The Mike Neal Question

H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy's comment from today's presser:

On linebacker/defensive end Mike Neal:

"We're focused on some different things as far as what his job responsibility is now. Him trimming down has helped me with that, being better in space. He's still very explosive. Mike is still strong enough to go inside and play a 3-technique. It's about finding that balance."

From these comments you would have never guessed Neal took all of the snaps at LDE with the first team in TEN. So the question is, "why would a 265 lb. man fitting McCarthy's above description (or any description for that matter) be playing DE in a 3-4. I hesitate to think it's because of the training camp performance to-date of the other candidates. My hesitation stems from the fact that would be not be a good thing at all.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only sense it would make for Neal to play on the D line weighing 265 would be as a pass rusher in a 3rd and long situation. I can see that scenario making sense especially if the Packers want to rotate enough D lineman to keep them fresh.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal scares me. He either reacts too early sometimes or reacts incorrectly.....just like the offense wants him to. I will never forget him getting sucked in on the qb roll out only to have the FB he was covering in the flat catch the ball once he abandoned him to rush the qb.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
McCarthy's comment from today's presser:

On linebacker/defensive end Mike Neal:

"We're focused on some different things as far as what his job responsibility is now. Him trimming down has helped me with that, being better in space. He's still very explosive. Mike is still strong enough to go inside and play a 3-technique. It's about finding that balance."

From these comments you would have never guessed Neal took all of the snaps at LDE with the first team in TEN. So the question is, "why would a 265 lb. man fitting McCarthy's above description (or any description for that matter) be playing DE in a 3-4. I hesitate to think it's because of the training camp performance to-date of the other candidates. My hesitation stems from the fact that would be not be a good thing at all.

After reading this......

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...packers-defensive-snaps?ex_cid=espnapi_public

something doesnt jive

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Neal played OLB against Tennessee. They list him also as "DE" but I don't think he'll ever play that position, he'll play 3tech in the nickle formations if he goes on the line. I suppose they could list him more accurately as OLB/DT but they probably don't really care.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been wondering for months whether the personnel "ideally" fit a 3-4 or if Capers would like to play a hybrid 4-3 with bigger "DE/OLB" guys like Peppers & Neal. If the Packers are staying a 3-4 team and if they're intending for Neal's position to be primarily DL, at 265, are they showcasing him for a trade to a 4-3 team?

Between Matthews and Peppers the Packers already have about $20Mil/yr. invested in OLB's. Neal just signed a 2yr/$8Mil deal and would be a $2.5Mil cap hit if traded... but does he add that kind of value to the D as a backup OLB/D-lineman?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I was mistaken. After seeing your post I went back and looked at the replay again. I think I brainf*rted and flipped 96 and 95 in my mind. Neal did not play DE against TEN; it was D. Jones out there. Since Jones was unimpactful and looks quite lean, nothing jumped out at me to flag my mistake.

Sorry guys. The lineup was consistent with McCarthy's comments and everything we've been led to believe throughout the off season.

Whether Neal should be viewed as an ILB or 3-tech nickel DT will end up being a matter of where he gets his snaps. Whether a 265 lb. man can muster much pass rush as a 3-tech down lineman, or hold his point on run play, remains to be seen.

The thing I found surprising, and a bit alarming (thinking he was getting snaps in base at DE) is evidently not in the cards. Strike this as an unexpected wrinkle.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Before Neal got caught using PED's, he was clearly a 3-4 DE. Now he's clearly a 4-3 DE. He is going to play a big 3-4 OLB, which maybe he'll be decent at, but I'd really like to see him a 4-3 DE. He kind of seems lost in the NFL post-PED's, though, and now he's trying to reinvent himself. We'll see what happens but I don't think he'll ever be better than average.

Neal had five sacks and led the team in pressures during his first season playing OLB. The guy has potential playing outside in a 3-4 and reported 12 pounds lighter for this year´s camp.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts