Mike McCarthy Opinion Poll

What is your Opinion of MM

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

Do you have the numbers by year? Be interesting to see if it has fallen.

Also how good were the defenses we played with Clements. Such a short period of time.

The Packers with McCarthy calling the plays averaged 18.8 points in 2006, 27.2 in '07, 26.2 in '08, 28.8 in '09, 24.3 in '10, 35.0 in '11, 27.1 in '12, 26.1 in '13, 30.4 in '14, 19.8 in four games last year as well as 24.8 through nine games this season.

Clements faced some tough opponents playing five games against defenses that finished last season in the top 6 in points allowed.

In case everyone missed the memo today,MM reminded everyone that he is "A highly successful NFL head coach" I tried to give the guy a pass,but these remarks are borderline arrogant and or desperate. Almost like he is letting us know what he has conveyed to the team and they are not listening. ****** me off all the same making those comments after yesterday. I think if it were another organization his time would be over. If someone has to tell you how good they are,deep down they know they aren't that good

I'm even more mad about McCarthy saying he isn't worried about the team at all. Did he somehow manage to miss the last two games???

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm even more mad about McCarthy saying he isn't worried about the team at all. Did he somehow manage to miss the last two games???

I read that as well and just shook my head. I think MM is denial stage at this point. Really, this isn't even about the last 2 games, its more about the last 21 or so. Consistently, MM seems to be getting outcoached each game and now to compound matters, respect for him has free fallen amongst the Packer fan base and more importantly, his players as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/14/mike-mccarthy-im-a-highly-successful-nfl-coach/

Last edited:

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the ramblings of a man that is beginning to feel the heat. As I've said, he is a good coach and he deserves to be a head coach elsewhere, but his time is Green Bay is done. It doesn't matter what your resume is when the team isn't playing for you anymore and how we all keep hearing week after week for the past year+ about how you need to clean things up and execute better, because obviously you're not cleaning it up.

OP
OP
Zeck180

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets just for the pure fun of it that MM and Capers both get fired, who would be the best hire for the Packers?

My small list for HC would be
Lovie Smith, Bob Stoops(very unlikely), Urban Meyer, Tom Coughlin.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets just for the pure fun of it that MM and Capers both get fired, who would be the best hire for the Packers?

Honestly I highly doubt any of those, likely an offensive or defensive coordinator somewhere. I would say the list of "possible" is HUGE.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has been abandoned by TT. Players drop like flies and all TT does is get Nile Davis. Ron Wolf didn't turn his back on Holgren and fail to get players when the injuries took their toll. However, MM's teams are soft and apathetic where he shoilders much of the blame. They are both locked together in
mutual shared guilt.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that as well and just shook my head. I think MM is denial stage at this point. Really, this isn't even about the last 2 games, its more about the last 21 or so. Consistently, MM seems to be getting outcoached each game and now to compound matters, respect for him has free fallen amongst the Packer fan base and more importantly, his players as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/14/mike-mccarthy-im-a-highly-successful-nfl-coach/

Yeah ... it's crazy. Many of us have gotten tough on Rodgers for his smug mentality, if you want to call it that, and yes there's been some grounds to do so with his performance dropping off and all. But it's really starting to look like Mike McCarthy is doing the same thing and when it's the head coach doing that, that's even worse.

Many of us have prognosticated a lot of things about Rodgers having problems off the field, some have brought up the 2014 NFCCG, MM lost his brother right around that same time and I'm just starting to think somehow it's caused him to snap. We not only have to deal with the new Rodgers, we're clearly dealing with the new McCarthy as well and that's why this thing's gone completely AWOL.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you kidding me? That guy plays in the weakest conference in cfb and can't win a big game to save his ********* life. Most overrated college football coach in the history of the game. He is so bad he could not even win a single nfl game if he tried.

Coughlin can't coach anymore, if he could he never woulda gotten the boot out of New York.

OP
OP
Zeck180

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? That guy plays in the weakest conference in cfb and can't win a big game to save his ********* life. Most overrated college football coach in the history of the game. .
So the Big 12 is so weak that why we have the exact same number of national titles as the big 10 has in the same time period. If he was the coach at Wisconsin you'd be ready to sign him yesterday.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Big 12 is so weak that why we have the exact same number of national titles as the big 10 has in the same time period. If he was the coach at Wisconsin you'd be ready to sign him yesterday.

They have maybe one or 2 teams that do anything of value any given year, and they constantly get embarrassed when they actually play anyone good. Bob Stoops plays against sh*tty coaches every conference game, but put him up against Urban Meyer who's kicked his *ss 2x now, put him up against Pete Caroll who owned his butt, put him up against Brian Kelly who also destroyed him, put him up against any other good coach out there and they have kicked his *ss repeatedly.

That's TRUTH. Bob Stoops ain't won a damn thing in his career. Zero!! Nada!!! Stupid coach.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know it's bad when he needs to say "I'm a highly successful coach."

Would Belichick actually say to everyone that he's "highly successful"? Would Vince Lombardi?

H

HardRightEdge

You know it's bad when he needs to say "I'm a highly successful coach."

Would Belichick actually say to everyone that he's "highly successful"? Would Vince Lombardi?
Braggadocio is trending these days. "Make the Packers Great Again!" ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Good article by Demovsky. I would have added one more piece to the puzzle of the Packers demise on offense as it relates to having enough talent at the skilled positions. When the Packers lost Jordy last year, AR lost his #1 Play Maker, without much else to work with, the Packers offense slowly declined and with that so did AR's confidence in the ability of the other play makers he was working with. It wasn't instant, but a gradual thing. A dropped pass here, a blown route there and pretty soon less production resulting in losses. I truly believe AR's skills have not declined, but with a lack of young or impactful playmakers, his confidence in himself and the team has been greatly effected.

Jordy's injury may have set this all in motion, but I would put the blame squarely on TT for having way too much confidence in the other WR's he had accumulated as well as never successfully addressing the TE position after Finley was lost.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
buy why was it just Jordy? We can all clearly see Adams is a different guy this year. He's faster, he's quicker, and he's looking like he is picking up after his rookie season instead of trying to shuffle thru on one good leg all year like last year. Cobb had a separated AC joint much of last year, try beating a jam with that. Then he worked his way back and was injured again.

Lacy was hurt his ankle, was overweight and out of shape. Our oline was a turnstile of injuries all year long. We didn't have a great TE, that's true, but most teams don't. Our problem was we were basically down 3 starting caliber WR's and RB. That's a lot of playmakers to make up for. Toss in an Oline that could barely stand in the way for much of the season last year and it was ugly at times. It was much more than Jordy. I think it did affect Rodgers and it's carried over. He's still pretty good, but he's missed throwing to and seeing the field like he used to.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jordy's injury may have set this all in motion, but I would put the blame squarely on TT for having way too much confidence in the other WR's he had accumulated as well as never successfully addressing the TE position after Finley was lost.

It seems you were right with your evaluation of the Packers wide receivers while I expected the unit to perform at an elite level again this season. The lack of talent at the position as well as not having a decent tight end since Finley was lost for good is on Thompson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Most know that I am/was a big fan of James Jones and I admit I have him over rated because of that. But the fact that he came in last year and led the Packers in receiving should have been very telling as to where our WR talent level was/is. Granted, almost every WR, but Jones, missed time last year with injuries, but even when they were healthy, their inability to step up and be "that guy" should have sent a signal to TT that all was not that well with our WR group and it might be an area to look long and hard at. Instead, he cuts James Jones, stays pat on Janis and Abby, assumes Jordy will come back at 100%, splashes a 5th round pick on speed by picking Davis and signs a vet TE with apparent talent, but question marks. So the Packers and AR start the season with some renewed confidence that they can get back to the force they once were on offense, especially with Jordy back and Cook at TE. Instead, Jordy is rusty and inconsistent and the other receivers, for the most part, are playing at their 2015 level of inconsistency and inability to make big plays. Frustrations build and AR continues his decline towards playing like an average QB who can't carry his team.

At this point, for 2016, I hold out hope that Jordy continues to improve and he seems to be, Adams continues to get better, which he also appears to be, Cobb keeps contributing at the level he has been and Cook stays healthy enough and plays like the big, fast TE with potential that we hoped for. All 4 of these guys, along with MM learning to play call around their abilities, are keys in helping AR regain his confidence in them and the offense. But I would hope that whoever is running the draft or shopping the FA Market in 2017, takes a long hard look at both TE and WR as very real needs for the Packers.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why should big plays be happening more this year? because everyone is so afraid of our running game and the play action pass? were were freaking GD money on play action passes, but give me a single reason it would be successful this year? and it's not like we haven't had big play opportunities. We've hit a few and Rodgers has missed a few badly, and some WR's have missed to.

and Who were our healthy WR's besides guys below #4 on the depth chart last year for more than 2 games? and that ignores what was going on at the Oline and everywhere else on the team. and this year it ignores that we're more than 4 positions deep lost at RB, we're starting our 4th and 5th on the depth chart DB's for much of the year and all Rodgers throwing in the dirt when he should be getting easy first downs at bad times.

This team needs to be more consistent all the way around and things will be a lot better.

Members online

Latest posts