1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Neal Out

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Rodgers_Forever, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Rodgers_Forever

Rodgers_Forever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    "Packers DE Mike Neal is out indefinitely after undergoing a surgical operation on his knee this week.
    Coach Mike McCarthy characterized Neal's timetable for return as "considerable," which doesn't sound good. McCarthy did say Neal isn't an I.R. candidate yet. Jarius Wynn acquitted himself well at right end in the opener, racking up four tackles (three solo), and a sack. Wynn will remain the starter."
    -From Rotoworld

Not looking good for Mike Neal, I'm glad Wynn looked good last week. Do you guys think we'll be able to generate enough pressure w/ CJ and Wynn?

2. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Aug 17th: "It’s nothing," Neal said. "I just fell down. Nothing’s torn at all. I just have a little inflammation. Everybody’s tripping out for no reason. I’m not on crutches or anything. I’m walking perfectly fine."

Guess not, Mike.

I just lowered my expectations even further on this guy: From `Probably a bust`to `almost certainly a bust`.

3. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    Woah now, lets not go labeling him a bust...dude just got injured, but he has the potential to be a very good player.

I define bust as not living up to your expectations, but when you're injured, you don't have the opportunity to live up to them.

At least he had surgury now, so we can let him get healthy for our postseason run.

Besides, have you seen the talent on this football team, we've got a pretty easy schedule the first 16 weeks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    yeah you and I have different definitions of a bust.

Greg Cook, not a bust.

Jamarcus Russell, a bust.

5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    This must be why Mike apparently quit Twitter the other day.
    I noticed a Tweet from Jason Wilde or Tyler Dunn retweeting a twit from Neal saying goodbye to Twitter.

Someone must have called him on that BS above.

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    That's great that they let Cullen Jenkins go in favor of this guy's potential.
    Jenkins would miss 3, 5 games a year.
    This guy can't make it thru 3 games a year.
    And at least we know Cullen produces out there.
    With Mike, he "looks like" he will. But we never know.

7. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    Jamarcus Russell is the definition of a bust. His 300 lb fat a$$ is probably laughing and sipping some purple drank while counting Al Davis's money.

• Like Like x 1
  8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    I told someone not to long ago on here, that dont count on Neal, as he is always hurt..

Hate to be right

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Significant in MM's terms a lot of times means season-ending. Not good, not good. I wish him a speedy recovery, and Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson a great season, because we'll need it.

10. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    How is someone who never plays because of injuries living up to expectations? Its not my expectation they get injured, and you can't "assume" they are going to play well when they are in there. Every player has the potential to play well because they were picked up by an NFL team, meaning they played well in college. At this point I refrain from using the bust word on most players but I will say mike neals injuries have been a disappointment.

11. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    We can't miss what we never had. In my book he never contributed to the team so if we won a Super Bowl and the season opener without him, we can win any game without him.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JamesCA

JamesCA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    If he's going to be out for half a season or more then they should IR him and maybe look at Igor Olshansky who knows the 3-4 defense.

13. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    hope Neal gets better,just glad we have guys who are stepping up,and playing witch Whynn is doing.

14. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Agreed. The fact they haven't IR'd him leaves some hope. Another possible candidate to replace him would be ex-Bears and Colts Tommie Harris. He's not a true 3-4 DE, but he looked pretty good in the preseason. I believe he is still available.

Hopefully Vic So'oto can replicate his great preseason in the regular season and help provide some more pass rush.

15. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I got a bunch of grief over my posts about the DL and Neal a month or so ago when I voiced concerns about his health, and depth of the DL. Not happy I was right but it appears I was correct about the injury bug and his ability to be healthy. We really need to avoid DL guys with injury problems in college that manifest again at the pro level. I think keeping Jenkins was the smart thing. Even if Wynn continues to play like he did in the first game we are so thin on the DL. I'm afraid another guy will get nicked there.

16. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Just play a 2-4-5 the rest of the year. Two down linemen. Raji and whoever else can fog a mirror. We will still outscore all other opponents.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Just a flesh wound...

• Like Like x 2
  18. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I think that would be me you said that to. I agree, I hate that you're right.

19. PackersDraft

PackersDraft Draftnik

Ratings:
    +47
    I would not label A.J. Hawk, Reggie Bush, or Carson Palmer as a bust. I would label Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, and Ryan Leaf all as busts. Mike Neal is not a bust. However, a 3-4 end is something I would be wiling to bed that Ted is going to target in next year's draft. Ted loves his big defensive lineman.

20. JASIII

JASIII Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    There's zero % chance of Olshansky coming to GB. I've heard numerous times he's not the personality type TT wants. He's not "Packer People". Read into that what you will...

21. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Is Justin Harrell still available, in shape, and healthy? He was just as available his first two seasons as Neal looks to be. May as well try to get him for min wage to get some worth out of him. He did play (study) in Caper's D for his entire short-lived injury filled career.

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Yeah it was..You wanted to count on Neal and I said dont

23. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    It was like this. I have seen players get hurt once and people call them injury risks. Neal only had been hurt last year. I just expected him to come in and play a good portion of the season. I really didn't think it would be so brief.
    I hope I'm wrong but it feels like another Harrell situation.
    So my whole position about letting Jenkins leave is obviously wrong. I sure do wish we had him now.

24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,485
    http://www.packerforum.com/threads/eagles-dream-team.29190/page-2#post-377768

Aug 16th is when I posted about Neal and not being healthy...

Now I really wish they kept Cullen

25. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Well crap. 10 days ago they supposedly weren’t sure if he’d play against the Saints and now surgery. The Packers have 5 healthy DL and with Neal out for probably a couple of months I checked the practice squad to see who was up next… … … Apparently that player is currently on another teams’ practice squad or pursuing employment outside of the NFL. It’s pretty obvious Jenkins wasn’t going to be in their plans no matter what since they could have afforded what Philly paid him. I’d guess it was because they view him as injury prone too and young injury prone is preferable to old injury prone.