1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Neal to OLD....you can't be serious

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by bubblercheez37, Jan 25, 2012.

1. bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Woops I meant OLB not OLD haha....anyway I read on JS Online the other day quoting Trovac saying that they are considering moving Mike Neal to OLB next year. Are they serious?! Of course, I guess it can't get any worse for Neal at DE...

2. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Mod needs to change your title lol!!!

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    notsureifsrs. That would be a terrible idea. He's a little too heavy and he's not quick at all.

Mike Neal might in fact come around to being a productive player with a good offseason. His knee surgery before the season started probably affected his ability as well.

I think the team will give him another opportunity to show everybody what he's capable of, but we should still take a defensive end in the draft anyway.

4. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    We even if Neal does make the jump in the off season we still need more depth. we were dangerously thin on the DL this season. I remember one game we were down to 4 and one went out for a time. 3 DL, now that's cutting it thin.

5. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Agreed. Not arguing that at all. In addition to obviously drafting a Defensive End, I really like Mike Martin coming in and being a Nose Tackle. Love that guy from what I've been seeing at the Senior Bowl practices.

6. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +844
    I don't think Mike Neal can make the transition to OLB. OLB's need to be able to play in coverage and do more than just rush the passer. I'd just like to see him stay healthy and be a good defensive end.

7. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    No harm in giving the guy a look. My guess is it doesn't work out, but you never know. I have faith in our coaching staff.

8. Wills29

Wills29 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +36
    They say this guy is a serious Body Builder type which means he needs to be in that 3 point stance. He's never be able to cover the TE on a seam route, heck our current OLB's can't cover a TE on a seam route, especially on 3rd down!

9. B-ri

B-ri Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    This would, in essence, be giving up on Neal. I doubt it happens. Give the guy an offseason and see if he can come back and be productive at DE. Hopefully they draft an OLB somewhere

10. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Can't see this happening. He'd have to lose weight to gain speed to make this move. Like B-ri said this would be a last ditch effort to salvage his career. If he failed there he'd be done!

11. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    Source?

12. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I'll be surprised if this experiment lasts very long. Way too "stiff" for pass coverage IMO. Now, if Capers wants to see if he can rush the passer from a two-point stance, that's different. And to avoid being too predictable they could occasionally have him in coverage in a zone blitz situation - very occasionally. I mean, even BJ Raji went into coverage on a zone blitz in a very memorable game.

If they think he's ill-suited to play DE or DT on passing downs it would make more sense to me to have him add weight and even more strength this off season and switch him to NT. I know he's light for a NT but with his incredible strength that would have a better shot at success. If his injuries have affected his quickness, he's not going to be more than a journeyman and that'll be a shame. Here's hoping for a healthy off season for Mike Neal and that we'll see the player full time we've only seen glimpses of so far.

13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Not picking on you specifically The Real Pack Attack, but comments like this were routinely made last year about Mario Williams making the same switch in Houston. It wasn't made to "salvage" his career. If Neal is a weight room junky and slightly too heavy, it wouldn't be that difficult for him to cut down to weight. The speed in coverage is the key. However, we've never seen this guy truly healthy except at the start of training camp. I'd like to think that Trovac knows more about Neal's abilities than all of us combined.

His thought about switching Neal might reflect what Neal's natural abilities might actually be, not what position he's been playing all along. In the end, this could also be Travoc's way of lighting a fire under Neal to get him motivated to be a good DL. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    I just don't see him having the speed to make this move. His 40 times coming out of college ranged in the mid 4.80's. Not gonna cut it if he has to cover a TE or RB. I also think he's too stiff, probably because he's so bulked up.

I personally am hoping that this whole year was a bust for him because of the injury to his knee. Hopefully he can build up strength in the knee and come back next year and show us the real Mike Neal!

15. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I don't see the point of it. The Packers already don't have enough depth on the DL even with Mike Neal.

16. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    After some searching, I think I found it:

Link: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/individual-report-card-defense-7l3sfco-137833488.html

17. bubblercheez37

Ratings:
    +8
  18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Funny now that Seifert is talking about another DE, Cliff Avril, as converting to OLB for the Packers.

19. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    If we signed Avril as a FA, would't it be better to keep him at DE? It's not like we have anyone there to speak of.

Avril may come with a high price tag though...too high perhaps. Also, he's playing great this season but I almost have the feeling that once he gets that phat contract he may not be the same player.

20. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Abril doesn't really fit the 3-4 DE body type. He's long, lean, and rangy. I really like his game.

21. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Avril would be much more useful at OLB in our scheme. 6'3 250-260.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bubblercheez37

Ratings:
    +8
    how many sacks did Avril have this year?

23. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    10 or 11. Somewhere around there. But we have to take into account having Suh and Fairley on that line make it a lot easier for him to get to the QB. Could he duplicate that production here as an OLB? Hard to say. Especially if we don't have guys on the line that can get a push. If we have a good defensive end on that right side, I think he could create a lot of havoc in the backfield

24. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Tell that to Aaron Kampman who started to really pick it up at the end of our first year in the 3-4.

25. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I think you got my post backwards. Avril is a 4-3 DE in Detroit like Kampman was in GB's old 4-3 scheme. Someone suggested Avril play DE in our 3-4 scheme. And I suggested that Avril is better suited to play OLB in our system, like Kampman did.