bears offense. Pagano on the other hand didn't know what the heck to expect. Neither did we for that matter.

I hope Pettine is reminding that defense that our sole win in the division last year came in the first game ... against the Bears. That will be the "Message of the Week", I hope.

I'm not even going to go into "offense" in this thread - only because both offenses were offensive making it hard to gauge whether the Pack's defensive showing was a sole product of it's talent and coaching, or, if it was a post hoc ergo propter hoc thing.

For instance, Viking/Bears/Lions fans are going to say that the Pack's D isn't that impressive - that the Bears offense was so bad ... blah blah blah ... ehhh... could be rabbit...could be.

What I do know is that based on the eyeball test, this Defense looked a TON faster and stronger. Theyu also kept Trubisky in the pocket pretty much forcing him to throw. I liked that. Thing is that for all of HIS faults, Cousins will never be mistaken for Trubisky.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just the words and the attitude coming from the players post game shows me they're on the same page. I"ve mention it before but they were full of "we" and "us" and "get back to work" and Amos and his week 1 doesn't matter if they don't build on it for week 2. This game is done, they can't think about it, they have to get better for week 2. This tells me the coach has them with the right mindset.

It is only 1 week, and it was against Mitch. The Bears have weapons, but Mitch is limited in how he can beat you. This defense is faster, more flow, more assignment sound etc. They put steady pressure all game and kept contain on a mobile QB that likes to scramble. That's a tough task, usually those contained rushes mean the pressure gets less many plays. We were still able to apply it. This bodes well for going against non mobile QB's too because we haven't seen their full rush capabilities when they can just unleash.

Reaction score
I liked Mikes switch to a single ILB on many plays. We brought Preston and ZaDarius up back n forth and got involved, taking it to them..... instead of us waiting for them to come to us. Trubisky didn’t know who was rushing where.

H

HardRightEdge

We lined up with 4 Corners and 2 Safety's and just 1 Linebacker (Blake Martinez) most of game.
Snap counts:

Amos: 100%
Savage: 100%
Greene: 77%

Williams: 100%
Alexander: 100%
King: 58%
Brown: 37%
Jackson: 4%

The Packers averaged 3 CBs per snap, some 2 corner base sets, mostly 3, maybe 4 or 5 were out there on 3rd. and 30 and 3rd. and 40. But it was predominantly your standard issue 3-corner nickel defense.

From one snap to the next, you might call Greene a safety or an ILB depending on the offensive formation, who he's lined up over, and what he does. But in general, he played ILB. "Hybrid ILB" is the most useful term, a mix of ILB and box safety roles. There may have been some snaps where he dropped out of the box to a traditional safety role. Any way you cut it, your characterization is not correct. Base defense, lined up in the box over or slightly outside the tackle on the weak side: That is indisputably an ILB regardless of the number on his jersey. But whatever you call Greene on any particular snap he is not a CB.

I don't understand the necessity of doing backflips to call a guy who who walks and quacks like a duck something else. His name may be Raven, but his predominant role was as that ILB duck. I fail to see how it is constructive to call a guy like Burks an ILB, then plug Greene into the same role and call him a DB.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the necessity of doing backflips to call a guy who who walks and quacks like a duck something else. His name may be Raven, but his predominant role was as that ILB duck. I fail to see how it is constructive to call a guy like Burks an ILB, then plug Greene into the same role and call him a DB.

That was posted last year. :D

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It’s my belief that we caught the Bears in their pajamas with sleep in their eyes so to speak. It doesn’t negate the team performance, but it’s not nearly enough to formulate a final ranking.

Just look at our Offense, we were right in line with playing stale. Other than 1-2 drives we looked very rusty. I see other teams boards counting us as an easy Win Weeks in advance, which is just ridiculously premature by any standard. They include the 49rs fans which is an absolute joke.
Right from the beginning, trotting out the 85 team, the Bears seemed to be looking past the Packers.

And Trubisky, even on his best day, just isn’t a franchise QB. He’s a serviceable starter, but he won’t carry the team on his back. He’s not as useful as Cutty used to be, but IMO, just an average starting QB.

And yeah we need 5 games to make a real assessment on the team, especially the O. I’ll give MLF the benefit of the doubt as the season’s early, but they must play much, much better to get past the Queens this week.

The D looks like the real thing. We’ll find out over the next month.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm blaming you anyway for resurecting some old thread. ;) Consider it a compare and contrast then.
If Amos and Savage play to their abilities, and the opener was promising, GB may have the luxury of using Greene as the second ILB.

But that’s not ideal. We’ll see if the acquisition from the Giants can help, but man, that ILB group is thin.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loving the defense so far. The outsider rushers actually play the pass and run at the same time. Clay was a beast but it was easy to run on his side and take him out of the play.

So far so good, my only knock was when GB ran a 3 man rush. That formation should be banned from GB maybe the NFL lol. Great way to give the offense easy yards. Even the announcer acknowledged this fact.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised on performance of Sullivan and Redmond. Our D has grown leaps and bounds this year. Once Gary settles in and Burks is back to full, it'd be fearsome. The kind that wins SB.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
XPack, you're not kidding. Sullivan and Redmond both played very well yesterday. Good to see.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy worries me. He reminds me so much of Capers, with his "exotic looks" which vacate 20 square yards portions of the field.

I really wish they'd just run a generic Tampa 2. We have the talent on the line to get pressure with a 4 man rush and players in the secondary who can handle their assignments. Big plays to open receivers and the running game are killers right now, and there is no excuse with the talent on this defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha, I don’t think it’s designed to vacate 20 yards of field. I think Redmond had a bad day at safety and then some miscommunication at other times.

mad it stood, teams are scoring lots of points again this year and until that game was over, da raiders had 17 until a meaningless TD at the end scoring the same they scored against da Bears.

get Campbell back to take Greene’s role. Move Amos back and savage back on the field and we’re more than fine. So is Pettine.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's absolutely terrible. Imagine if Mahomes was out there. The defense is going to kill us in the playoffs, yet again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it’s fairly obvious they are willing to live with **** and dunk and tighten up when the field gets too short for the big explosive plays.

then take their shots on defense when they see the opportunity.

our offense needs to start moving the chains again

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah i agree with allowing **** and dunk and bend but don't break.

If you can keep an NFL Offense UNDER 20 points in a game then I'll take it

Which our D has done ASIDE from the Eagles and Lions games, the Raiders and Cowboys were garbage time touchdowns near the end which i'm fine with..

Bend but don't break

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
early on the D carried the team. the secondary played a lot of man coverage and blitzed more likely than not. the O was trying to be a big-play offense (mccarthy/rodgers) and was just able to do enough to win. the O's now more focused on moving the chains (mlf/rodgers) and it's resulting in scoring a lot more points. the D on the other hand has become a soft zone D that's giving up yards and points at a much higher rate. sacks and turnover numbers have dropped. maybe it's injury related. i don't know, but it's going to catch up with them. time to get back to pressuring the opposition more. i think the tackling would probably improve too. too much space being given makes things more difficult imo.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts